Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Super-mega-ultrathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we do take sheed if he's available. Need someone who isn't fumbly and has elite skills, unlike the majority of our other mids. His lack of speed doesn't worry me, he seems like he'd be smart/strong/evasive enough to limit how often he got caught. Use our later picks to get some speed.
I'm not sure Sheed is considered to have elite kicking skills, but rather is pretty good at everything (no elite attributes). That being said if we got him I would be more the happy as he is very good and is a likely type.

But there are options in the draft who I would be equally happy with.

Agree but speed is definately an issue for us. In a perfect world we need to draft a line breaking, goal kicking, fast and skilfull mid (the WCE version of Judd will do).

Also Barlow and Fyfe have pretty average disposal and Fyfe is far from big bodied.

He's not a Josh Kennedy or Jobe Watson yet but he's 190 and 90kg's which is similar to Jack Darling, he's put on a lot of weight since 2009 -

FYFE%20Nat_draft_246_meeta.jpg

Instead of yarran how about this bloke that should be around at our second pick !
DWAYNE WILSON Height: 177cm Weight: 72kg Team/Club: South Australia/Sturt/ Imperials Position: Midfielder Player Comparision: Danyle Pearce Draft Range: 20-30 Player Profile Another standout performer from SA’s
National Championship winning side, SA
were littered with stars, and Dwayne
Wilson is definitely one of them. Wilson
is the perfect outside midfielder, who it
gutsy, determined, and loves to take off, blazing away from opponents Lewis
Jetta-style, and delivering the ball inside
50 in elite fashion. Wilson is the type of
player that his teammates during the
championships looked to get the ball into
the hands of, as often as possible. He is a stunning player, with polish and class,
elite disposal efficiency and a brilliant
footy IQ. Given Wilson’s pace, he adds
some serious speed to the midfield,
where his line-breaking runs off a wing set up play, often electing to run and carry and find a
target lace out with ease, he is quite the package. Wilson is also a noted goal kicker, often seen letting loose from outside or just on 50, or sharking the ball at ground level in the forward line,
before dodging, weaving and bobbing up with a goal from nowhere; he just tends to create
something out of nothing with ease. Wilson also has all the makings of a very versatile player,
and could become aLeon Davis/Chris Yarran type player off half back, where his speed, agility,
clean hands and elite kick could propel his team into attack, and his 80m players penetrate
forward for scoring opportunities.; however will mould more into an good midfielder like Danyle Pearce/Travis Varcoe type. A team that is looking to inject some serious speed and pace in the
midfield will find Wilson on top of their list, he’ll add instant substance with immediate effect.

Instead of yarran how about this bloke that should be around at our second pick !
DWAYNE WILSON Height: 177cm Weight: 72kg Team/Club: South Australia/Sturt/ Imperials Position: Midfielder Player Comparision: Danyle Pearce Draft Range: 20-30 Player Profile Another standout performer from SA’s
the hands of, as often as possible. He is a stunning player, with polish and class,
where his line-breaking runs off a wing set up play, often electing to run and carry and find a
target lace out with ease, he is quite the package. Wilson is also a noted goal kicker, often seen letting loose from outside or just on 50, or sharking the ball at ground level in the forward line,
before dodging, weaving and bobbing up with a goal from nowhere; he just tends to create
something out of nothing with ease. Wilson also has all the makings of a very versatile player,
and could become aLeon Davis/Chris Yarran type player off half back, where his speed, agility,
clean hands and elite kick could propel his team into attack, and his 80m players penetrate
forward for scoring opportunities.; however will mould more into an good midfielder like Danyle Pearce/Travis Varcoe type. A team that is looking to inject some serious speed and pace in the
midfield will find Wilson on top of their list, he’ll add instant substance with immediate effect.

Sounds like he's exactly what we need

Anyone know when Nick Robertson is playing again? I heard he was training with the Dockers at the start of this year. Good size Midfielder who can win his own ball and kick goals. Might be someone west coast will be interested in.

Anyone know when Nick Robertson is playing again? I heard he was training with the Dockers at the start of this year. Good size Midfielder who can win his own ball and kick goals. Might be someone west coast will be interested in.

A few people on BF think he could drop to the 3rd round. If available would be a good pickup.

Sounds good but he's icing and not cake. Given our biggest midfield deficiency seems to be bigger bodied inside mids who can clear the ball effectively we need to look at them before Wilson.
indeed. But still, you'd rather waste a 3rd rounder on a prospect like this then throw away for a flawed player like Yarren.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Wilson's short stature and speed, he could also be used a BP, to shut down opposition smalls that seem to run riot against WC. WC are crying out for a BP with more than average pace. Wilson's pace and offensive flair make him a BP candidate that would offer good run and carry and rebound from defence.

Wilson being 177cm isn't ideal for a wingman, IMO. A wingman, in part, needs to be a link up target, and his short stature doesn't make him an ideal lead up and marking target that's required of a linkman. So, I'd like to see him used as a BP or HBF.

as far as the indigenous players go it seems the eagles try to pick them from left field a bit,lewis jetta was a better bet that we let slip.
what do you think of the brown signing BOND 007?It does seem to restrict us as far as getting an extra pick in a draft that seems to have a fair few players that are just what we need

1) Since Sampi, WC's drafting seems to indicate a reluctance to use 1st rnd picks on indigenous boys. Given their hit/miss ratio it is understandable, but the question is whether their results are indicative of the league as a whole or are more peculiar to WC. If one looks at the top 5 teams and the numbers of aboriginal boys playing good football there, one suspects WC has a problem either in their selection or their treatment once selected.
2) Re Brown : I'm not a fan on Brown, but I can understand why it was done. When a player leaves he has already decided where to go and so the return is rarely acceptable. If he walked then I suspect WC would have received a pick in the 30's. So is Brown worth more to WC than a pick in the 30's - absolutely. (and given WC's recent drafting success - you'd take Brown every time)

Given Wilson's short stature and speed, he could also be used a BP, to shut down opposition smalls that seem to run riot against WC. WC are crying out for a BP with more than average pace. Wilson's pace and offensive flair make him a BP candidate that would offer good run and carry and rebound from defence.

Wilson being 177cm isn't ideal for a wingman, IMO. A wingman, in part, needs to be a link up target, and his short stature doesn't make him an ideal lead up and marking target that's required of a linkman. So, I'd like to see him used as a BP or HBF.

Isn't that the job Carter is now doing?

1) Since Sampi, WC's drafting seems to indicate a reluctance to use 1st rnd picks on indigenous boys. Given their hit/miss ratio it is understandable, but the question is whether their results are indicative of the league as a whole or are more peculiar to WC.

We overlooked Jetta in '09 but have taken Weedon and Newman in the first round (or at least in the top 25) in the last few years. Not sure how many other realistic opportunities to draft indigenous players in the first round we've passed up?

Isn't that the job Carter is now doing?

I thought of Carter, but he isn't exactly quick. If Wilson is selected, WC still could utilize both Carter and Wilson, for WC could use Carter to play on an opposition FP and use Wilson to provide some pace, run and carry and offensive flair from the HB line. Also, grabbing an extra BP/HBF couldn't hurt, for Waters and Butler can't be relied upon to string numerous games together anymore. Plus, Wilson provides traits that are sorely missing from among what WC have at present.

I do agree that we need a BP player that can match up well with dynamic indigenous small forwards . No since wirra have we had that type of player but given stokes , motlop, wells, Cyril, varco , pearce , hill and jetta are all smaller mids not marking mids which there line breaking running and finishing/inside 50 skills are hallmark of there game Wilson could be our polish and X factor . He is exactly what we need ! If bennell can take back pocket why would we waste Wilson .

We overlooked Jetta in '09 but have taken Weedon and Newman in the first round (or at least in the top 25) in the last few years. Not sure how many other realistic opportunities to draft indigenous players in the first round we've passed up?

Leroy Jetta in 06 & Cyril in 07 are 2 names that I know WC were well aware of leading into their respective drafts. You mention Lewis Jetta as well.

Leroy Jetta in 06 & Cyril in 07 are 2 names that I know WC were well aware of leading into their respective drafts. You mention Lewis Jetta as well.

Don't think Leroy's any great loss. We ended up taking Brown with that pick.

Wasn't there some real worry that Rioli would be reluctant to leave Melbourne? In any event my sense at the time was that he wasn't really in the mix at 3. He may have been at 13 if he was still available.

I'm not sure Sheed is considered to have elite kicking skills, but rather is pretty good at everything (no elite attributes). That being said if we got him I would be more the happy as he is very good and is a likely type.

But there are options in the draft who I would be equally happy with.
I've heard him compared to Simon Black but surely he'd be rated a lot higher if this was the case. A lot of what I have read reminds me of Tom Rockliff, I haven't seen him play so its hard to make a call if this is the case.

He's gone from a runt to average sized mid. He isn't what I would classify as a big bodied mid.

Compared with the runts we have he's massive.

He's tall, got decent and ever increasing muscle size, he's physical, he plays inside and out and is rarely pushed off the ball and he marks like a tall ...

He's a big bodied mid by most measures ... and at 22 he ain't getting any smaller ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back