Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Who will we draft? edition

Pick 11 - Who will it be

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Weller is better than Cockatoo but taking a bigger midfield type first frees us up to take smaller players in the 2nd and 3rd round. I don't like Bampton but that's just me. Happy with either Markov or Cripps at that pick.

I'm of the opinion that you just take the quality. Weller projects extremely well as a goal kicking wingman who could develop a contested side like Beams did. Jackson Nelson could be a big midfielder if developed that way. Bampton is just a bull of a player with great hands, and if Dunstan taught us anything it's that these types a criminally underrated. For a guy to have played 2 seasons of SANFL by 18 he must be doing something right?

I'm of the opinion that you just take the quality. Weller projects extremely well as a goal kicking wingman who could develop a contested side like Beams did. Jackson Nelson could be a big midfielder if developed that way. Bampton is just a bull of a player with great hands, and if Dunstan taught us anything it's that these types a criminally underrated. For a guy to have played 2 seasons of SANFL by 18 he must be doing something right?

Just taking quality is how we ended up with the list we did. At some point you have to start prioritising traits missing from your football team.

I like Cockatoo + Smith better than Weller + Nelson. We have plenty of Jackson Nelson types already. Weller + Smith would be going too small so you have to mix it up.

Havent read the thread in a while

What changed that resulted in Pickett no longer seeming to be available at our pick

GWS apparently taking him with one of there picks, with Collingwood, GCS and Geelong all interested as well.

Happy with cockatoo at 11 - reminds me of Dustin Martin only much quicker

We need to replace lecras, rosa, priddis, butler, waters in the next couple of years

Midfielders please - they can always play back

I like the look of Will Fordam for a later pick - good size, speed and can kick

Should take the Xfactor picks at the second or third pick , play safe first pick Duggan or Weller if available there is also Ahern maybe .
Cockatoo looks the goods but .... we need another best 22 player and Duggan and Weller could be that 150 to 200 game player , Just a thought of mine .

A recurrence of his foot injury would make it very risky , however Lever has had a recent knee recontruction and is a top 10 pick .
Draft day will be interesting with the amount of chances at our first pick .

A whole stack of prospective top ten picks have injury doubts. As a player and seemingly as a person, he seems a safe bet.

I would be happy to take Nelson with our second ! big bodied mid/Hbf with great defensive game , good kicking on both feet , great overhead mark for his size and a tackling machine . Sure he doesn't have pace but we have added wellingham , yeo , bennell and manginess who have pace and karpany Newman main have some toe and great agility . Plus brophy and adamson already this draft .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should take the Xfactor picks at the second or third pick , play safe first pick Duggan or Weller if available there is also Ahern maybe .
Cockatoo looks the goods but .... we need another best 22 player and Duggan and Weller could be that 150 to 200 game player , Just a thought of mine .

My view is that it's not often you get access to the top talent in a draft pool when you finish 9th. If Cockatoo doesn't bolt, that may be the case for us due to his foot injury. On talent, injury aside, I could see him going at top 3.

I understand what you're saying but I reckon we need to take a risk in order to try and pinch that top end talent we sorely lack.

Draft can't come fast enough. If I was to pick now- my preference would be
11: cockatoo
32: miller
51: Anderson (I really like this guy, would be stoked to get him)
69: McGovern
87: waterman f/s
105: Sinclair r/u

We would get 3 different mid types, a forward with genuine X factor to replace lecras in a couple of years, and another McGovern to complete the set.
Would that do enough to address enough needs?

Is it just me in not rating langford at all?
Im not a big fan, he's got "upside" but im not convinced he will realise it and i don't think he will ever be a contested player. People have tried to liken him to Bontempelli which has pushed up his draft rating artificially in some peoples eyes imo given Bontempelli is a bit of a flavour of the year. Shouldn't be top 10.

Happy with cockatoo at 11 - reminds me of Dustin Martin only much quicker

We need to replace lecras, rosa, priddis, butler, waters in the next couple of years

Midfielders please - they can always play back

I like the look of Will Fordam for a later pick - good size, speed and can kick
He's not really quicker than martin, Martin is explosive but its not a bad comparison, they both have pace and size. Big difference being Martin is a better kick and has/had more exposed form.

Yeah I understand, but does he have hurt factor enough to ignore any potential defensive weaknesses?

Even Hurn, whose kicking is (probably) more creative and damaging than Duggan's, is capable of competing in the air with medium forwards or going third man up while Mackenzie locks down the KPF. Not saying that Duggan won't, but you still need to defend somewhat.

Yarran, for instance, has the pace to go with the creative skills (and suspect defensive ability).

It depends on what specifically are Duggan's defensive weaknesses. He may not be quick enough to keep a small forward in check, but he may adhere to team structure, be where he's supposed to be in a zone and play as he's told to. I can't answer your question definitively until I've personally come to know his game better.

As long as Duggan has a willingness to learn, compete and do the defensive things, he'll be ok, for what he supposedly lacks can be developed. Hurn wasn't the defensive player he has become when he first started out, but he had the offensive tools.

With Yarran, it's a mindset issue. He's an attacking player and playing defense is secondary. He's got his game and sticks to it. If he hasn't ironed out defernsive issues this far into his career, what Yarran is now is what you're going to be stuck with. Does Duggan have the the same mindset or willingness to remedy any deficiencies? Neither you nor I can say at this point in time; we can only speculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back