List Mgmt. Delisting and drafting is almost as fun as trading: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Given Adelaide will almost surely be doing everything in it's power to get GC's pick 2, could we maybe get 13 off GC?

Say this happens:
Adelaide Trade: 8, 13 and/or 16
Receive: Pick 2 and change

Gold Coast Trade: Pick 2 and change.
Receive: 8, 13 and/or 16

We could grab 13 off GC:
Trade: 20 and 22/future first
Receive: 13

IMO Gold Coast would be more willing to part with 13, given they already have three picks in the top 20 in this situation. Two selections a little later might be more enticing than 13 by itself.
Sounds good. Would want to know beforehand that Geelong would accept this otherwise the two (rather than one) later picks seem more appealing, two decent players as opposed to one.

Tom Scully - can we fit him into the cap?

He wants to go to a club that's contending and it sounds like pick 22 would do it.

Would not want....... greedy little grub is only motivated by one thing....:moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

Got a front end loaded contract and now that his coin has dropped to a much lower rate he is wanting to hike up his income.

He is trying to have his cake and eat it to.

Not sure he is the type that you want to bring into the locker room as his greedy character may rub others up the wrong way.

Serious question which I’m not sure of the answer to

Which is better pick 20 and 22 or pick 11?

In a shallow draft I’d be thinking pick 11 but in a deep draft like this one is supposed to be maybe 20 and 22 would be better as it gives you an opportunity to get two decent players rather than one

IMO this year 20 and 22 over 11............. most other years not so.

Keys asked if it's better to have pick 11 or 20 + 22. Conventional logic says the higher the draft pick, the higher the likelihood of drafting a best 22 player. amazingjoshy followed that up with an excellent post here - the draft pick breakdown of Premiership sides wasn't something I'd ever thought to check.

Below is the draft pick distribution of the premiership winning 22 since 2010.

I counted the pick the player was originally taken with as they entered the AFL, disregarding any future re-drafting (e.g. Luke Ball was selected with pick 2 in 1999, and was later re-drafted by Collingwood with pick 30 in 2009. He counts as pick 2 in the table below.) The table only factors in the 22 players who featured on Grand Final day e.g the Eagles tally doesn't include high draft picks (Gaff, Sheppard, Naitanui) who are normally best 22.

Draft pick distribution:
Premier Draft Distribution.jpg

Averages:
Premier Draft Average.jpg

Premiers feature 8.2 players taken in the top 20 in their Grand Final team, on average.

There's always going to be factors that add some grey area, like bargain father/son picks, or some drafts being deeper than others. However, based on the above, and looking at our success drafting in the 20s, I'd say the best bet is to have as many picks as possible in the hope that one hits.

The more players you're taking, the higher the chance one of them works out. Give me 20 + 22 over 11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought this draft was meant to have a pretty strong top 10 and drop off pretty quickly after that?
I think its more along the lines of the top ~10 are phenomenal, and 11-30ish are all stronger than previous seasons and are all pretty much even talent wise

No matter what Geelong will still prefer Freo's pick 11 to our picks 20 & 22, so to them pick 11 > 20 + 22.
I think that they'll prefer our future 1st + pick 20 in the hope we'll fall off face of the Earth next season.
Some of their posters mentioned the same thing and said that this year WCE GF was a fluke. And that there's a chance WCE to drop out of the top eight in the GFC T Kelly thread.
We already under the radar/unworthy and the 2019 season hasn't started yet....
maybe a B2B will be considered twice lucky by the majority:)

Some of their posters mentioned the same thing and said that this year WCE GF was a fluke. And that there's a chance WCE to drop out of the top eight in the GFC T Kelly thread.
We already under the radar/unworthy and the 2019 season hasn't started yet....
maybe a B2B will be considered twice lucky by the majority:)
lol I putting money on Geelong to miss the 8

Paying $1.80 good value

No matter what Geelong will still prefer Freo's pick 11 to our picks 20 & 22, so to them pick 11 > 20 + 22.
I think that they'll prefer our future 1st + pick 20 in the hope we'll fall off face of the Earth next season.
Our future 1st + 20 is bullshit overs ! I would be wanting to give them 22 for a start and getting a future 2nd back .
We shouldn't compromise our list and our draft position to such an extent to satisfy the unrealistic expectations from geelong .

I really care if we get Kelly, not only do I really rate him as a bloody good player but we must be seen to do everything in our power (within reason) to land him.
It really would make our great club even more of a destination club.

Beyond money, most players want success, security and genuine care.
We'd only further improve our reputation by doing so.

Normally I'd agree with hard ball negotiation tactics but Kelly has a genuine reason and need to come home.
If we've offered 20+22, that's pretty generous I would have thought given the situation. I'd also offer 22+Petruccelli (if he wanted/willing) to go only, he'd have more value than Nelson.

I really don't like the whole "They can take 20 or stuff him, Kelly can stay another year then we'll get him for cheap"
Shit attitude and not a good look for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back