List Mgmt. Delisting and drafting is almost as fun as trading: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question which I’m not sure of the answer to

Which is better pick 20 and 22 or pick 11?

In a shallow draft I’d be thinking pick 11 but in a deep draft like this one is supposed to be maybe 20 and 22 would be better as it gives you an opportunity to get two decent players rather than one
Depends how many picks you intend to use in the draft. Why Freo went the pick swap, they had no picks at all through those middle rounds and you would assume they would want to do a decent list prune now.

It's pretty Intesting we haven't announced delistings yet. Makes .Me think some of our fringe players may be involved in some deals.
We seem to leave it until the last minute every year. We must see if there is any interest before cutting or those fringe players contracts depend on who we bring in.

In a shallow draft I’d be thinking pick 11 but in a deep draft like this one is supposed to be maybe 20 and 22 would be better as it gives you an opportunity to get two decent players rather than one

Trades done so far suggest that 11 is.

I think for the eagles that we’d prefer two picks, partially due to the lack of top end WA talent. I know I would.

It's pretty Intesting we haven't announced delistings yet. Makes .Me think some of our fringe players may be involved in some deals.

Announcement of stand alone WAFL team may complicate matters a little. There are quite a few moving bits at the moment - GF winding up, Free Agency, Gaff & Lycett negotiations, trade week, list changes, WAFL news & so on.

Some potential delisters may be tempted to continue playing for WCE, albeit in the WAFL.

Note made the previous statements made without knowing full picture about WAFL knock on implications.

def 20+22....two (relatively high) cracks at it much better than one, drafting still a massive lottery.

Let's look at our own premiership winning team as an example (orig draft picks, every chance I've stuffed up somewhere)

Shuey..pick 20
Yeo...pick 30
Darling...pick 26
Sheed...pick 11
Hurn....pick 13
JK....pick 4
Gov....RD pick 44
Barass...pick 43
Ryan...pick 26
Rioli...pick 52
Schofield...pick 50
Cole...pick 36
Masten...pick 3
Lycett...pick 29
Vardy...pick 42
Duggan...pick 11
Lecras...pick 37
Cripps..pick 24
Venables...pick 13
Redden...pick 25
Jetta...pick 14
Hutchings...pick 60

There's every chance 20+22 both end up better players than whoever's picked at 11

Reading between the lines, these are my thoughts too. Hogan's navicular must be an unknown quantity. Freo desperately need a KPF and Hogan fits their need perfectly, so for them to walk away suggests his foot concerns them.
Buyer beware.
This !

On radio today they said hogan is still in rehab and wont be right to start pre season .
How can he PASS a medical when he hasn't overcome his foot injury yet.

Sounds like melbourne want the full value of a fit , injury free hogan . Which he is not

Freo dont want to assume that risk and offered what they think he is worth .

Just look at trengrove. Every time he got back to full training his foot flaired up again . Then melbourne tried to off load him to richmond where he failed his medical .

Melbourne may be trying to cut their losses early

(Log in to remove this ad.)

def 20+22....two (relatively high) cracks at it much better than one, drafting still a massive lottery.

Let's look at our own premiership winning team as an example (orig draft picks, every chance I've stuffed up somewhere)

Shuey..pick 20
Yeo...pick 30
Darling...pick 26
Sheed...pick 11
Hurn....pick 13
JK....pick 4
Gov....RD pick 44
Barass...pick 43
Ryan...pick 26
Rioli...pick 52
Schofield...pick 50
Cole...pick 36
Masten...pick 3
Lycett...pick 29
Vardy...pick 42
Duggan...pick 11
Lecras...pick 37
Cripps..pick 24
Venables...pick 13
Redden...pick 25
Jetta...pick 14
Hutchings...pick 60

There's every chance 20+22 both end up better players than whoever's picked at 11

Great list that shows top 10 picks aren't the be all and end all.

We only had two of them in our premiership team (although of course our best 22 would have five).

Having a high draft pick just ensures a better chance of success. If the recruiting team can identify their needs and trade or draft players to fill specific holes on the list then it doesn't matter as much.

Hogan has played in the AFL for 4 years. In that time, he's faced a lot of difficulty; he's had testicular cancer, and his dad has sadly passed. And he still would have topped Fremantle's goalkicking in 2015 (literally his first year), 2016 and 2018. Hell, in 2017, he played 10 flipping games and still only just got edged out by their leading goalkicker for the year, Cam McCarthy (with 25 goals, yes, seriously). Even with his supposedly busted foot this year, he kicked more than twice as many goals as their 2018 leading goalkicker (Walters, with 22 GOALS). Freo better know what they're doing eh...

Hogan has played in the AFL for 4 years. In that time, he's faced a lot of difficulty; he's had testicular cancer, and his dad has sadly passed. And he still would have topped Fremantle's goalkicking in 2015 (literally his first year), 2016 and 2018. Hell, in 2017, he played 10 ruddy games and still only just got edged out by their leading goalkicker for the year, Cam McCarthy (with 25 goals, yes, seriously). Even with his supposedly busted foot this year, he kicked more than twice as many goals as their 2018 leading goalkicker (Walters, with 22 GOALS). Freo better know what they're doing eh...
I have to say I don't really care as long as TK doesn't end up there.

This !

On radio today they said hogan is still in rehab and wont be right to start pre season .
How can he PASS a medical when he hasn't overcome his foot injury yet.

Sounds like melbourne want the full value of a fit , injury free hogan . Which he is not

Freo dont want to assume that risk and offered what they think he is worth .

Just look at trengrove. Every time he got back to full training his foot flaired up again . Then melbourne tried to off load him to richmond where he failed his medical .

Melbourne may be trying to cut their losses early
Makes me really appreciate what our medical team did with Darling's foot in 2015. I still get riled up with people giving him a hard time about the dropped mark in the GF - he missed half the season with a serious injury and performed excellently when he returned.

Makes me really appreciate what our medical team did with Darling's foot in 2015. I still get riled up with people giving him a hard time about the dropped mark in the GF - he missed half the season with a serious injury and performed excellently when he returned.

My nanna would've marked that though.

Given Adelaide will almost surely be doing everything in it's power to get GC's pick 2, could we maybe get 13 off GC?

Say this happens:
Adelaide Trade: 8, 13 and/or 16
Receive: Pick 2 and change

Gold Coast Trade: Pick 2 and change.
Receive: 8, 13 and/or 16

We could grab 13 off GC:
Trade: 20 and 22/future first
Receive: 13

IMO Gold Coast would be more willing to part with 13, given they already have three picks in the top 20 in this situation. Two selections a little later might be more enticing than 13 by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back