Delistings - the unlucky 4

Remove this Banner Ad

A few people have said they reckon Kitey is gone.

Anyone got any more info?

He is the sole player from the 07 draft who did not re-sign during the year bar Dangerfield who was initially contracted for 3 years. Hence unless Kite was offered an initial 3 year contract this would indicate strongly he's getting chopped.

If he does surely he'd be a prime candidate for rookie listing?

So what you are saying is that we have already upgraded Martin, getting rid of three players will leave us with 2 draft picks, never going to happen.

2005 was about the only year that we passed on a draft pick in the fourth round. Before you get excited the only reason we passed in the fourth round was because of the pick that we gained for Watts which gave us 2 first round selections so we had already drafted four players prior to the fourth round pick.

History shows that all clubs always participate in the first four rounds of the draft and I would expect us to do this as well (even the 2003 draft which is supposed to be the worst draft class in history we participated in the first four rounds). Due to there being no retirements this will mean the required delisting of five players.

I would be shocked if we only drafted 3 players or less in the draft. History shows that clubs do not do this and I dont expect us to either.

not sure that history does show that. not certain, but I don't think that happened in 2002 either?

not sure that history does show that. not certain, but I don't think that happened in 2002 either?

Sorry I meant the 2002 draft class

Geelong and Brisbane passed in the third round, BUT.....

Brisbane had four picks in the firs two rounds of picks 3, 19, 30, 44

Geelong picked 3 players in the first 2 rounds and then took Moloney in the PSD

If clubs every year pick 4 players in the draft either 3 in the draft and 1 in the PSD draft or 4 in the main draft I am not sure how history wouldn't be justifying this :confused:

As I said before history shows that we will make 5 changes (to accommodate 4 draft picks) and Lee, Kite, Shirley, Gill and Gallman IMO will be that five.

Has anyone got any info on Brian Donnelly, i know after he had his knee done he has gone home for 6 weeks. I presume he will be back, for at least 1 more year?

My prediction: Gallman, Gill, Shirley and Lee
Reckon you are correct.

Lee has shown less than Kite IMO, so even though only 1 year, just doesn't look up to AFL in terms of commitment. Miles of the pace.

Only need the minimum 3 changes, with Martin upgrade not requiring 4th. Given lack of depth in the draft, is it really worth delisting someone like Kite (even though I'm not convinced by him) if there isn't much out there. Sure AFC will know better than me.

Only 4 Crows players are uncontracted as at today.

Gallman, Gill, Kite and Shirley.

You'd have to think there's a message in that.

If we delist all 4, which I think we will, that gives us picks 13, 29 and 46.

Lee had a very ordinary year but he's still only 18, so he probably will survive, unless the club can't see anything in him for the future.

I also think that the club would trade Griffin for an early 2nd rounder if offered to allow it to have a greater crack at the better talent.

A crumber, a lightning quick mid and a young project ruckman are the main needs.

The draft is thinner, but it goes at least till our probable 3rd pick (45).
Made a mistake signing all the over 30s.
We would be mad to take only 2 picks.
Now we've signed Tippett, they should shop Griffin around.
Delist Kite, see what is around at pick 45, and take him back at worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lee had a very ordinary year but he's still only 18, so he probably will survive, unless the club can't see anything in him for the future.

I also think that the club would trade Griffin for an early 2nd rounder if offered to allow it to have a greater crack at the better talent.

A crumber, a lightning quick mid and a young project ruckman are the main needs.

Agree with all of that except maybe keep Kite for Lee.

is Griffin contracted with the Crows till next year??? or does it end this year?

Matt Rendell has said that the club only rates 30-35 players in this year's draft - in comparison to the 60-65 they rated last year. That's how weak the draft is.

The club has repeatedly said that they'll only be making the minimum 3 changes this year. Whether that's 3 draftees + Martin, or 2 draftees + Martin is the only question. There's no way on God's Green Earth that we'll be taking 4 or 5 draftees this year.

Gill & Gallman are dead men walking - and have been for a long time now.

The remaining delistings will come from Shirley, Kite & Lee - probably in that order:
  • Shirley is almost certainly gone - as Macca said, he would have been re-signed with the other veterans if it was going to happen. It didn't and he won't be around in 2010, which should please relapse no end.
  • Kite was impressive in 2008, but went backwards this year. He wasn't re-signed when they did all of his peers from the 2007 draft. Drummond has repeatedly stated that he expected him to be gone from Adelaide's list at the end of the year. He may well be right.
  • Lee has shown bugger all this year, but is still contracted for 2010. His future is probably tied to Kurt Tippett's - depending upon how tight our salary cap is thanks to Tippett's massive pay rise. Note that we'd still have to include his salary under the 2010 cap if we delisted him - and I'm not sure if we can afford to do that.

Why not delist Lee who has a year to run on his contract and then rookie list him.

Dont know if it is possible but then you could pay him his 2010 salary owing to him instead of his lesser rookie salary.
- He will not be pushing for an AFL game next year so nothing lost if he is moved to a rookie.
- Personally for Lee he has potentially got 2 more years as a rookie. If he wants it bad enough he has an opportunity to show what he has got. to show he has the desire to play AFL or not.

As the club has indicated they will probably only delist 3, and so they should as they have turned over nearly half our squad in just 2 years. Time to consolidate. Spend a preseason fine tuning, rather than have the coaching staff and senior players having to educate a dozen first year players.

Gill, Gallman, Lee, Shirley, Kite are the 5 the microscope would be on. Although the club would be waiting to see how the cards fall over trade week.

Even though Kite has been inconsistant this year, after a 2008 that exceeded expectations. I personally think there is more probabaility of him having an AFL future looking ahead than the other 4. And shirley is still AFL standard.

So for mine Gill, Gallman Lee

given Jolly's move back to Melbourne and the retirement of Campbell you would think both Syd and Hawthorn would be in the market for a ruckman

Griff may come into play

Kite is a big talent, I personally would like him to be given at least another year. I think he will stay, its to earlier to call quits on him. Tall, fast agile defenders are rare!

given Jolly's move back to Melbourne and the retirement of Campbell you would think both Syd and Hawthorn would be in the market for a ruckman

Griff may come into play
Sydney have Seaby all but wrapped up. The only question is what price they will pay - West Coast want their 2nd, they're offering their 4th. If they don't end up meeting in the middle, with Sydney's 3rd pick, then I'll eat my hat.

Is Jolly's move back to Melbourne anything other than a rumour?

So what you are saying is that we have already upgraded Martin, getting rid of three players will leave us with 2 draft picks, never going to happen.

2005 was about the only year that we passed on a draft pick in the fourth round. Before you get excited the only reason we passed in the fourth round was because of the pick that we gained for Watts which gave us 2 first round selections so we had already drafted four players prior to the fourth round pick.

History shows that all clubs always participate in the first four rounds of the draft and I would expect us to do this as well (even the 2003 draft which is supposed to be the worst draft class in history we participated in the first four rounds). Due to there being no retirements this will mean the required delisting of five players.

I would be shocked if we only drafted 3 players or less in the draft. History shows that clubs do not do this and I dont expect us to either.

How much relevance does history play here though, when was the last time the AFL upped the minimum age for recruits by 4 months, effectively cutting the pool of talent by a third?

On top of that, this draft by the sounds is also one of the weaker ones anyway. I think we'll find a lot of clubs will only go in with 3-4 picks this year tops. The last few years have been the years to load up on talent pre-GC17/WS18, not this year, this year is more of a top up year.

Sydney have Seaby all but wrapped up. The only question is what price they will pay - West Coast want their 2nd, they're offering their 4th. If they don't end up meeting in the middle, with Sydney's 3rd pick, then I'll eat my hat.

Is Jolly's move back to Melbourne anything other than a rumour?

I believe it is, but were they after Seaby, before or after Jolly expressed his desire to leave? They may in fact be looking for two ruckman now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delistings - the unlucky 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back