Autopsy Destiny awaits another season - Magpies lose by 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t know how I feel. Its like my emotions aren’t working. Its like im broken.

We definitely had a patchy year... disappointing in many ways, but we were part of the last 4 which means we had a crack, and we blew it. Even if we didn’t necessarily deserve to win it all, its still an opportunity gone.

It just really hurts to think we were an extra 3cm’s in the right direction on Mayne or Adams shot from pulling off a ridiculous come back, and having a free shot at a flag. All we had to do was JUST get there, and anything could’ve happened. All we had to do was play 2 good quarters instead of 1 and we probably get there.

Get to the day and a few favourable bounces your way could mean another premiership. Just hurts to think about that

I'm not as upset as I thought I'd be. The fight back in the last was as good as I've seen from us all year. If only the comeback started halfway through the third.

Grundy is a gun, and if we trade him for picks, we may as well shut down the footy club and concentrate on netball.
He's a once in a generation player who you build the team around.
If anything, we trade out a couple of our surplus mids, and try and grab a key forward.
ANY key forward is better than no key forward.

Same here although we’ve basically handed the flag to the filth from Punt Rd. Really need to trade wisely now even at the cost of Grundy. 73 hits and we get smashed by 20 in clearances. They are a dime a dozen

Need a KPF, clever HFF and a quick smart Mid.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Honestly think the Giants will win next week.

Thr umpire puts the whistle in his mouth to call the free, then calls play on... Wth
That was the most incomprehensible non decision I have ever witnessed at a footy game. I literally could not process what I had just watched for a good minute or two. It was the most blatant shove in the back directly in front of an umpire he was not obstructed from viewing it in anyway. He took it all in and then decided not to blow his whistle.

I told my son if I was a pie player I would have said you just blew your chance for grand final you cheating pr###. It would have cost us another goal and a report but it would have been worth it.

I'm still feeling absolutely like... I don't know... nothing?

Pendles said he and the boys felt hollow. That's probably a good word for it. And I think you only feel that way because you expected to win and could already visualise the grand final build up being full of black and white.

If we had've lost last year's preliminary final to Richmond in the same manner it would've been easier to cop because they were the favourites, etc.

I'm so sorry guys. Not being a smartass. I know emotions are at a high.

Just sucks. Obviously not the best team performance but the umpires were really quite amusing tonight, borderline if not full blown cheating.

Nobody apart from my own team I want to be successful than you guys. Love so many of your players. Nothing against the Giants to be honest, I like them too, but you guys are a favourite.

Bucks presser was so respectful, it's almost cruel in a way to make him have to front the media after something as heartbreaking as this. That last quarter was deadset the most exciting 30 mins of football I've seen. Just riding you guys to get the win.

It's obviously easy to say 'there's always next year', but that's two years in a row you guys have been so close. It's hard to know how the group will react, how the group will change personnel wise, and how the rest of the league will change. So whilst you've got a great team, other teams will get better, and worse, so you can't tell how it'll go next year. At the end of the day there is a fantastic group of players there along with a great coach, so there will be a big chance. I guess you just have to hope this will galvanise the players and hopefully some silverware will arrive in 2020.
Thank you - classy post

Don't worry, Collingwood have already recruited a 30yo Beams to fix the midfield issues and a 29yo American to address the KPP issues...Can also be rest assured a 31yo Ben Reid will play the entirety of 2020....

Nothing wrong with list management all.
Doesn't say much for the other 16 clubs. We have just gone down in a prelim by four points and a grand final by five points in consecutive years. Horrific list we have! The coach must be a genius.

Don’t know how I feel. Its like my emotions aren’t working. Its like im broken.

We definitely had a patchy year... disappointing in many ways, but we were part of the last 4 which means we had a crack, and we blew it. Even if we didn’t necessarily deserve to win it all, its still an opportunity gone.

It just really hurts to think we were an extra 3cm’s in the right direction on Mayne or Adams shot from pulling off a ridiculous come back, and having a free shot at a flag. All we had to do was JUST get there, and anything could’ve happened. All we had to do was play 2 good quarters instead of 1 and we probably get there.

Get to the day and a few favourable bounces your way could mean another premiership. Just hurts to think about that

Amen. And favourable bounces... if it wasn't for them, Milney would be a premiership player and we'd still be stewing on the fact our last flag was in 1990.

Doesn't say much for the other 16 clubs. We have just gone down in a prelim by four points and a grand final by five points in consecutive years. Horrific list we have! The coach must be a genius.
Couldnt care less about the other clubs.

As I said in an earlier post, we have played in 22 prelims for 2 flags in my lifetime. There is always someone better than us. We are never THE team. We will never have an era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not going to sit here and bag, however the reality is premierships is how we measure success, we should have won one last year, and we should be playing for one next week. But we haven’t done either.

We have a talented playing group which is looking more and more likely that they will have nothing to show for it, opportunities don’t come round often and we have wasted them in the last two years.

But everyone loves each other 🙄.

Thomas - only showed up in the last quarter.

Brown - see above.

Mihocek - atrocious

Reid - never liked it, still don’t.

WHE - irrelevant. Would even shop him around during the trade period. Terrible season.

Aish - messy, will never be any more than what he is now.

Mayne - another who only bobbed up when the team was purring.

Sidebottom - no impact, beaten by Perryman.

Pendlebury - De Boer claims another

Treloar - barely noticed him. Had low 20’s but never got going.

Maynard - always have, always will love this kid.

Howe - biggest trade steal ever.

Crisp - cracked in, run and carry was important but went missing in the middle part of the game.

Grundy - can’t knock him, he was almost the difference, but probably should’ve tried to smash it forward and create some chaos in those late stages rather than hitting it to his feet and letting them bottle it up.

Adams - 20 disposals, all kicks, 43% DE. Only 6 contested, he was beaten.

Phillips - there’s a bit of a trend here. Only got to work when the team was hot.

Moore - along with Howe, nearly our best player in the finals. Reminded us what he can do.

Elliott - beaten for most of the day but wasn’t our worst. He’s x-factor and we should be doing everything we can to keep him.

Roughead - played his role. Don’t expect much out of him, lock down and that’s it. He did that.

Noble - easy to hate on him, I get why. Think the enormity of it all got the better of him.

Wills - tackling machine, but always looks rushed.

Stephenson - underwhelming in my opinion. Stats look okay, but didn’t impact when the game was in the balance.
Thank the good Lord above you are not our list manager.

Unfortunately our window was this year and last,too much of a ageing list who aren’t going to get any better and besides a few young guns not enough young guns coming through.

Collingwood handle favouritism worse than any sporting team I’ve ever seen. We are so good as underdogs but go missing far too often when heavily favoured. It’s as though we think the win is magically just going to take care of itself.

Great dynasty teams over the past 20 years like Hawks Swans Cats and Lions revelled in favouritism during their periods at the top and mercilessly put their opponents to the sword, pressing to win each game by the biggest possible margin. They wanted to dominate and intimidate. By contrast we almost seem afraid of favouritism, or too full of ourselves to put in the necessary work - I can’t decide between the two.

One thing is clear - we need a harder, more ruthless edge. I think it’s time for Pendles to hand over the Captaincy to Adams or Maynard - someone who won’t ever take a backward step and will demand nothing short total commitment from team-mates.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Thank the good Lord above you are not our list manager.
I don’t get what my own personal analysis of each player in the Preliminary Final has to do with list management but okay..

You can disagree with it, but it doesn’t mean I’m wrong.

Commiserations on the loss guys - we are still hurting from last night too.

I think you’ve done extremely well over the past 18 months with your unconventional forward line but I think it’s clear you need to address your KPF issues. Look at Hawkins last week, Lynch last night, Cameron today.. key forwards are worth their weight in gold.

Even a B/C grader like Casboult or Josh Bruce would be a good stopgap for you in 2020 since there’s no Lynch type on the market.

You will absolutely bounce back and if you have some good luck with injury next season (particularly JDG, Moore and Elliott who have all had wretched runs) you’ll be around the top 4 mark again no doubt.

Commiserations on the loss guys - we are still hurting from last night too.

I think you’ve done extremely well over the past 18 months with your unconventional forward line but I think it’s clear you need to address your KPF issues. Look at Hawkins last week, Lynch last night, Cameron today.. key forwards are worth their weight in gold.

Even a B/C grader like Casboult or Josh Bruce would be a good stopgap for you in 2020 since there’s no Lynch type on the market.

You will absolutely bounce back and if you have some good luck with injury next season (particularly JDG, Moore and Elliott who have all had wretched runs) you’ll be around the top 4 mark again no doubt.
I'd take Bruce in a heartbeat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Destiny awaits another season - Magpies lose by 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back