Analysis Did Darren Jarman play better football at Hawthorn or Adelaide?

Where did Darren Jarman play his better football?

• Adelaide

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Equally Good

Votes: 21 24.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be. 117 games and 211 goals + Team of the Century is a pretty handy North Adelaide resume. Any North Adelaide people who saw him on here? I know Jarman came with massive wraps to Hawthorn.
Just a salty Norwood supporter tbh. Got sick of him owning us nearly every time we played them. Used to be automatic four points against North until the Jarmans got together. I was as happy as you were when he want to Hawhtorn.

You don't think being the first Indigenous player to play 300 games is a significant event in the games history?

Mind you, I also don't think that Gavin Wanganeen should have his name up there, but that fact makes it slightly less of a stretch. And there are multiple SANFL greats that are more deserving than both Wanganeen and Ricciuto.
It's a great milestone, but his race alone shouldn't put him above anyone else. We moved past that years ago. The deed, not the breed.

I know Adelaide's season is over, and it's effectively our off-season, but can't you save these discussions to the offseason?

PS. I'm too young to remember watching the Hawthorn iteration so I abstain from the voting.

"I know Adelaide's season is over, and it's effectively our off-season, but can't you save these discussions to the offseason?"
Wot now?

It's a great milestone, but his race alone shouldn't put him above anyone else. We moved past that years ago. The deed, not the breed.
It’s a great milestone that is amplified 10x
If you think even today that indigenous Australians travel the same path you need to get out more.
Did you hear Eddie Betts story of the treatment of his kids at the public pool in 2023?
Now imagine what Gavin copped in life from birth.
The adversity and mental strength to adapt and overcome every thing before him is to marvel at.
if you compare Riccuito and Gavin’s path to greatness it’s chalk and cheese and should be acknowledged.

Last edited:
I remember my dad saying he was more of a gun at Hawthorn and he's fairly unbiased, I had no real opinion though a few years before my time.
Just in that era where we didn't seem to be that enamoured with some good players like Paul Hudson, so his legacy feels pretty limited even if he only played 100 games here. Definitely think of him as a Crow.

I think there's some guys like Dew that just have really impressive disposal, but I'd be reluctant to say they were more skilled than someone like Cyril or Sammy just because they are an amazing kick and decent handball, in a sense that's all Sammy did really in terms of skill, but he did it so quickly and in tight congestion all day long that I find it more impressive. I guess for us Jarman is a bit of an opposite Dew really, was AA level here and won Norm Smith somewhere else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Did Darren Jarman play better football at Hawthorn or Adelaide?

Back