Remove this Banner Ad

Sekaj

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 18, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Up by a couple of goals halfway into the last quarter with most of the momentum we really should have gone on to win it.

You just knew that Carlton still mentally believed they could win it despite trailing on the scoreboard. But did we? All week the players spoke about being more competitive, winning the contested ball, etc. etc. instead of wanting to actually ****ing win the game.

It's like they were already prepared to lose but were just looking for a better effort than what they showed against the Power.

Up by a couple of goals halfway into the last quarter with most of the momentum we really should have gone on to win it.

You just knew that Carlton still mentally believed they could win it despite trailing on the scoreboard. But did we? All week the players spoke about being more competitive, winning the contested ball, etc. etc. instead of wanting to actually ****ing win the game.

It's like they were already prepared to lose but were just looking for a better effort than what they showed against the Power.

I reckon their confidence was down after last week (and the one before) but nah - if Danger's kick had gone through or Tippett had marked it - game over

boys were knackered (on both sides) - turnover city - and the game could have gone either way

It did seem as though when it came down to the last few minutes it was really only Carlton and Dangerfield genuinely trying to win the game, and believing that they could. Impossible to measure/prove but you just got the impression that we were tired, sore and had got to the point where we would get lauded for our effort regardless of the result and some players were content with that.

It did seem as though when it came down to the last few minutes it was really only Carlton and Dangerfield genuinely trying to win the game, and believing that they could. Impossible to measure/prove but you just got the impression that we were tired, sore and had got to the point where we would get lauded for our effort regardless of the result and some players were content with that.

and some supporters :eek:

Can't agree with the above.

The players were just plain rooted, which led to some atrocious errors.
The Carlton players were rooted too but just had a weeny sniff of petrol left in the tank which just got them over the line.

I can't explain the first quarter but IMO they gave all they had to give in the last 3 quarters including that unfortunate last 8 minutes of the game.

Yes. It was so obvious with our decision making. We see the same inability to deal with pressure all the time with the same players.

I think nearly all our losses by 6 or less since 2003 have been mental in some ways for sure. Last night we gave it our best shot but played in spurts. But way too much handballing when not nessecary is not good. When we play like this we give away countless holing the balls, too much .... its not good at all. Hey Crows players, better start watcing Collingwood games. I still think Collingwood are the only side who really know how to play the game. Old fashioned footy. Thats why they will not be challenged for the next 2 or 3 seasons.

do we have a plan for this part of the game...

the players seem to hold/tow the company line when the other team is
going to hell for the leather...maybe this explains why we can't win finals?

suggestion...
"plan Z - the endgame"...
get at the footy....hit in at the contest...
rolling maul it, crows '11 style...
find a target or smash and bash it forward...
man on man defense...
goals are good...
play to the siren...winning is fun...
go for it...

Mate we have had a mentality weakness under this coach from day 1.
Look at all the close games we fail to win when leading?
Look at all those finals we've lost after being 4,5, & 6 goals up?
Look at last weeks game against the worst team in the AFL when being 34 pts up?
Look at last nights game when in control, 11 pts up, Andy O drops a simple chest mark and the game turns on its head?

Why is it when Andy O dropped that mark and they punished us i knew we would lose this game? Why last week when we were f**king around at the back and Stiffy gets tackled and Surjan scores their 1st goal i knew we would lose? Why - because this team of ours does not have a ruthless bone in its body to slam shut the door on the opposition. I'm sick & tired of losing close games or surrendering winning positions because we can't handle the pressure. Its a common trend that has been in this football club for too many years. We're talking about 4, 5, 6 & 7 year players at our club making stupid errors and costing us games.

When are we ever going to learn?

Mate we have had a mentality weakness under this coach from day 1.
Look at all the close games we fail to win when leading?
Look at all those finals we've lost after being 4,5, & 6 goals up?
Look at last weeks game against the worst team in the AFL when being 34 pts up?
Look at last nights game when in control, 1 pts up, Andy O drops a simple chest mark and the game turns on its head?

Why is it when Andy O dropped that mark and they punished us i knew we would lose this game? Why last week when we were f**king around at the back and Stiffy gets tackled and Surjan scores their 1st goal i knew we would lose? Why - because this team of ours does not have a ruthless bone in its body to slam shut the door on the opposition. I'm sick & tired of losing close games or surrendering winning positions because we can't handle the pressure. Its a common trend that has been in this football club for too many years. We're talking about 4, 5, 6 & 7 year players at our club making stupid errors and costing us games.

When are we ever going to learn?

The problem is that andy otten isn't a defender at all. he is a tall inside/outside midfielder who should be playing there. It is better off dangerfield is moved to the forward line (more) where he can actually provide crumbing/spark along with knights for tippett while he's playing well, instead of henderson or jaensch.

Forwards like walker can be more effectively dealt with by davis/schmidt. What surprises me is that van berlo/vince/thompson need bigger bodies like otten in the pack and craig doesn't pick him there :confused:

carlton kept winning contested football all day and until craig can fix that i dont see how adelaide can turn this around.

the players i would be dropping would be henderson/doughty rather than otten/douglas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Did we lose the game mentally?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back