Did you follow your old man?

Do you follow the same team as your old man?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Apologies if this thread has been done before. I was just thinking about how much a role your father plays a role in the decision of what team you support. Obviously for some their is no question; if the whole family are Collingwood supporters, your dads a diehard and take you to the Magpies game each week then undoubtely you would follow the Black and White else you'd be put up for adoption.:p But for some in split supported families and others where Dads not that passionate about his footy how influenced were you by his team choice?

For me growing up in England and therefore having no knowledge of the sport 'Australian Rules' I obviously was not in the position to be introduced to the sport and taken to games each week. However Dad (and Mum) had lived in Australia before I was born and he already had his team (Carlton). When the family moved here I was 11 (from memory) and there was no pressure from Dad to follow the Blues and so I made my own decision. Am now (and forever onwards) a very proud and happy North Melbourne supporter and member.

How much of a role did your Dad play a role in selecting the team you now support?

None at all. My old man is a Pom and his only sporting influence on me as a kid was getting me into cricket.

He's a part time eagles supporter now (like a lot of eagles fans after last season) but I don't remember him ever watching any games when I was growing up.

He let me choose. I would have been a Melbourne supporter if I was born in Melbourne, but I grew up in Sydney so I chose them. Good choice so far but I'll always have a soft spot for the Demons. Pretty much every extended family member is a Melbourne supporter as well.

I did. Has been an Adelaide member since 1991, but only got back into it seriously when I started taking an interest.

My parents, and my fathers side of the family didn't really care about sport.

My mothers side of the family were/are fanatical Richmond supporters, and with Richmond being a power in the 70's, it was inevitable that I'd join them.

A cousin played St Kilda reserves for a couple of years ( back in the days of zones ), but walked when they wouldn't give him a clearance to Richmond.

didnt really come from a mad footy family. me and my siblings all follow different clubs
Bother North. Sister Collingwood Me, being the intelligent one chose richmond, that it was 1974 when I made my choice made it a lot easier, they zoned from the place that i was born too

my dad his dad and basically the whole family are St.kilda supporters but at a young age i idealised my cousin (Kris Barlow) and grow passionate for hawthorn to this day though i still support the saint i have there gear and go to games but deep down if i had to chose it would be the hawks.

now people often think im not passiont about footy because of this.

OP: im a bit yes and no.

I'm the third generation of fanatical hawk supporters. My grandma was a member for over 50 years. I didn't have a choice in the matter; nor did I want one.

Dad grew up in Melbourne and was a Hawks supporter (not a terribly passionate fan at the time though) but moved up to Sydney where he met Mum. So he introduced me to footy and the obvious choice for me was Sydney and he converted to a Swans man as well.

So followed Dad to the footy but not to his club. In fact he followed me essentially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My dad was from England and when he moved to Australia he moved to Sydney and started following Manly in the Rugby League. He had no real interest in the AFL. I grew up in Sydney and followed the North Sydney Bears in the Rugby League who were the arch enemies of Manly so my dad and I had many fallings out over Rugby League. The Bears were red and black. Hence my choice of Essendon when I converted to AFL. I haven't really followed the NRL for about ten years after the Bears were evicted.

Dad had dibs on first born, mum had dibs on the second. Fortunately I was the second born, otherwise I'd be a Richmond supporter :p.

There are the canterbury-bankstown bulldogs
There are the east fremantle sharks
There are the donnybrook dons
There is the australian cricket team

But most importantly

There are the west coast eagles. We're the big birds and we play in the big games.

Sure as hell I did! Dad is a Pie, and his dad is a Pie. So is my uncle and his kids; and on Mum's side of the family, her grandmother, her father and their family were all mad Collingwood, and owned a shop in Hoddle St where they apparently used to dress it up in Black and White for the finals, and he and his son used to attend every match at Victoria Park with a season's ticket.

Had no choice but to be Collingwood and would never have wanted it any other way. My threat as a 7yo used to be 'I'm gonna barrack for Essendon if I don't get/have what I want!'. That's Collingwood for you.

Dad is a pom who was a token Richmond supporter when asked by the guys at work. Nevery really followed them.

Each of his sons up until me followed a different team. I was closest to my younger brother who followed the Blues. He convinced me to follow them when i was 5, the day before the 1995 grand final :thumbsu:

My Father was a strange case, he seemed to follow whoever was winning during the 80s...

Geelong/Hawthorn/Melbourne? But he always hated Essendon.

My Mothers side of the family though has a strong connection with Essendon and my grandpa bought my a membership when i was 12 :p So you could say i was....brainwashed lol

I came over from NZ to half of my family living here who all followed Collingwood. All I heard was that Collingwood was going to win the 1980 GF - so my first game was watching Richmond win the 1980 GF - against Collingwood. It turned me off Collingwood, and as I don't like following the sheep I went for a smaller unfashionable club that had a lot of character and guts - still happy I did, but wish they would hurry up and win their 2nd premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you follow your old man?

Back