Div 3 Southern football league 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would the 3 teams potentially be?

South Mornington
Chelsea
South Melbourne Districts

I hope the league also has plans to help rejuvenate a few clubs that are struggling, especially in that outer s/e region where you have a high concentration of clubs, who are all either mired in div 3 forever or get out for a season or 2, then find themselves back there.

If it did go to 4 Divisions would there be any hope of getting the Southern Dragons up again or is that dead & buried?
Surely Cerberus would have a crack if it went to 4 tiers?

If it did go to 4 Divisions would there be any hope of getting the Southern Dragons up again or is that dead & buried?
Southern Dragons have been re badged into Clayton South FC look up their Facebook page.

I think the Dragons are done and dusted.
It would be good if Cerberus would enter a senior and reserves side again. Always great hosts up at the navy base, and it has never sat well with me that they are effectively entering a senior side in the thirds competition.

Surely it's time the existing clubs had a say about what clubs are allowed in. It has a direct and sometimes very negative effect on surrounding clubs.

More clubs does not mean a stronger Comp.

Applications to join the league should be made public, the applicant should have to be financially viable and it should be voted on by the member clubs.
That's how other leagues do it.

how about a plan from the league on where they want to go in the next five years?

Picking up the dregs of other comps hardly strengthens our Comp.
Is it true A.Read needs a knee reco but has played the whole year and kicked 50 ?

Agreed.
Look im probably still a little bit of my face from the meds (i just took my nightly dose)... but are you just putting blokes (from the bottom sides) in based on times in the best? I reakon the best players from those sides would struggle to make the seniors at Mount or Doveton. Just my 2cents.

There's definitely an argument that some players who play well in a poor team would struggle in a better team. You could also argue that some of those guys would actually play even better in a good side, with better players around them. I don't think you can just dismiss players from the lower placed teams all together.
I'd mount a case for Jack Williams. He's kicked 47 goals in a team that's only won a few games. He's also spent a lot of time down back. He'd go even better in a stronger team. Just my 2 cents worth.

South Mornington
Tyabb
Chadstone
Box hill nth
Sth Mornington - No. Struggled to field 1 side in VAFA Club 18 at times and finished last.
Chadstone- No. Will be lucky to survive into 2017.
Box Hill North - No. Not financial enough to survive outside VAFA, plus enjoy the VAFA comp.
Tyabb - Unknown

I have heard Sth Melbourne Districts and Hampton Park. Hampton Park makes sense due to Dingley/Keysborough doing better in SFNL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoke to a SFNL board member today who stated, that at a board meeting during the week, there was no discussion about teams coming in or a 4th division

Sth Mornington - No. Struggled to field 1 side in VAFA Club 18 at times and finished last.
Chadstone- No. Will be lucky to survive into 2017.
Box Hill North - No. Not financial enough to survive outside VAFA, plus enjoy the VAFA comp.
Tyabb - Unknown

I have heard Sth Melbourne Districts and Hampton Park. Hampton Park makes sense due to Dingley/Keysborough doing better in SFNL

SFNL need to be a bit discerning about who they let in. Some of the same names come up every year but they have no plans of moving from where they are. Not sure that we always want to be the destination of choice for clubs who cant win a game in other comps.

Chaddy going nowhere but why would you even bother enticing a club that has won 1 game in 7 years in the 7th grade of the VAFA?

Hampton Park have been struggling for years – footy in that area is a basket case and the SFNL already over subscribed with clubs from the Dandy area that are on their knees.

Would be great to land a strong, established club like Edi-As, Bonbeach, Chelsea etc. Forget Parkdale. They have no intention of leaving the ammos despite their name being linked to a move every season.

OMG, how to stimulate a cold wet Friday at work. old Melways has awoken a few posters with a Red Herring I.e. No cred.

This will not happen. The bottom clubs of Div 3 are stuffed so no club is looking to come in.

The league is secretly focused on setting up 3-4 super clubs out East through mergers, netball and women's football to attract major sponsors. My mail is Dandenong, Hallam, EH and mount likely to secure the franchise.

Watch this space.

The league is secretly focused on setting up 3-4 super clubs out East through mergers, netball and women's football to attract major sponsors. My mail is Dandenong, Hallam, EH and mount likely to secure the franchise.

Watch this space.

Lol.

All 4 of those clubs could merge and they would still be a mile off the budgets the surrounding clubs are working with. I'm not having a dig at those 4 either.

Clyde is the likely new location of a start up club, or where a struggler might consider relocating to.

Last edited:
Spoke to a SFNL board member today who stated, that at a board meeting during the week, there was no discussion about teams coming in or a 4th division
Maybe they should consider it.

I've thought for a while that it would make for a good balance.

Leave Div 1 as 10 teams.
Then 3 divs of 8 teams ( needing 1 new club or Cerberus to field a senior side in div4)

Using the current ladders across div 2 and div3 as a guide, you would have a lot more competitive games each week.

Last edited:
Top 5 in place.

Where to now for EH? Continually pumped as a final side for 12 months now, with even Muscat stating on radio 2-3 weeks ago they were certainties to play in them. By the way I have it as 100% that he will stand down and a new coach there in 2017. Done a great job but obviously frustrated they couldn't get there when needed. Losses against Lyndale early in season plus Doveton and Ashwood at home recently mucked them yup. Obviously will have a number of retirees who were hoping for finals crack. They have some exciting juniors coming through however it may put them back for 1-2 years.

Well done Dandenong and Sandown on playing the season out against the odds - players coaches ( especially one who jumped in when the other jumped out into SS Phillips life raft when going got tough) and committees.

Hallam and South Yarra are not making up numbers, knowing them they will be shaping the finals.

The Eagles hosted Lyndhurst today and the visitors turned up in good numbers, supported loudly and then came into the rooms in strong numbers again after the game. Great effort getting 6 wins in their first year. I reckon they'd be pretty happy with their efforts and rightly so. I look forward to seeing how they progress

Remove this Banner Ad

Div 3 Southern football league 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back