D2 Division 2 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
while we are at who do you think will do the drop. It will be a chook raffel out of these four
Leos are a bit shakey
SMS are a young side might faulter later in the colder months and injuries
SMD just not there at the moment not enough good players
Latrobe lost a lot of players will take time to jell a new side can they do in enough time to get enough wins to stay up

Considering Therry have got the closest to BT (10 goals closer than Prahran), you would have to think they will make finals?

Considering Therry have got the closest to BT (10 goals closer than Prahran), you would have to think they will make finals?

The logic is flawed GG but I also think Therry will make the finals. Will have a much better idea at the half-way mark of the season.

BT
Eltham
PA
Therry

Bulleen Temp report record sales of James Boags Draught on Saturday at Bulleen Park.... did I spot you there Gasso? Therry certainly coming along ok i reckon. Did you dodge the 000 on the way back up Bell Street??

Yes, I did sneak over to Bulleen Park, can't even go to the footy these days without being spotted.

It was a good game and Therry were very impressive for the most part, cream probably rose to the top in the end. Therry will definately there at the business end I reckon.

I had a couple of Boags Draught (read:many) but had a designated driver to get back to Oak Park (read: Toorak of the North).

See ya soon Dermie.

tips for this week
leos v monash Monash 12 points
BT V OP Bullants 24 points
Theery v Lartobe Therry 36 points
Smd v Eltham Turtles 40 points
PA v Sms Pa 55 points

All went according to plan last weekend except the thumping Latrobe received as Emmaus lifted themselves out of relegation zone. Only four rounds played and already it is down to a six horse race for finals.

Progressive 15/20

Emmaus vs South Melbourne - 6 points. Tough game to pick here and I'll call this match of the round. Important game for both clubs to put a gap between them and relegation. Normally I would have gone for Souths but the win last week from Emmaus has got me thinking. They also took it right up to Parade the week before. Close contest and will pick the home team with the Baranello boys to continue their stellar form.

Bulleen vs Therry - 45 points. I rate Therry to be very strong contenders for that fourth spot on the ladder but they are no match for the top 3(Ants, 4Blues and Turtles). The Bulleen midfield sets up the forwards so well with run and spread. This has resulted in Bulleen having 4 of the top 8 goal kickers in the comp. Since going forward Khouri has been building up to kicking a bag and think this weekend might be it.

Monash vs Latrobe - 56 points. Devastating loss for Latrobe last week and think things will only get worse from here. Will be a long season and hard to keep the lads motivated. Gryphons are playing well but have failed to really smash these lowly teams as their percentage shows. With showers clearing I expect the Gryphons bigs to come in to play, so expect Heppell to shine.

Eltham vs St Marys - 72 points. SMS have some real problems at the moment. Really struggle up forward and the only players who seem to want to go get the ball are the young smalls. It wont be an enjoyable trip out to Eltham as Ciavola will want to hit back after being well contained last week.

Parade vs Prahran - 51 points. Parade have probably had the easiest draw of anyone thus far, but their hold on third spot will be short lived having to face 4Blues, Ants and Turtles in the next 3 weeks. I would expect them to be 6th at that stage and will probably finish up there at the end of the season. They won't have anyone to handle the class of the likes of Musster and Pell delivering the ball to Sleight up forward. Should be an easy game for the Four Blues running out comfortable winners.

Good luck for the weekend all!

5 out of 5 last weekend. Therry ran with Bulleen for 3/4 only to go down by 6 goals in the end. I think this is a bit of a trend we are starting to see and as the season goes on and teams get fitter, the gap between Bulleen and the rest of the comp will lessen. The Ant boys obviously had a big preseason and have caught everyone off guard but at this stage don't think they are invincible.

Progressive 20/25

Emmaus vs Monash - 26 points. Emmaus obviously have some players coming back and are playing some good footy. This week will be their opportunity to see how much they have improved. They need to do more than beat the bottom teams if they wish to have a real tilt at finals. I think this week they will be brought back to earth, as Flowerday loves the wet weather and will help the Gryphons across the line. Match of the round.

Bulleen vs Parade - 42 points. Parade will be half way through the toughest 3 weeks of the year and will not be any closer to finals. It's good and well to think they are finals contenders but only for that fourth spot which will be decided when they play Monash. Not much to say here, Bulleen will run out comfortable winners and expect the dynamic duo in Cherbakof and Khouri to kick another bag between them.

Therry vs Latrobe - 12 points. Therry have failed to impress so far this year only being able to beat a couple of lowly teams. In saying that they would be happy to take it up to Bulleen for 3/4. If they can keep that form up for a full game they will win here. La Trobe seem to have a similar issue with running games out and wont have enough gas to catch up in the last quarter. Crotty driving from the backline will keep the Therry boys in finals contention.

South Melbourne vs Eltham - 45 points. Souths are looking at facing the drop here as Eltham will be strong winners away from home. They don't have anyone to match the Turtles talls or strong ball getters. Richardson is a gun and whether he kicks goals or not will have a field day for Eltham.

Prahran vs St Marys - 52 points. St Mary's wont know what has hit them this week and the question will be how many goals Sleight will kick. I'm guessing 8, which will put him well ahead in the chase for the Coleman medal. St Mary's have some good young kids but there bodies wont stand up well to the much stronger Prahran and am guessing they will have some sore boys come Saturday night.

Good luck this weekend.

Emmaus St Leos vs Monash Gryphons - An opportunity for the Gryphons to put a bit of space between thenselves and some of the others coverting a top four finish.
Bullen Templestowe vs Old Paradians - Another toughie for the Raiders but think the conditions might favour them and see them sneak home over the Bullants.
Therry Penola vs La Trobe University - A must win for the Oak Park boys if they want to play finals and they should be able to counter everything from the Students.
South Melbourne vs Old Eltham - The Turtles are another team that need to keep winning if they want to be in finals contention and they should against the Swans here.
Prahran vs St Marys Salesian - This looks a bit of a mismatch with the Two Blues to feast on the younger Sainters.

Round 4 Preview

A most defining round from a tipping perspective with cases for almost every team to win…

Bullants over Turtles by 38 Pts (Top of the table clash that should ensure plenty of interest from fans and pundits alike but can only see this going one way despite the confidence the Turtles hold in protecting their home patch. Expect a big game from Justin Khouri as Bulleen shorten into the red for the flag).
SMS over the Gryphs by 3 Pts (Even though I do not expect either of these teams to feature at the business end of the season, I feel this may be the match of the round. The leg speed and skills of the combine against the no holes barred aggression of the feisty Gryphons is a mouth-watering proposal. Sid Jones to be best afield).
Prahran over Therry by 21 Pts (Even though both sides sit 2 and 1 and the Lions are at home I rate the Four Blues a much better side and feel they will show their credentials with a hard fought but decisive win. It will be close in the first half, but I suspect Adam Sleight will kick a ‘Michelle’ at least and keep the lads from Fawkner at bay).
Trobers over Emmaus by 11 Pts (It seems that Latrobe is the team I cannot select correctly and if this continues Emmaus should notch up their first win. However, if they play with the passion of last week and the fact that it may be under similar conditions has me selecting the students. I will take either Barenello Brother for best on ground).
Districts by 10 Pts over Paradians (Another game that could clearly go either way, but the home ground advantage of the animal enclosure at Lindsay Hassett may be enough to see the Bloods over the line. Josh Lambert to continue his good form).

Round 4 Review

2/5 (12/20 cumulative) was back to earth with a thud from a tipping perspective, but I did predict a tough round with every match a chance of going either way.

Bulleen franked their superb early form with a tough win at Eltham. The Bullants set up the win with an excellent first quarter into the breeze and hence held a winning break at the half. The Turtles tried their best but the visitors had too many guns such as Kris Cherbakov and Paul Florance.

The Four Blues kept Therry goalless in the second term and went upon their merry way with a strong win on the road. The Oak Park boys no match for the likes of Cardinal Pell and Jimmy Musster.

The Trobers were bitterly disappointing on their home patch in a match that was never really a contest after half time. Full credit to Emmaus in notching their first win and doing it so impressively, pushing Latrobe into a perilous position at the foot of the table.

Take note of the name Bryce Griesheimer, who is likely to cause opposition backlines trouble all year and has earned the tag ‘Recruit of the Year’, in some circles. The sort of extra strong forward the Gryphs have needed for ages and he is taking the heat off Harry Madden and Kye Cherian. It seems I have under-rated the Gryphs somewhat who dismantled the Saints with ease on their home ground and who may be able to match it with most in this grade.

Finally, South will rue a second half where they could only manage one goal to Parade’s 8 and subsequently blew a six goal lead at the half to fall short by three points. Could be a very costly loss for the Bloods who were arguably left wanting when it counted by the likes of Dan Giddings and Sean Miller. Full credit to the Paradians perseverance who now have their season well back on track.

Round 5 Preview

Emmaus over Bloods by 8 Pts (Certainly could go either way and South will no doubt want to atone for last week’s capitulation, but I reckon I’ll select the home team in a flip of the coin. Nic ‘Rockin’ Robin to star for the home side).
Bullants over Therry by 67 Pts (If Bulleen hit top gear, this margin may be conservative to say the least, but I feel Therry may make a game of this for a time before the Ants pull well clear. Mick Pace to be best afield).
Gryphs over Trobers by 51 Pts (Surely complacency is the only thing that could stop this being a rout. Monash midfield led by Matt Fletcher to crush Latrobe and send them further into the relegation mire).
Eltham over SMS by 73 Pts (The Turtles are a pretty handy outfit and should crush the hapless Saints by a big margin. Ben O’Malley to be amongst the best for the home side).
Prahran over Paradians by 15 Pts (Clear match of the day for mine and I feel the Blues will be made to work very hard to secure the win. Parade showed fighting qualities seldom displayed in this grade last week and if they can play with that spirit they will go close. Of course there is an argument that they will be crushed due to the fact of letting themselves fall six goals behind South…Jimmy Musster to be a class above).

Good luck to all

Quasi
No time for my usual review/preview this week. Sorry to all

5/5 (17/25 cumulative) last week was pleasing, but hardly difficult with most results going as planned

Round 6 Preview

Monash over Emmaus by 14 Pts ('8 pointer' where Gryphs should be suited by the heavy conditions)
Bulleen over Paradians by 61 Pts (The juggernaut set to continue)
Therry over Trobers by 38 pts (Margin conservative due to the wet).
Turtles over Districts by 28 Pts (Too many guns at Eltham)
Prahran over SMS by 85 Pts (Surely this will be one way traffic)

Good luck to all

Quasi

was a hard fought game at bulleen park. from a neutral observer's point of view it looked like parade were the current undefeated side. just seem to want it more than the home team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been sitting back reading posts and getting to a few games. Time to make some comments. Stating the obvious but BT and Prahran certainties for finals and probably Eltham. Battle for the 4th (&maybe 3rd) spot a good one. So far the teams in contention for this have been up and down like the stock market.
Old Parade hard at it last weekend. Can they keep it up? At least they won't get tired on their postage stamp of a ground.
Therry go well when in the mood.
Monash can't kick straight and have a terrible game plan. Johnny why are they going backwards to go fwd. Frought with danger this tactic as last Saturday revealed.

Monash can't kick straight and have a terrible game plan. Johnny why are they going backwards to go fwd. Frought with danger this tactic as last Saturday revealed.
Terrible game plan? What are you talking about. Kick straight and we win.
In fact had we kicked straight in the 2011 grand final, may have been a different result.
In 2011 Monash were not in the best 3 sides with talent yet made the GF. And this year Id say Monash are not in the top 6 yet will push for 4.
Thats not the sign of a team with a terrible game plan!

In fact had we kicked straight in the 2011 grand final, may have been a different result.
In 2011 Monash were not in the best 3 sides with talent yet made the GF. And this year Id say Monash are not in the top 6 yet will push for 4.

Can I have my intestines back Johnny?
I just coughed them up laughing. "If we had of kicked straight in the 2011 GF, it may off been a different result".
You're funny! You should try stand up comedy, pass me the tissues please

Not being picky Johhny but game plans evolve, need to to stay ahead of the pack. St Kilda got to a couple of grand finals using a particular game plan but have had to change as other teams have countered it. Maybe Monash need to do likewise. Last I will say on the subject.

Gryphs forwards move slower than a glacier.....seen them play against Leo's on the weekend and my goodness, couldnt take a catch and couldnt hit the back side of a barn with a kick...

Gryphs need to have a look at the style of play as it looks like a mess watching it...

Leo's produced in trying conditions!!

Gryphs forwards move slower than a glacier.....seen them play against Leo's on the weekend and my goodness, couldnt take a catch and couldnt hit the back side of a barn with a kick...

Gryphs need to have a look at the style of play as it looks like a mess watching it...

Leo's produced in trying conditions!!

You would expect the home teams game style to suit their home ground...

You would expect the home teams game style to suit their home ground...

Lots of rubbish on here recently, its Div 2 ammos game plans, home grounds play a very minimal part in winning games at this level.

It comes down to fitness and good players in key positions which Monash lack. Have a resonable defence when settled, lack good mids and have a couple of big dud forwards. Still not riding them off as they normally find a way, but things didnt look good for them on the weekend.

Lots of rubbish on here recently, its Div 2 ammos game plans, home grounds play a very minimal part in winning games at this level.

It comes down to fitness and good players in key positions which Monash lack. Have a resonable defence when settled, lack good mids and have a couple of big dud forwards. Still not riding them off as they normally find a way, but things didnt look good for them on the weekend.

Home grounds play a minimal part in winning games?

I'd be surprised if history agrees with that.

I'd also suspect that the lower the standard of football the more home ground advantage matters.

Having said that I simply stated you'd expect the home team to have a game plan which suits its ground more so than the opposition- do you disagree with that?

The way the Gryphons moved the ball against us (short and wide) and their skill level by foot I don't think it would make any difference who they had sitting in their forward line. I certainly wouldn't want to play key forward for them. And their mid's are well undersized compared to most other sides at this level. They have a crack and will be competitive in this grade this year but I cant see them challenging the top 4-5 sides when it matters.
I thought Therry would be the side to lock up 4th spot going off results, until last weekend with Old Paradians throwing their name back in the mix.. Will be a very interesting season with the battle for the 4th spot and the relegation battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back