D2 Division 2 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Ventured down to Rathmines on Saturday, a disappointing day.

When I first rocked up I went looking for the senior ground only to find out the game was being played on the Auskick sized ground.

Friars have never liked playing on the small grounds and will take comfort in knowing finals are on real grounds.

Unfortunately the 2 losses on the postage stamps will cost them a top 2 and the double chance.
That's fair, contested footy is not for everyone

"Auskick Sized" "Real Grounds"
Blaming the size of the ground is tad embarrassing. Its sort of insinuating that you guys are soft.
Brunswick, Elsternwick and South Melbourne didn't find it too difficult to navigate.

Brunswick are just beating everyone whilst the other 2 also play on pretty small grounds.

When the Friars played Hawthorn on a real ground it wasn’t even close.

Brunswick are just beating everyone whilst the other 2 also play on pretty small grounds.

When the Friars played Hawthorn on a real ground it wasn’t even close.
You've had a bit of luck this year Navy.
Played the Citz when they had about 10 out, controversial after the siren win against Bulleen (from what I saw on the weekend a goal umpiring controversy doesn't shock) and Brunswick resting half their side.
I guess some years you have more luck than others. But, good teams ride their luck.

You've had a bit of luck this year Navy.
Played the Citz when they had about 10 out, controversial after the siren win against Bulleen (from what I saw on the weekend a goal umpiring controversy doesn't shock) and Brunswick resting half their side.
I guess some years you have more luck than others. But, good teams ride their luck.

Yet also played one of the bottom sides on their ground when the Friars had 50 unavailable across the list. You can’t use injuries or unavailability as an excuse.

As for Bulleen Temp, nothing controversial about it, too many umpires not willing to make correct and obvious decisions when games are tight doesn’t make the good decisions controversial.

Yet also played one of the bottom sides on their ground when the Friars had 50 unavailable across the list. You can’t use injuries or unavailability as an excuse.

As for Bulleen Temp, nothing controversial about it, too many umpires not willing to make correct and obvious decisions when games are tight doesn’t make the good decisions controversial.
If you're referring to SMS, then I would point out that you beat us round 1 because we couldn't kick straight. Nothing to do with a bigger ground.

Can't use injuries or unavailability's but ground size is a valid reason. Got it.
The Frias mantra - Anywhere, anytime if its at our ground or the size of our ground.

Depends if any other club leaves or merges in the off-season. Or if Mentone or Masala are ready to comeback into D3.

Aquinas and WP should go down as that is probably the level both clubs are at as it stands.
Nah. BT are unlikely to win anyway, but you can't send a team down if they finished 8th. Maintain 10 sides in D2.

Depends if any other club leaves or merges in the off-season. Or if Mentone or Masala are ready to comeback into D3.

Aquinas and WP should go down as that is probably the level both clubs are at as it stands.

WP haven’t been that bad, should have beaten Elsternwick if not for missing some very easy goals in the last qtr, were the better team across the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. BT are unlikely to win anyway, but you can't send a team down if they finished 8th. Maintain 10 sides in D2.
They sent North brunswick down in 2022 after finishing 8th, after westbourne went to the thirds comp. Then NB won the double flag and look to do it again this year in the merged D3. Aquinas were saved last year due to division restructuring, not sure if lightening strikes twice there

They sent North brunswick down in 2022 after finishing 8th, after westbourne went to the thirds comp. Then NB won the double flag and look to do it again this year in the merged D3. Aquinas were saved last year due to division restructuring, not sure if lightening strikes twice there
NB finished 8th in a 9 team comp. That was due to a divisional restructure as well. Completely different circumstances

Aquinas were relegated in 2016 despite finishing 3rd last because the VAFA decided with 6 weeks left in the season that they’d send 3 clubs down instead of the usual 2. We got saved last year after finishing last by Ivanhoe and Parade heading to the NFNL. Those 2 years probably even each other out in terms of unlucky and lucky.

I dare say if we finish 3rd last this year we probably deserve to stay up like every other club in the VAFA that finishes 3rd last. If we finish below that then relegation is rightly on the cards.

NB finished 8th in a 9 team comp. That was due to a divisional restructure as well. Completely different circumstances
If you say so, NB weren't happy at the time but looking back now after a double flag and a huge chance to do it again this year they'd be okay with it

Nobs in a close one. Both teams will want the win as they could meet each other again in a few weeks. Match of the round for div 2

St Mary’s to finish the year off with a win
WF easily
Wicks easily
Hawthorn easily

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sad result yesterday against the NOBS kryptonite SMD, fair play to them, will be a tough matchup in finals.
Tahj OX Haddock though capped off another great season, 8 times in the best player from Full Back. Surely he is a lock for the Team of the Year? potentially even a cute little (c) next to his name

Great week to wrap up the H&A season.

NOBS vs SMD - NobsNuffy has explained it well, simply kryptonite. Unlucky not to have a top 2 spot, otherwise I would have thought the Bloods would have gotten the Divvy 1 promo after week 1.

SMS vs MHS - The unicorns showing a bit of firepower, a good way for them to finish off the season. Not sure they have kicked over 100+ points this year. Unlucky for SMS, however, they still have ways to go but have shown glimpses this year.

Wicks vs WP - Wicks had it all game, but interesting last quarter with WP having I think 12 scoring shots from memory? Something I'm sure the Wicks will want to fix up against NOBS, can't be letting Hayden Parker get that many shots in week 1. Pretty happy with the finish with our mob, lots to work on in preseason, but I think we might be a real shot for finals next year. Hearing the marmalade fellas are leaving us next year, however.

WF vs BT - BT have given it their all year, albeit I think EFL will be more suited for them. WF getting a nice tune-up before the real deal against the Bloods.

Citz vs Aquinas - Citz will be unlucky to miss the 4 this year considering that their best deserves a promotion into D1, however in saying that, consistency makes the best teams, and albeit injuries play a part, it's simply just not an excuse. They'll be one of the favorites for next year if Raiti and Meehan stick around.

Last edited:
Seniors Week 1 Finals Predictions

NOBS vs Wicks - NOBS if Hogenbirk is back? NOBS by 35
SMD vs Friars - Friars, beat them 3 weeks ago, I think they have an outside chance of a promotion. Friars by 9

Reserves Week 1 Finals Predictions

NOBS vs MHS - Should be NOBS considering the pumping they gave them last week. NOBS by 40
SMS vs SMD - SMS with comfort. SMS by 40

Last edited:
Nobs v wicks- Nobs by 35. I imagine hogenbirk to be back from suspension. To be close for 3/4 then the nobs to kick away in the last. To be closer if jones plays for the wicks

WF V SMD- SMD by 1 in an absolute classic unless height plays for WF then I’m backing them in to have too much fire power up forward

In the twos

Nobs v mhsob- nobs by 40

Smd v sms- districts by 28. To quick for the saints, and have a full book to choose from. Saints only being able to play players qualified

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Finals Week 1 Prediction:
  • NOBS by 30, fair few big ins to accompany the Big Tahj Ox who will be not doubt playing a lot like Luke Ryan in that purple
  • WF by 10

You'd expect same ground different day this week for the two finals. Lines up well given Brunswick are in the QF for both and SMD the elimination for both.

Hoping for somewhere without paid parking haha

I think when you have same ground, different day it defeats the integrity of the game. Means you can have players drop down which is beneficial for SMD and Brunswick, but horror for SMS and MHS.

I'd hope VAFA don't do this, but ya never know with this league.

Paid Parking is shocking. Hoping ticket prices are decently cheap with the cost of living crisis we are having right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

D2 Division 2 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back