D4 Division 4 Section 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not every team is lucky to have a guy like Lucas (who would probably umpire C Grade regularly if he was a league umpire) blowing the whistle in the twos. The others are trying their best, as frustrating as that may at times seem. I reckon their errors are as glaring as our miskicks and shrugged tackles so any criticism is for the most part unwarranted.

Whispers has heard that RCAFC is close to a late signing. I have been privy to the dealings of this possible transfer.

Stay tuned as this player could be wearing the black and gold as early as round 6. Would mean that there could be some even more bulk height and self confidence being jammed into the snakes fowrward 45.
Whispers out.

Hummer 21.

Catch any games on the weekend?

Or were we kicking the dew off the ground for big boys again this weekend?
Both. I dutifully held half back down for 4 quarters in the morning and then appeased my VAFA yearning palate with some A section football and a afternoon hotdog, twas a delightful day.

Whispers, given you seem to be well read with everything RCAFC, I was wondering if you could either quell or provide more insight into the latest rumours coming out of KB reserve?

I shall premise the rumour with a justification for my curiosity.

As an avid D4 supporter, I followed with a keen interest the signings of new players for 2011, namely that of Sebastian Angus to RCAFC.

While I had never seen this A grade, Victorian representative play I was certain that a drop in 7 grades would have the big man dominating this season.

Now i'll be the first to admit that it appears that the 6 best players put on the internet resemble a lucky tip rather then a true indication of form however a quick gander through the results yields one measly mention from the man mountain.

This information alone isn't enough to create the rumours sailing out of KB reserve however just yesterday as I walked my Cocker Spaniel, Rufus around the Yarra Boulevard I heard a few RCAFC "high-ups" expressing their growing concerns at their prized recruits ability to perform in the cellar's of the VAFA.

Whispers, is this feeling of an under performing 'big fish in a little pond' a shared belief among the RCAFC faithful or is it an isolated belief from a club official that dare I say is suffering from buyers remorse?

P.S fix your toilets, they stink!

So I take it you didn't think my umpiring was very good! Or my aftermatch speech :)

Honestly....When are players going to just give up bagging reserve grade umpires, who from most part volunteer there time to umpire us below grade standard footballers while giving an unbias as possible call on the game. No one goes out to purposefully cheat another D4 team out of a win.

Pretty poor form having a crack at an opposition bloke, even worst turning on your own club representative, which I've witnessed quiet often already this year. If you don't like it, why not have a crack yourself...

Just to get it clear I'm not an umpire.

Looking forward to having the snakes down this week. Presidents cup on the line and arguably the match up of the season season has Big Waz(RC Pres) tagging a fit and chiselled Kotsa(BHN Pres) who may argue this, but currently in the best condition we've ever seen in his time at Elgar Park. Lock him away for 2-3 cheap snags and some hard working in the forward press.

No i,m not taking the piss and I let him know on the ground what I thought of his umpiring. I had already left by the time the speeches were made and no body laughed at his attemp at humour by what i.m told. If you thought his umpiring was ok then maybe you are taking the piss. I've played the last eight years against your team and nothing has changed, having your president umpiring is a joke.

As someone who once had a crack at umpiring the 2s(for the centrals btw) about a decade ago I can say for certain it is blokes like you that make it very difficult for clubs to find 2s umpires. I also played for 10 years(poorly) and I can tell you the umpiring gig was alot harder than playing. One thing you can gaurantee is that the opposition players think your a cheat and your own players get stuck into you for not giving them a fair go. You are on a hiding to nothing. I reckon every second umpire back then was a president and most sat on the committee in some form because it is to hard to find anyone else to do it.

The best comeback I ever heard was from a 2s umpire when a player had a crack at him over his standard of umpiring. He simply replied "Mate your player reserves in D4 footy and your having a crack at my standard of umpiring" It was enough said.

So rather than have a crack at the few blokes who have the guts to do what is the hardest job out there how about going up to them at the end of the game and saying thanks mate, I know its a Sh!t job but without blokes like you doing it then hacks like me would not get to play the game we love.

As someone who once had a crack at umpiring the 2s(for the centrals btw) about a decade ago I can say for certain it is blokes like you that make it very difficult for clubs to find 2s umpires. I also played for 10 years(poorly) and I can tell you the umpiring gig was alot harder than playing. One thing you can gaurantee is that the opposition players think your a cheat and your own players get stuck into you for not giving them a fair go. You are on a hiding to nothing. I reckon every second umpire back then was a president and most sat on the committee in some form because it is to hard to find anyone else to do it.

The best comeback I ever heard was from a 2s umpire when a player had a crack at him over his standard of umpiring. He simply replied "Mate your player reserves in D4 footy and your having a crack at my standard of umpiring" It was enough said.

So rather than have a crack at the few blokes who have the guts to do what is the hardest job out there how about going up to them at the end of the game and saying thanks mate, I know its a Sh!t job but without blokes like you doing it then hacks like me would not get to play the game we love.

Totally agree with you. I also have been an umpire in the lower reserve grades over the years as a player on rotation, and it is a very very tough gig.

I have learnt over the years that it is better to let the play run and pay minimal free kicks, rather than try and get involved and think you are an AFL umpire.

No-one playing in D4 reserves has any real right to have a crack at umpires. They are doing a great service and the game would not go ahead without them.

To Vicroads, pull your head out of your a$$, and have a go at it one week and you will see how tough it is.

Also, I am not affiliated with any D4 club, I enjoy reading the banter from clubs and feel that this topic was something I feel strongly enough about to post my thoughts.

Watched a bit of the RC vs NB reserves, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the umpiring. It was certainly more consistent than the seniors. As for the post match address, how could it be interpreted any other way than tongue in cheek?

Good match at KB, with RC playing the ground a lot better. Don't know what Christian Traeger was on, but he was on fire. Some of the best contested marking I've seen.

Good match at KB, with RC playing the ground a lot better. Don't know what Christian Traeger was on, but he was on fire. Some of the best contested marking I've seen.

Agreed GnG... trages was on fire... as was Pat Notaro... Nth has picked up some handy players this year. They have traditionally lacked height, but have made up for that this season and its paying dividends.

I have played a lot of 2's and senior football over the last 7-8 years and I can honestly say that the standard of umpiring in the reserves is generally more consistent and usually follows a more common sense approach; that I find more condusive to a free flowing game of football.

That said the worst umpiring I have ever seen has been in the reserves by a couple of clearly bias umpires, so I don't quite agree that club umpires never cheat.

In closing though, Waz is as honest as the day is long. He loves his club and does whatever he can to help. Giving the guy a bake is a bit rough. Our old president used to umpire, was useless and never got accused of cheating. He was probably harder on us.

To the winger, suck it up princess. I have also umpired and agree that if you let the game go and just call what needs to be called it provides a much better game.

Now to teach the senior umpires the same thing...

The "He has chosen to take the advantage" rule is starting to piss people off. It is supposed to be the decision of the player currently holding the ball, but as it has turned out, its more at the umpire's discretion than ever before.

Or maybe, its just that the players aren't aware of the new rule. Also, in lower grades of footy, the umpires tend to be a bit slow on the whistle, so how can the player with the ball know if there as a free kick or not?

Rant over.

The "He has chosen to take the advantage" rule is starting to piss people off. It is supposed to be the decision of the player currently holding the ball, but as it has turned out, its more at the umpire's discretion than ever before.

Or maybe, its just that the players aren't aware of the new rule. Also, in lower grades of footy, the umpires tend to be a bit slow on the whistle, so how can the player with the ball know if there as a free kick or not?

Rant over.

2 out of the 4 games I've played this rule has been in place ... the other 2 it hasn't ... sometimes it works well other times it doesn't.

It will take a while for both players and umpires to get the hang of this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said.

On the topic of umpires

Things I agree with,Lucas is a great umpire and would definately be C grade but is 100% loyal to NB,i know i have tried to recruit him.Club umps are on a hiding to nothing from their own club and visitors,most I have seen do a great job.

Things I do not agree with,Crazy your club Pres was far from hopeless and your comment just prooves that clubbies are no a hiding to nothing,Waz a cheat,no way,straight as a gun barrel.

A comment here said that players cannot play without umps,well without the players we cannot play our sport of umpiring,no ump is perfect and no player can say they don't make mistakes through a game,reasonability is the key but when you make it personal such as the criticism of RC pres.that is crossing the line.

Advantage Rule and late calls,please consider that now the umps have to react to the player taking advantage rather than calling it themselves this will inevitable make the call a little later as we are waiting for the player to react before we call.

Round 5 Tips

North Brunswick vs Manningham - NB by 4 goals.
South Mornington vs Chadstone - SM by 25 goals.
Box Hill North vs Richmond - BHN by 1 goal.
Point Cook vs Swinburne Uni - SU by 2 goals.
St Francis Xavier vs Eley Park - SFX by 6 goals.

Reserves: NB, SM, BHN, SU, SFX

A wise man once said:

"play D4 football, get D4 umpires..if you want better umpries, become a better footballer"

Have only ever seen 1 game where it the opposition reserves umpire was blatantly bias - this team I shall not mention. It was about 6 years ago though......................

Toughest gig in footy, and well done to all those that put their hand up in the whites. I have tried the hand at umpiring and was amazed when I had a mate (?) abuse me in an internal practice match!

But to Nellup and the rest of the umpiring fraternity, I notice it is umpire appreciation round this week - I know the umps will get a free beer or two after the game at Elgar Park - win, lose or draw.

This doesn't include include you though Waz..................:):) Hopefully you are slugging it out on the park with Kotsa!

Have only ever seen 1 game where it the opposition reserves umpire was blatantly bias - this team I shall not mention. It was about 6 years ago though......................

Toughest gig in footy, and well done to all those that put their hand up in the whites. I have tried the hand at umpiring and was amazed when I had a mate (?) abuse me in an internal practice match!

But to Nellup and the rest of the umpiring fraternity, I notice it is umpire appreciation round this week - I know the umps will get a free beer or two after the game at Elgar Park - win, lose or draw.

This doesn't include include you though Waz..................:):) Hopefully you are slugging it out on the park with Kotsa!

I can't get a game in the reserves these days... Even for the presidents cup! Perhaps Kotsa and I will toss the coin :) If I can find someone else to do the umpiring...

I can't get a game in the reserves these days... Even for the presidents cup! Perhaps Kotsa and I will toss the coin :) If I can find someone else to do the umpiring...

By the sounds of things Waz, should have been Umpire Appreciation week last week!

Good to see both clubs reach the stage where we aren't needed to make up the numbers. We know what happen last time at Elgar you tried to have a crack. Don't think you want to go through that again!

Good idea about tossing the coin but it ain't going to look good if you're umpiring as well.

Will you be shouting Harvey? Pretty hard to get a free beer out of the bar staff at Elgar Park!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back