MRP / Trib. Dockers shock as Sylvia faces month-long ban

Remove this Banner Ad

But what is the best way to handle him? An Ultimatum? Walters was fortunate enough to have Swan Districts to help him out and they were very good to him and us. Colin probably doesn't have many friends at Peel (just a guess). Does he get banished and told to buy in or walk out?

Sorry for the intrusion but, unfortunately, that's our Col!

It would be really good to see him finally get himself together and be the player that many of us suspect he has the talent to be. He just can't seem to ever pull it together without something going wrong. Under the relatively dysfunctional Melbourne environment we were never able to get the best out of him. I felt, when he moved over to you guys at the end of last season, that it would be the perfect environment for him to get his sh*t together. Ross Lyon would be the sort of coach to extract the best from him if Colin really wants to apply himself.

People talk about reality checks, and Colin needing to recognize his football mortality. Unfortunately he's had a number of reality checks in the past and things never seem to have sunk in except for perhaps a fleeting moment. Time is running out, and I would suggest that this is probably the last reality check he'll be permitted if he wants to experience success in his AFL career.

You'd think the leadership group would sit him down and talk to him.
Heard from a former player (who, as far as I'm aware, has nothing to do with the club anymore, so grain of salt etc) that this already happened a while ago.
The club certainly haven't been pleased with him.

I wasn't aware of his history till I read this thread. Sounds like he really is a dickhead. Well, he is our dickhead now, for better or worse.

I am starting to respect how freo has been handling him. He didn't get any special treatment obviously, and I don't think the coach are being especially harsh towards him. He is made to earn his spot, like the others.

When (if?) he does earn his spot, I'm sure he truly deserved it, just like what josh Simpson demonstrated this week, and will be a great addition to the team.

I'm sure Fremantle and Peels will give him all their support and provide his with everything necessary for him to succeed. He just need to realized what is required of him and to go out and just do it.

When (if?) he does earn his spot, I'm sure he truly deserved it, just like what josh Simpson demonstrated this week, and will be a great addition to the team.

I'm sure Fremantle and Peels will give him all their support and provide his with everything necessary for him to succeed. He just need to realized what is required of him and to go out and just do it.
When I heard the language the players like Spurr were using to talk about Josh, I thought there was a bit of double-speak in there, for Sylvia's sake. Here's the text from this article changed from Josh to Colin:
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-04-14/simpson-earned-not-given-game-says-lyon

Leadership group member Lee Spurr echoed his coach’s comments about Sylvia, adding he had impressed all at the club with his turnaround after some issues in his first [pre]season.

“Colin had a long summer, he came back and he decided to buy in,” Spurr said.

“He trained hard and he’s been performing at Peel week in, week out and playing his role and executing.

“He’s been doing all the little things right, and that’s what matters.”

Heard from a former player (who, as far as I'm aware, has nothing to do with the club anymore, so grain of salt etc) that this already happened a while ago.
The club certainly haven't been pleased with him.
Very interesting, considering he turned up to pre season out of shape, I'm not surprised. If you don't mind me asking, who was the former player that said this? My guess is Hasleby.

Very interesting, considering he turned up to pre season out of shape, I'm not surprised. If you don't mind me asking, who was the former player that said this? My guess is Hasleby.
Negative, but similar profile

I'd say the earliest we would see him is probably after the bye. He'll miss Rd 5 and Rd 6, then penance at Peel in Rd 7 - 9. Then Rd 10 is a bye for Freo and Peel.

If he trains well and dominates Rd 7-8, could maybe bring him in for the Geelong game, especially if Barlow is still out ... as that is the sort of opposition we'd need someone of his ability in the midfield. But after the bye is more likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am starting to respect how freo has been handling him. He didn't get any special treatment obviously, and I don't think the coach are being especially harsh towards him. He is made to earn his spot, like the others.

Simpson must have felt 10 foot tall knowing he'd made it into the team before a player of Sylvia's standing and experience. I feel a frisson of delight every time I think about that. RTB drives a hard line but it delivers the sweetest joy to any player who struggles to see the light then gets it.

Simpson must have felt 10 foot tall knowing he'd made it into the team before a player of Sylvia's standing and experience. I feel a frisson of delight every time I think about that. RTB drives a hard line but it delivers the sweetest joy to any player who struggles to see the light then gets it.

If I remember correctly it was Simpson who actually gave Sylvia a rocket at training for a piss poor attitude.

Is that true salim malik ?

Haha, sinpson giving Silvia a rocket.
It'd be a shame if he never got a game but its not the end of the world.
Gives a really good message to the rest of the team. Worth the money in 1 sense..
Still a shit bloke but.

Guys Walters, Simpson, C Pearce and a number of other players have training\commitment issues. Unfortunately Sylvia was drafted by Melbourne and he thought just turning up to training would get him a game. (It was at Melbourne)

He is now learning the hard way, but I think he will be a great player for us in the second half of the season.

Guys Walters, Simpson, C Pearce and a number of other players have training\commitment issues. Unfortunately Sylvia was drafted by Melbourne and he thought just turning up to training would get him a game. (It was at Melbourne)

He is now learning the hard way, but I think he will be a great player for us in the second half of the season.

had

Obviously Sylvia did something but there are anomalies.

Why did so many in the media - Karl Langdon, Justin Chadwick, John Townshend, Michael Thompson state as fact that Sylvia was offered 3 weeks (risking 4 on challenge) when Steve Hargrave clearly says that information is not released.

Where would they source that information from (apart from each other)?

Townshend also states in one of his two online articles in the West that Mahoney received a free kick from the incident.

That would likely mean an umpire saw it, but didn't lay a report.

and that: "Subiaco confirmed that Mahoney was concussed in the incident and not able to drive his car home from Mandurah."

Clearly this concussion confirmation is not the case as Subiaco didn't have a qualified doctor at the ground.

Townsend again: "The Subiaco on-baller was also charged after the match but yesterday accepted a reprimand for rough conduct on Toby Gianatti in the second quarter."

One would assume here that he hasn't been charged when he's thought to be suffering concussion.

But the guy has history - he belts women

As far as I'm aware he was never convicted for that. I'm not saying he didn't do it, but his girlfriend didn't leave him or testify against him (I realise this wouldn't be unusual even if he did) I just don't think it's fair to give someone that label without a conviction or decent evidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Dockers shock as Sylvia faces month-long ban

Remove this Banner Ad

Back