Opinion Dogs and Horses - The Racing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of those small field WFA races, but all quality runners, were absolute classics.
We don’t seem to have many now.

That two horse race Big Philou v Rain Lover “match” race in 1970 lacked nothing for excitement.

The commentary at the end was gold🤣

Le Filou, the sire, was very influential in the staying ranks. Unsurprising when he goes back to Spicebox on the dam line. Some very serious staying blood continues to this day from those roots.

Actually blue hens are a bit of a passion of mine. She's one. I'm also very fond of Eulogy. She can be found in Dundeel, Bonecrusher and Vo Rogue, to name a few. Selene is another I like. Simon's Shoes and Almahmoud. Incredibly influential mares.

There will be more recent ones that history will ultimately applaud. The trick is to recognise them before anyone else does. You need time though. And an excellent crystal ball.

Last edited:
On to Saturday. The Toorak! It looks the most interesting race of the Grp 1s. How is this going to play out? The weights have compressed so the light weights don't have the advantage they might have expected. Pericles has bailed to Sydney with the draw. Another Wil, Antonio and Desert Lighting are the winners with the weight compression, every other likely contender is on the wrong end of it.

Another Wil has drawn 1 which probably isn't ideal for him and desert lightning the car park which doesn't suit him. Antino 8 which isn't one or the other. If Will doesn't jump from 1 he could be in a world of trouble trapped several back on the fence with horses coming back on him when he needs to go. Maher seemed very happy with him and he has undeniable top end talent.

Desert Lightning has to jump and cross to sit 1 back the trail on the fence or one out but he's going to burn petrol do it and he carries top weight. Antino I'm uncertain where he possies up but he's a good horse that's been running well against the best. Orchestral has unbelievable talent. She'll be slow away but it's very hard to line up how she's travelling this prep. Roger seems upbeat though. Wasn't great in spring last season but near unbeatable through summer and autumn.

The first 400m could decide this race.

On to Saturday. The Toorak! It looks the most interesting race of the Grp 1s. How is this going to play out? The weights have compressed so the light weights don't have the advantage they might have expected. Pericles has bailed to Sydney with the draw. Another Wil, Antonio and Desert Lighting are the winners with the weight compression, every other likely contender is on the wrong end of it.

Another Wil has drawn 1 which probably isn't ideal for him and desert lightning the car park which doesn't suit him. Antino 8 which isn't one or the other. If Will doesn't jump from 1 he could be in a world of trouble trapped several back on the fence with horses coming back on him when he needs to go. Maher seemed very happy with him and he has undeniable top end talent.

Desert Lightning has to jump and cross to sit 1 back the trail on the fence or one out but he's going to burn petrol do it and he carries top weight. Antino I'm uncertain where he possies up but he's a good horse that's been running well against the best. Orchestral has unbelievable talent. She'll be slow away but it's very hard to line up how she's travelling this prep. Roger seems upbeat though. Wasn't great in spring last season but near unbeatable through summer and autumn.

The first 400m could decide this race.
First silly bet of the season

Toorak Trifecta

Another Wil
Craig
Jimmy the Bear

One for the lads

My first visit to Flemington was Derby Day 1990 (I think). Had always watched the big races at HQ and MV from across the ditch but hadn't been. Hayes had a day out. There were some good horses running around that day.

Actually the Jenni Brightside rivalry reminds me a little of the Super Impose, Sydeston and Better Loosen Up clashes. Good horses going toe to toe on a regular basis.
David Hayes certainly had a day out on Derby Day 1990. In his first year of training after his father retired,he won with Raise a Rhythm, Wrap Around,the Wakeful with Beachside, the MacKinnon with Better loosen Up, the Salinger with Planet Ruler and the Dalgety with Mount Olympus. 2 Group 1’s, 3 Group 2’s and a Group 3. He won 6 out of the 8 races and didn’t have runners in the other two races. Not a bad effort.

David Hayes certainly had a day out on Derby Day 1990. In his first year of training after his father retired,he won with Raise a Rhythm, Wrap Around,the Wakeful with Beachside, the MacKinnon with Better loosen Up, the Salinger with Planet Ruler and the Dalgety with Mount Olympus. 2 Group 1’s, 3 Group 2’s and a Group 3. He won 6 out of the 8 races and didn’t have runners in the other two races. Not a bad effort.
It was unbelievable really. Was very happy to see Better Loosen Up. Saw him at Rosehill one day too. Super horse.

First silly bet of the season

Toorak Trifecta

Another Wil
Craig
Jimmy the Bear

One for the lads
Jimmy and Craig add a bit of value there. Craig one of those disadvantaged by the reweighting with Jenni's nom.

Essentially penalised 2.5kgs for running 2nd to Desert Lightning and DL gets a 2.5kg weight relief for winning. If Jenni hadn't nominated, DL would have had 58 and Craig 52kgs and that wouldn't have changed (6kg diff in Craigs favour having had a 5.5 kg adv when he ran 2nd to him). Reweight and DL gets 57 (2kg less than when he beat Craig) and Craig rises to 53.5kg for a net 3.5kg relief to Craig. Is it enough.

It may not pan out this way but a bit of context for Desert Lightning. Last season 4th up in the Karaka (essentially a Group 1) he drew a wide gate, got to one back on the fence in a fast run race and won by 2 lengths beating an Australian guineas winner. He ran 132.5 for the mile carrying 57.5kg! That's blistering. Orchestral ridden by jmac over the same distance on the same track on the same day won in 133.3 carrying 2kg less. Won easily though. She's a rising superstar.
DL for mine is flying under the radar. I'm declaring him my e/w bet of the day.

The race is closer to a SW&P than a handicap now.

Should be an absolute belter though. Another Wil and Orchestral are rising champs. Antino?

Last edited:
Jimmy and Craig add a bit of value there. Craig one of those disadvantaged by the reweighting with Jenni's nom.

Essentially penalised 2.5kgs for running 2nd to Desert Lightning and DL gets a 2.5kg weight relief for winning. If Jenni hadn't nominated, DL would have had 58 and Craig 52kgs and that wouldn't have changed (6kg diff in Craigs favour having had a 5.5 kg adv when he ran 2nd to him). Reweight and DL gets 57 (2kg less than when he beat Craig) and Craig rises to 53.5kg for a net 3.5kg relief to Craig. Is it enough.

It may not pan out this way but a bit of context for Desert Lightning. Last season 4th up in the Karaka (essentially a Group 1) he drew a wide gate, got to one back on the fence in a fast run race and won by 2 lengths beating an Australian guineas winner. He ran 132.5 for the mile carrying 57.5kg! That's blistering. Orchestral ridden by jmac over the same distance on the same track on the same day won in 133.3 carrying 2kg less. Won easily though. She's a rising superstar.

Should be an absolute belter though. Another Wil and Orchestral are rising champs. Antino?
I just picked it cos they all have boys names….

Stewards were VERY interested in Jenni’s nom !!

Do you like the nags Mutt? Anything you fancy tomorrow?
No, I don't follow the nags NW, but I'm enjoying the discussion here. You don't have to be an expert on horseracing to enjoy this thread. Kudos to you all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stewards were VERY interested in Jenni’s nom !!
Weren't they! I can understand Mahers reasons and to be fair I take them at face value. Plausible and I do enjoy plausible. The weight compression that favoured his other runner and disadvantaged the light weights was collateral benefit/damage depending on the weight you'd ultimately receive if Jenni wasn't nominated.

Loving this thread, been a keen follower of the horses for decades.

Hard to isolate highlights but of the Cox Plates I've been on course for 1992 was something else, (backed Super Impose at 20/1 admittedly) but such a great field and so much drama. Felt like the grandstand was genuinely rocking that day.

Was also there when Dandy Andy rolled Vo Rogue at 100/1 in an Australian Cup (certainly wasn't on him though).

For what it's worth, my bets today at Caulfield are going to be Jimmysstar, Dashing Duchess, Mornington Glory and Another Wil. At Rosehill I like Gringotts and at Murray Bridge I like Fancify and Favoured Son.

Good luck to all.

First starter alert - Hamilton race 1 number 4 Isotropic today…..well worth a shilling or two!
Although I won't be betting, the first starter that fascinates me today is Keepsake, Caulfield Race 2.

Unusual for the McEvoys to throw a filly up against good quality raced horses in a $150k metro race for its debut.

A Snitzel filly owned by Arrowfield, won its last trial by 6 lengths in very fast time (1000 in 57.7).

Could be an exciting horse.

I've got a few of value(ish) e/ws I like.

Lady Jones in R4 at Caufield. I Am Velvet in R2. Bellatrix Star in R9. Desert Lightning in R10.

Gatsby's in R5 at Rosehill and Snack Bar in R6.

Loving this thread, been a keen follower of the horses for decades.

Hard to isolate highlights but of the Cox Plates I've been on course for 1992 was something else, (backed Super Impose at 20/1 admittedly) but such a great field and so much drama. Felt like the grandstand was genuinely rocking that day.

Was also there when Dandy Andy rolled Vo Rogue at 100/1 in an Australian Cup (certainly wasn't on him though).

For what it's worth, my bets today at Caulfield are going to be Jimmysstar, Dashing Duchess, Mornington Glory and Another Wil. At Rosehill I like Gringotts and at Murray Bridge I like Fancify and Favoured Son.

Good luck to all.
What a horse Vo Rogue was.

One of the races I would have like to have seen was the Bonecrusher At Talaq stoush in the Australian Cup. Bonecrusher was the very embodiment of a horse who knew where the line was. Beaten before the post and after the post ... but on the post. That was some duel.

Bonecrusher was the one that got away.

Saw him run 2nd as an early 3yold at Ellerslie and went round to the stables after to see him. The person I was with wanted to buy him for a client who was looking for a derby horse and they agreed on a price.

The client knocked him back on his breeding and said not interested. That was a mistake!

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Dogs and Horses - The Racing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back