Opinion Dogs and Horses - The Racing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Cox is really really hard.
But seriously, it’s like trying to pick your favourite child.
Loyalty says I have to stay with my girl’s big brother, Mr B.
No wait Pride of Jenni, or maybe Prognosis, but Broadsiding could win, or Via Sistina seeing she got a very good look at the Valley on Tuesday.
OR, I have no idea.

You could buy one tonight. You would just have to pick up your membership at the gate tomorrow. Same thing happened to me last year at cox plate.
We ended up getting tickets in the Burton Grandstand, also we have connections to Mr Brightside so got into the owners section for a few beers with their passes.

Reckon yesterday was one of my most depressing days on the punt. I have pretty set limits so I don’t go broke and usually don’t go above $20 a race as I’m absolutely not made of money.

I had 21 bets , 14 bets for win - 2 wins - 11 2nds - 1 no place.

7 place bets - 5 fourths .

It was comically terrible. Yet with a coin toss would have had a health profit. I could have told you Mr B was finishing 4th at the jump as I had $10 each way on it. And of course it was 4th.

J Mac’s ride on Via Sistina might be one of the best I’ve ever seen in a Cox Plate. I didn’t have it in my placings after he got thrown and it did nearly 5km on Thursday. Unreal.

We ended up getting tickets in the Burton Grandstand, also we have connections to Mr Brightside so got into the owners section for a few beers with their passes.

Reckon yesterday was one of my most depressing days on the punt. I have pretty set limits so I don’t go broke and usually don’t go above $20 a race as I’m absolutely not made of money.

It was comically terrible. Yet with a coin toss would have had a health profit. I could have told you Mr B was finishing 4th at the jump as I had $10 each way on it. And of course it was 4th.

J Mac’s ride on Via Sistina might be one of the best I’ve ever seen in a Cox Plate. I didn’t have it in my placings after he got thrown and it did nearly 5km on Thursday. Unreal.
Oh and my Quaddie was killed by Via Sistina too, only losing leg. Thought it was done after that bolt, Chris Waller probably planned it all along haha

Back them for the win they’ll run 2nd.
Back them for the place they’ll run 4th.
Leave a horse out of a slot in a first 4 chasing a better %, even though you have it in other positions, it’ll finish in the position you don’t want.
If you’re lucky enough to snag the Quaddie it’ll be your worst result (Lady Jones yesterday).
Leave a horse you selected out of a Quaddie chasing a better %, it’ll get up (Morryl Moral on Friday night).
Leave a Maher, Waller, Hayes horse out of your quaddies at your peril.
Your horse being reshod at the barrier before the race, throw your ticket away.
Remember AFTER the race that greys love the wet.
Terry Bailey will call the wrong name is a given.
These are unwritten laws, with more to come I’m guessing 😁

Back them for the win they’ll run 2nd.
Back them for the place they’ll run 4th.
Leave a horse out of a slot in a first 4 chasing a better %, even though you have it in other positions, it’ll finish in the position you don’t want.
If you’re lucky enough to snag the Quaddie it’ll be your worst result (Lady Jones yesterday).
Leave a horse you selected out of a Quaddie chasing a better %, it’ll get up (Morryl Moral on Friday night).
Leave a Maher, Waller, Hayes horse out of your quaddies at your peril.
Your horse being reshod at the barrier before the race, throw your ticket away.
Remember AFTER the race that greys love the wet.
Terry Bailey will call the wrong name is a given.
These are unwritten laws, with more to come I’m guessing 😁
I had Morryl Moral…and 4 in the next leg….just not the winner.

Happens all the time

How many times I’ve run 1,2,4 or 2,3,4….missed the First 4 on the Cup a few years ago because the Chosen One lipped out my selection on the line for 4th

Don’t forget the age old “don’t back any horse photographed with a model on the front page of the paper” - it’s a curse

Jenni suffered that fate yesterday

I had Morryl Moral…and 4 in the next leg….just not the winner.

Happens all the time

How many times I’ve run 1,2,4 or 2,3,4….missed the First 4 on the Cup a few years ago because the Chosen One lipped out my selection on the line for 4th

Don’t forget the age old “don’t back any horse photographed with a model on the front page of the paper” - it’s a curse

Jenni suffered that fate yesterday

It will also be unders because the once a year punters saw it in the paper.
I think Maher (or more likely Ottobre) might have been Jenni’s problem, they asked too much of her.
Same as footballers having “the article” written about them, they’re sure to have a mare.

I’m pretty happy with my pre post Maher bets….Okito Soushi has already paid me back in spades and I’m on in the Cup at 80/1….even if she doesn’t get there, I’ve already recouped on her.

Ironically the horse I had in the cup that got rolled was a Maher horse

Leave them out at your peril 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one that upset me was in the last. Had backed Lady Jones its last start and might even have spruiked it here. Jumped off yesterday ... it won of course ... at 14s ... 🤬

It will also be unders because the once a year punters saw it in the paper.
I think Maher (or more likely Ottobre) might have been Jenni’s problem, they asked too much of her.
Same as footballers having “the article” written about them, they’re sure to have a mare.
Maher gets a pass from me on this one. Tried all he could to run her Caufield and not go to Sydney but the owner said no I want to have my cake and to eat it too. I wanted her to win yesterday against all odds and if the owner had a clue he'd realise he set her up to fail and maybe should have listened to the trainer. Maybe he realises that today. Too late for the horse though. The jockey did what he could to look after her but she's done for this prep and maybe longer.

Remember Shamrocker. Won the Australian guineas then went up to Sydney and ran 2nd in the Rosehill Guineas and then won the AJC Derby. Unquestionably the best 3yr old of its year .... a filly winning the guineas and then Derby. So what did they do ... they backed it up in the AJC Oaks a week later on a Heavy 10 and it ran a gut busting and gallant 2nd to a mudlark. It never won another race. It shouldn't have run in that race! It didn't need to run .. it'd just won the Derby ffs. They farked it. The Jenni to Sydney and back again ranks right up there with that greedy brain dead decision imo.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Dogs and Horses - The Racing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back