Opinion Dogs and Horses - The Racing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the way I bet Harold. I'm that stupid all up multi guy who selects 6 horses, finds 5 winners and a second (or a 4th if I've had it for a place):rolleyes: and doesn't collect on anything.
That can’t be you….thats me….multi up 6 horses at big odds for a collect of $234567 and go out in the first leg

That can’t be you….thats me….multi up 6 horses at big odds for a collect of $234567 and go out in the first leg
I love that about multis though. I had 4 green ticks and things were looking pretty exciting. 5th leg 4th so of course the 6th won. My payout was gonna be around the 30k mark so obviously a little disappointed but there's always next Saturday.

I'll keep doing it. I'll never change. It's 5 bucks here and there and it's a puzzle that's difficult to solve. I solved it once on a 4 leg multi with a 30 to 1 shot in the second leg. Good times

Last edited:
But isn’t the purpose of going to the races being able to watch the races ?
It used to be….its why I stopped going in the very early 00s.

Trying. To watch the races from the steps at Flemington with young dickheads pushing their way through, not even interested in the races. Topping it off, was the $85 to get in the gate To be crammed in with 120k others.

Debacle

Now the ****heads don’t even wear socks

Do you work at the yearling sales seaweed ?
You blokes are definitely the unsung heroes of the sport 👍👍👍
I think seaweed is the lone female ranger here.

Don’t we just have a 5 leg multi then. You did all that work, imagine if those 5 won and you weren’t on. Then you have a 4 leg multi or try to find something else to put in.
And so on down the line 🤪

How about we all put our biggest miss…

While I’ve missed a few decent quaddies over the journey, none were as triggering as this one.

I was on holidays from work as a young bloke in the middle of winter and it was before the days of punting on your phone or the internet. I headed down to the Tabba for a Wednesday Sandown meeting.

Perusing the big white sheets on the wall, I saw the first leg was a first start maiden.

Cutting to the chase, I had 6 in the first leg, including a filly of Danny Obriens called Leone Chiara (she became notorious), 3 in the second leg, 2 in the third including Mick Prices Evil Master and I took the raging $2 fave in the last Tru Glo, I think from the Freedman yard wearing the red, purple sash silks.

There was no flexi betting in those days so I invested my $18 for 50%

I headed home and completely forgot about my bet. The day rolled on and at some point, I realised the quaddie was running. By this stage, two legs had run, and the third was about to go.

I checked the results and just about fell down dead…Leonie had got up at $45, the second leg saluted at $18 and I had two bets in the third, the fav and Evil. Evil bolted in at $10….so here I was with a live 50% quaddie ticket going into the last leg with the hot pot one out. Danny Lickadick on board, it was in to $1.80. The approximates were saying $78k for the full unit.

I was sweating bullets….couldn't sit still….for the whole 40 mins between races

The race ran and Tru GLO hit the front 200m out and was travelling….

100m out still in front

At the post Daren ****ing Gauchi, the quaddie killer, down the outside, nosed me out on a $10 pop.

Quaddie paid $150k

And somehow I kept punting

**** YOU GAUCHI!

(I have another Gauchi story, it I’ll save it til I hear some of yours)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the most well known fractious equine you've loaded? Any fave jockeys? There must be a few chatty ones.
Fraar was bad, Miss Penny Money and Here de Angels were rogues. Fortunately, these days there are fewer problem horses due to the improved protocols in place before a horse starts; barrier certificates etc.
As for jockeys, Craig Williams wins on both counts. The most generous person I have ever met, and as you would be well aware of, can talk the leg off a chair.

Mmmmm ... for the enthusiast yes but people go for many reasons. Some of them go to get p1ssed in marquees and will pay handsomely for the privilege.
Most of the people in the marquees next week will be lucky to see a race live. The horses are secondary to their social occasion.

It used to be….its why I stopped going in the very early 00s.

Trying. To watch the races from the steps at Flemington with young dickheads pushing their way through, not even interested in the races. Topping it off, was the $85 to get in the gate To be crammed in with 120k others.

Debacle

Now the ****heads don’t even wear socks
This made me laugh 🤣 . WTF is that? Trousers that are too short and no socks. Right up there with anilingus as indicator of social decline.

Fraar was bad, Miss Penny Money and Here de Angels were rogues. Fortunately, these days there are fewer problem horses due to the improved protocols in place before a horse starts; barrier certificates etc.
As for jockeys, Craig Williams wins on both counts. The most generous person I have ever met, and as you would be well aware of, can talk the leg off a chair.
Here de Angels is one I saw a few times and he had quite the knack for delaying the start🤣. He looked like very hard work. Was also at the valley for Chataqua's last start. The groan was audible when he stood there. He really took that scratching at the barriers personally and seemed intent on saying FU to the vet at every opportunity thereafter.

Willow is a true professional. He cops plenty but among the best no doubt. He's on fire this season. Leg off a chair, dog off a meat wagon ... never short of a word.

Really interesting stuff Bloom 👍
My mates got a barrier rogue currently with an embargo.
Trouble is , it has too much ability to sack !
By Zoostar. They paid a fair bit for it.

Craig Williams as you say can talk, but what a great guy. Unbelievable how he can remember names !

Oliver , pretty confident sort of guy , bit of arrogance (but well earned )
I had the job of relaying a message from the trainer to him pre race in the mounting yard once.
As I started my spiel, he interrupted with “ I have been doing this for a while, I think I know what I’m doing “
Yep was hard to argue against 🤣

Love Craig Hewitt , funny humble character. Would be a great bloke to have a beer with 👍

How about we all put our biggest miss…

While I’ve missed a few decent quaddies over the journey, none were as triggering as this one.

I was on holidays from work as a young bloke in the middle of winter and it was before the days of punting on your phone or the internet. I headed down to the Tabba for a Wednesday Sandown meeting.

Perusing the big white sheets on the wall, I saw the first leg was a first start maiden.

Cutting to the chase, I had 6 in the first leg, including a filly of Danny Obriens called Leone Chiara (she became notorious), 3 in the second leg, 2 in the third including Mick Prices Evil Master and I took the raging $2 fave in the last Tru Glo, I think from the Freedman yard wearing the red, purple sash silks.

There was no flexi betting in those days so I invested my $18 for 50%

I headed home and completely forgot about my bet. The day rolled on and at some point, I realised the quaddie was running. By this stage, two legs had run, and the third was about to go.

I checked the results and just about fell down dead…Leonie had got up at $45, the second leg saluted at $18 and I had two bets in the third, the fav and Evil. Evil bolted in at $10….so here I was with a live 50% quaddie ticket going into the last leg with the hot pot one out. Danny Lickadick on board, it was in to $1.80. The approximates were saying $78k for the full unit.

I was sweating bullets….couldn't sit still….for the whole 40 mins between races

The race ran and Tru GLO hit the front 200m out and was travelling….

100m out still in front

At the post Daren ****ing Gauchi, the quaddie killer, down the outside, nosed me out on a $10 pop.

Quaddie paid $150k

And somehow I kept punting

**** YOU GAUCHI!

(I have another Gauchi story, it I’ll save it til I hear some of yours)
I have one from last year year that still haunts me. Like Harold, I've got my rules that I don't break and betting in Qld is right at the top of the list. But ......

I placed a $1 20 horse all up across 3 states and 3 counties (I took it twice so i could cash one out if it looked promising). Australia (vic metro, sydney metro and qld country (wtf was I thinking), NZ and one in France (the last leg in a Grp 1 over there).

The runner in France was running overnight after the rest had gone round in this hemisphere. With one leg to go I had 18 out of 19. Which one do you reckon farked me over. The odds on shot at the Sunshine Coast!. Drew the ace in a 1200m race and then proceeded to miss the start by 4 lengths. Some choice words were spoken. It was the 6th leg so all I could do was watch in despair as the rest of them walked it in. TBF it was a mixture of wins and places but all up it came to $135k for 20 green ticks (twice).

I finished on 18 because the odds on in France got beaten a lip ...... but ...... if that mongrel thing had jumped on the coast and won, I would have cashed one of those multis out for 60kish and let the other one run. But more sensibly, I should never bet on the Sunshine Coast. My multi would have been 19 horses and 65ish as opposed to 20 and 130ish but I'd have had 2 live with one to run and would have cashed one out for 30K and done the other one.

What a game!

Really interesting stuff Bloom 👍
My mates got a barrier rogue currently with an embargo.
Trouble is , it has too much ability to sack !
By Zoostar. They paid a fair bit for it.

Craig Williams as you say can talk, but what a great guy. Unbelievable how he can remember names !

Oliver , pretty confident sort of guy , bit of arrogance (but well earned )
I had the job of relaying a message from the trainer to him pre race in the mounting yard once.
As I started my spiel, he interrupted with “ I have been doing this for a while, I think I know what I’m doing “
Yep was hard to argue against 🤣

Love Craig Hewitt , funny humble character. Would be a great bloke to have a beer with 👍
Spot on KH. I can’t argue with your assessment on those three. As for your mate’s horse, Have a Crack? If so, I feel for the owners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Dogs and Horses - The Racing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back