Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a point that Gallucci's SANFL stats aren't as good as Wigg's this year.

But he's simply not banging the door down for a midfielder, and I'd much rather pull a Milera/McGovern and back in our high-end talent in an AFL system because their room for growth is far superior.

Wigg might elevate himself to Mitch Grigg level in the AFL. Do we really need to waste 20 AFL games on someone who is performing worse than Grigg was in the SANFL? Or should we back our highly talented young player and see how they perform instead?
Don't disagree with all that, but it's kind of my point. We should already have tested Wigg, and I can't blame the kid for having a gutful of it by now.

Don't disagree with all that, but it's kind of my point. We should already have tested Wigg, and I can't blame the kid for having a gutful of it by now.

Oh absolutely agree. Playing Van Berlo against Gold Coast last year was such an "Adelaide Crows decision" and Wigg should have played probably 2-3 games by now at least. The poor kid probably shit himself in the JLT trying to prove he is up to it as well.

Oh absolutely agree. Playing Van Berlo against Gold Coast last year was such an "Adelaide Crows decision" and Wigg should have played probably 2-3 games by now at least. The poor kid probably shit himself in the JLT trying to prove he is up to it as well.
Yep, it was his one and only shot, and he was nervous as hell.

Yep, it was his one and only shot, and he was nervous as hell.

He showed he had no problem getting his hands on the pill. Step 1 negotiated successfully. Step 2 improves with experience, but we'd prefer the continuity method and play Mackay who falls at both hurdles.

He showed he had no problem getting his hands on the pill. Step 1 negotiated successfully. Step 2 improves with experience, but we'd prefer the continuity method and play Mackay who falls at both hurdles.
I wonder if Greenwood plays finals this year, if we have a full squad of mids to choose from? He should, but he probably won't

I wonder if Greenwood plays finals this year, if we have a full squad of mids to choose from? He should, but he probably won't
Depend if we make them

Much the same as dropping Mackay due to form and then bringing him straight back without even playing a SANFL game.

It's typical Adelaide mentality where mediocrity is rewarded for senior players. It's all about the safe option, which is the road this club has traveled for well over a decade now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me of 2015 when we dropped Lever and Atkins instead of playing them both games.

You're underestimating just how successful the club has been by sticking with medicore senior players in the finals.

Why on earth would the club would take a risk and do something different?

Much the same as dropping Mackay due to form and then bringing him straight back without even playing a SANFL game.

It's typical Adelaide mentality where mediocrity is rewarded for senior players. It's all about the safe option, which is the road this club has traveled for well over a decade now.

Wigg is the only one putting it on the park in the twos our depth is looking very suspect

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jake Kelly should be our tagger. Has the defensive mindset, has mungrel, can be a pest and has endurance.
I agree that Kelly would be a good choice as a tagger. This is from "The Advertiser" May 2nd in which Pods praised Kelly:
" “He prepares ridiculously well,” Podsiadly said.
“It’s not just the last couple of weeks, the last four years he’s been building himself up to play AFL footy.
“With any player coming off the rookie list, and I was one of them, you’ve really got to put in the extra yards to develop your strengths and weaknesses.
“And Jake has been doing that religiously for four years.’’
One of Kelly’s greatest strengths, according to Podsiadly, is his running capacity.
“He’s one of our best runners - that’s his foundation - and it means he stays on the ground longer, gets to more contests and puts in more efforts,” he said."

Pre-game, the Crows needed some kind of plan to deal with JSelwood and Dangerfield who probably got 3 and 2 Brownlow votes on the night. Either throw Sloane onto Selwood, making Sloane's tagger redundant (as they did with Freo, Sloane on Fyfe, while Sloane's tagger ran around them with little impact) or stick Kelly on Dangerfield. Crows coaches did not try either option.
For anybody playing Geelong, wanna good chance to win? Tag Joel Selwood.

Wigg is the only one putting it on the park in the twos our depth is looking very suspect

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Case in point that Wigg should have been promoted over Mackay.

I wouldn't just say that it's only been Wigg, Beech has also been fairly consistent as well.

The next bit of pain is that we're a midfielder short so that we can play an extra useless immobile tall who looks great when it's us streaming forward under no pressure but is utterly worthless when we're in hack forward mode.

speaking of Midfielders, Lyons was everywhere for Gold Coast yesterday.

I agree that Kelly would be a good choice as a tagger. This is from "The Advertiser" May 2nd in which Pods praised Kelly:
" “He prepares ridiculously well,” Podsiadly said.
“It’s not just the last couple of weeks, the last four years he’s been building himself up to play AFL footy.
“With any player coming off the rookie list, and I was one of them, you’ve really got to put in the extra yards to develop your strengths and weaknesses.
“And Jake has been doing that religiously for four years.’’
One of Kelly’s greatest strengths, according to Podsiadly, is his running capacity.
“He’s one of our best runners - that’s his foundation - and it means he stays on the ground longer, gets to more contests and puts in more efforts,” he said."

Pre-game, the Crows needed some kind of plan to deal with JSelwood and Dangerfield who probably got 3 and 2 Brownlow votes on the night. Either throw Sloane onto Selwood, making Sloane's tagger redundant (as they did with Freo, Sloane on Fyfe, while Sloane's tagger ran around them with little impact) or stick Kelly on Dangerfield. Crows coaches did not try either option.
For anybody playing Geelong, wanna good chance to win? Tag Joel Selwood.
The blueprint has been there with teams that have beaten Geelong, God only knows why Pyke didn't try it. Kelly would be my choice and perfect time to do it as well with Cheney or Doedee to take Kellys spot.

He won't need it, he will be delisted and rightly so

If we're stupid enough to delist him, that's another blunder.

He's on a one year deal because he chose to be - he had lots of interest last year, but the club convinced him to stay (and he has strong personal reasons to be in Adelaide) with the expectation he'd get a fair crack this year.

Well I have seen him play (on TV) about 6-7 times this year, and it's the same situation every time. Gets the ball, kicks it (no laser boot) and then jogs around applying weak pressure.

Sure, he definitely should have played over Van Berlo last year. But if he wants to be an elite player, he shouldn't be dropping his head and giving up after he's snubbed once or twice. That's weak, loser, defeatist attitude. Based on that attitude alone I wouldn't be giving him a game, even if you don't look at the way he plays.

Let's be honest, at this stage, our SANFL side is a waste of time.

There is a point that Gallucci's SANFL stats aren't as good as Wigg's this year.

But he's simply not banging the door down for a midfielder, and I'd much rather pull a Milera/McGovern and back in our high-end talent in an AFL system because their room for growth is far superior.

Wigg might elevate himself to Mitch Grigg level in the AFL. Do we really need to waste 20 AFL games on someone who is performing worse than Grigg was in the SANFL? Or should we back our highly talented young player and see how they perform instead?

When Wigg was a gun HBF as a junior, why the **** are we trying to turn him into an inside mid?

If we're stupid enough to delist him, that's another blunder.

He's on a one year deal because he chose to be - he had lots of interest last year, but the club convinced him to stay (and he has strong personal reasons to be in Adelaide) with the expectation he'd get a fair crack this year.
He's a nothing footballer, that's why he will be delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back