Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know that I've seen such anger at a coach amongst the fan base since the death knell days of Craig. That's a massive shift in sentiment in a rather short time, but I think that's a result of just how obvious the changes were and how egregious it was to not make them.
Pyke is a good coach, he's not a Sando level disaster at all. But the current trend starts to say he has obvious flaws that will prevent him from becoming a great coach, one who may be at the level that he can lead us to a premiership. People throw out Neil Craig Mk II, and he was the same. A good coach, but one whose absolute refusal to change things up when something wasn't working cost him (and us) on several occasions. I can understand their POV that you can change too much, which makes it difficult for the players, but Pyke talks about the players needing to be flexible, well he needs to start listening to his own advice there I think. There's no magic Plan A that can and will defeat every side.

Geelong have said everything we threw at them they'd already planned for. They'd beaten us twice last year and we didn't do anything different until halfway through the 3rd quarter, by which time the game was already out of our reach.

Pyke is a good coach, he's not a Sando level disaster at all. But the current trend starts to say he has obvious flaws that will prevent him from becoming a great coach, one who may be at the level that he can lead us to a premiership. People throw out Neil Craig Mk II, and he was the same. A good coach, but one whose absolute refusal to change things up when something wasn't working cost him (and us) on several occasions. I can understand their POV that you can change too much, which makes it difficult for the players, but Pyke talks about the players needing to be flexible, well he needs to start listening to his own advice there I think. There's no magic Plan A that can and will defeat every side.

Geelong have said everything we threw at them they'd already planned for. They'd beaten us twice last year and we didn't do anything different until halfway through the 3rd quarter, by which time the game was already out of our reach.

When you get out coached by a Scott brother, that is pretty damning. Those two have less coaching ability combine than a top tier AFL coach on his own.

If you were a club that just sacked your coach, and you were looking for the new coach, would you pick a guy if you know that their ceiling was the achievement that Neil Craig reached?

When you get out coached by a Scott brother, that is pretty damning. Those two have less coaching ability combine than a top tier AFL coach on his own.
I will say, I don't know how the coaching box is run. If Pyke controls everything he wants which flows down as being instructed by the assistants, or if he gives them broad strokes and then they're tasked with accomplishing that however they want.

So if it's the case where each assistant has massive control over their part of the ground he absolutely needs to re-take control of certain things and/or demand that he's given better assistant coaches for next year.

If you were a club that just sacked your coach, and you were looking for the new coach, would you pick a guy if you know that their ceiling was the achievement that Neil Craig reached?
Obviously not, but they would have thought he did have a higher ceiling if they hired him I imagine.

He's also not done developing himself as a senior coach either. The question is if he's willing to mix it up a bit more and look at other ways of doing things, or stay completely rigid in his approach.

Otten didn't play 2016
Nope, but he is at the mime t. I think Lyons was faster than Otten.

We hace a lot of slow players at the moment

Sloane, Otten, Jacobs, M Crouch, Laird, Kelly, Atkins and if we bring Thommo in this week it doesn't get much better

If we lose another game to the same shit, people are going to get rabid.

Pyke really does have to show something (and beyond the walls of WestLakes) that he can change up things that are beyond what so far has been subtle at best. To date there is no apparent loss of favour/penalty for any unacceptable performances, both individual or team. Some hardness/line in sand stuff Don?

Tex said in his presser today "Put it this way, next time we play them I'm confident you'll see the difference"

Hopefully the players put their foot down and told Don to start tagging.

Maybe Gooch in this week to start learning the craft of tagging

Tex said in his presser today "Put it this way, next time we play them I'm confident you'll see the difference"

Hopefully the players put their foot down and made the coach do coaching things?

If that is the case Don needs to go.

Hopefully the players put their foot down and made the coach do coaching things?

If that is the case Don needs to go.
I'm sure those still around from the Craig years have seen what is happening and thought - we won't be letting this happen again

Kerridge could be a handy player right about now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not sure if this has been mentioned but he has defeated every club except for geelong and the bulldogs. with the bulldogs, we have only played once (remember troy pannell) and it was a close one at etihad where we were destroyed by the umpires. we also beat them in the elimination final the previous year so the dogs dont really count. it has only been geelong that given him real headaches where we have been kept to 3 our of lowest socres. our return game against geelong at home really is a line in the sand game where we have to make a statement. pykey is tracking fine atm.

If I was still making ridiculous mistakes 18 months into my job I'd be sacked.
Yeah because it's definitely the same thing.

Which is why players need to be at peak performance by around year 2 otherwise they're out the door.

Obviously.

Yeah because it's definitely the same thing.

Which is why players need to be at peak performance by around year 2 otherwise they're out the door.

Obviously.

Players aren't at peak performance because they're still learning their craft and having their bodies mature.

Pyke has been coaching for over a decade now?

Also it wasn't rocket science. The fans said what he had to do. The media said what he had to do. He did it in the 3rd quarter for a bit and it started working SO HE STOPPED DOING IT.

Players aren't at peak performance because they're still learning their craft and having their bodies mature.

Pyke has been coaching for over a decade now?

Also it wasn't rocket science. The fans said what he had to do. The media said what he had to do. He did it in the 3rd quarter for a bit and it started working SO HE STOPPED DOING IT.
Yep. Was a poor performance from him and the rest of the coaching team. No arguments there.

Understandably frustrating - but Pyke can get better. Will he? Who knows. He's 18 months into the gig, calling for his head is ridiculous.

Lazy blanket statements. Why is the time linked to the rejection of the view? Can you form no view on any coach within that period of time?

I really detest the idea that you can ever, as a football club, act without urgency. That you can grind your entire club into neutral in the middle of a premiership window whilst you wait to see whether your coach can develop to the extent that he's able or willing to make strategic adjustments that Joe Blow posted the week in advance on a free discussion forum. That you need to give him time to make calls.

In any event, its disingenuous. The proposition that was linked to a call for his sacking was if he's unwilling to make changes to the structure based upon need and event. That itself is a position so derelict that it would be irresponsible not to want to sack him for it.

You'd hope so, we play them again in a month and a bit don't we? The memories should still be very fresh in the mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back