Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely a side can't perform with so little passion, intent, hardness as our bunch of wimps and not have changes made. The Geelong game was the worst I have seen from a Crows' team for a long time. There was stuff all urgency out there. Most players had a nice run around and a hot shower and went to bed. We need players that are willing to crack in and have a red-hot go. In that game on Friday, not many did. If Pyke can't see what is blatantly obvious to people at the ground and watching on telly, then we are cactus in 2017 and beyond.
We have the talent. We lack the balls.

Stuctually we probably were not too bad.

We won the clearances and only lost the I50s by one.

Where we got smashed is the effort ie contested possies, disposal efficiency and Marks inside 50.

That to me suggests the players were not putting in the effort to make the game plan work.

As others have said our guys looked unmotivated and timid. Pyke has some responsibility but IMO that comes down to on field leadership.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Where we got smashed is the effort ie contested possies, disposal efficiency and Marks inside 50.

That to me suggests the players were not putting in the effort to make the game plan work.

As others have said our guys looked unmotivated and timid. Pyke has some responsibility but IMO that comes down to on field leadership.

Geoffa, when it happens consistently under intense pressure, it's not an event, it's a trend.

So as far as I can tell from Pyke's comments, he basically told the players this week to execute the fundamentals. That's it.

No changes to training. Not bothering to train said fundamentals. Not adjusting any aspect of the structure that has seen us lose to Geelong three times in the same way. No changes to personnel.

Everything, everyone, backed in.

Disgraceful.

Geoffa, when it happens consistently under intense pressure, it's not an event, it's a trend.
I agree.

But is it Pyke's fault or our on field leaders and players who can not play when other teams bring a physical and congested game.

Chicken and egg I guess.

But this has been a problem for longer than Pyke's reign. It is ingrained in our club.

And yes it could be argued this started with Craigy and Pyke was an assistant then.

I mean he said during the presser that fundamentals such as "sticking tackles" weren't executed on Friday night. Then a journo asked him whether they would train those fundamentals during the week. Pyke said "no".

facepalm.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So as far as I can tell from Pyke's comments, he basically told the players this week to execute the fundamentals. That's it.

No changes to training. Not bothering to train said fundamentals. Not adjusting any aspect of the structure that has seen us lose to Geelong three times in the same way. No changes to personnel.

Disgraceful.
It's Neil Craig all over again :(

Disgraceful.
It's fine to back your people in, and they do need to execute the fundamentals.
But the effort and execution are simply not good enough.
Just gotta hope that that is being said behind the scenes, and meanwhile a public front of calm is being put forward. If not, we'll lose Melbourne style this week.

I hope it is just a public front and that behind the scenes things are changing.

He came across in a very genuine way. Unfortunately. In fact he was pushed on several areas through repeat questions and only after a few tries would he reveal that everything is being backed in.

Do you think the quality of the clearances were the same?

Disgraceful.
If we go in against Geelong with the same plan then he needs to be tapped on the shoulder, learn and adjust or go the way of Sando.

Do you think the quality of the clearances were the same?
No. Which again is probably effort.

Structurally we were not too bad.

The issue as I see it adapting when the opposition blocks that structure. Whether it be physically or through congestion.

Yes that is coaching. But it is also a lack of in field awareness and want to change it.

If we go in against Geelong with the same plan then he needs to be tapped on the shoulder, learn and adjust or go the way of Sando.

He wont go the way of sando as long as we make top 8.

We are gutless. Our creed should be "close enough is good enough"

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back