Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No. Which again is probably effort.

Structurally we were not too bad.

The issue as I see it adapting when the opposition blocks that structure. Whether it be physically or through congestion.

Yes that is coaching. But it is also a lack of in field awareness and want to change it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Part effort part structure.

We allowed their mids too much space so they executed efficiently, whilst when we won the ball we were under huge pressure and hacked it forward. We had no seperation from them.

He even went so far as to reveal they knew what Geelong would bring, and on game day, Geelong brought exactly that, as they thought Geelong would.

But it's just the fundamentals we didn't execute. No need to be flexible on game day and adapt to getting beaten. Just the fundamentals.

Only 5 weeks ago we were lauded as unbeatable. Its taken one plan to stop us that the coaches with half a brain are copying and we've lost 3 from 5. Even Brisbane troubled us in the first quarter with the same plan.

Don that has to tell you something is wrong.

He doesnt have enopugh physical players available I mean who is going to promote some skinny kid that would be going further backwards our problem is we are light on and soft

He even went so far as to reveal they knew what Geelong would bring, and on game day, Geelong brought exactly that, as they thought Geelong would.

But it's just the fundamentals we didn't execute. No need to be flexible on game day and adapt to getting beaten. Just the fundamentals.

I can just picture pyke with all the players gathered in front if him "ok boys... be better" and the he walks away with campo whispering sweet nothings in his ear about how inspirational his speech was

Stuctually we probably were not too bad.

We won the clearances and only lost the I50s by one.

Where we got smashed is the effort ie contested possies, disposal efficiency and Marks inside 50.

That to me suggests the players were not putting in the effort to make the game plan work.

As others have said our guys looked unmotivated and timid. Pyke has some responsibility but IMO that comes down to on field leadership.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I can understand losing CP to a team like Geelong.... but to lose uncontested possessions also by 100ish that's just poor!

He doesnt have enopugh physical players available I mean who is going to promote some skinny kid that would be going further backwards our problem is we are light on and soft

Hang hang on! Time out! What about the organic growth?
He knew, we knew, everybody knew, that we needed some elite inside midfielder/s! What did we do at the trade table?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. He's not changing a thing.

"We have a plan, and we just need to execute better."
"We are tough enough to be leading CP stat."
"8-3 suggests we're good enough".
On replacing Brown "we have blokes who can play that role, like Mackay and Douglas..."

I hope this is all just public rhetoric, but we all know it's not.

That last sentence is the killer for me. If he seriously thinks that the best way to replace an injured Brown is to play Mackay in that role, then he's clueless and has settled into our existing culture seamlessly. But, as we know it's almost a certainty that this will happen as I posted in the selection thread as soon as I found out Brown was injured. A perfect opportunity for those idiots to re-deploy Mackay.

So as far as I can tell from Pyke's comments, he basically told the players this week to execute the fundamentals. That's it.

No changes to training. Not bothering to train said fundamentals. Not adjusting any aspect of the structure that has seen us lose to Geelong three times in the same way. No changes to personnel.

Everything, everyone, backed in.

Disgraceful.

It's not just Geelong, it's North Melbourne away and the bloody embarrassment of getting done by Melbourne at home. They're just a terrible coaching group and I'm sure that they're slapping themselves on the back for being 8-3. Job done.

Ohmigod a million times, This.

Yes, we should aim to get the fundamentals right as often as we can. Of course.

But FFS the other half of your entire job is getting the goddamn result on game day.

If the first part isn't feeding into the second part then YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING and not just lament after the fact, dang, we just didn't get the first bit right.

Only 5 weeks ago we were lauded as unbeatable. Its taken one plan to stop us that the coaches with half a brain are copying and we've lost 3 from 5. Even Brisbane troubled us in the first quarter with the same plan.

Don that has to tell you something is wrong.

As did Richmond, but they simply stopped getting numbers to the contest after quarter time. It was as obvious as shit from the television, there just wasn't anywhere near the same amount of black and yellow on the screen as there was in the first quarter.

Last edited:
Hang hang on! Time out! What about the organic growth?
He knew, we knew, everybody knew, that we needed some elite inside midfielder/s! What did we do at the trade table?

This lack of toughness has been coming for years, ever since they knew danger was leaving which we all know was two years before he actually left, as he would have been captain of the AFC otherwise

Some think Tex was made captain because he was a better suit, and still live in denial over that

We have known for the last 4 years about our soft underbelly it wasnt just from last years trade period

Now we're really down to the last refuge of this particular form of inflation of accomplishment. Melbourne and Richmond. And when they too pass us by I wonder then if we'll finally have to admit that a ladder position above clubs for however many years is utterly worthless without the silverware.

I was about to say "don't forget about Carlton" but then I remembered even they made the GF in '99. FM that's an indictment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back