Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Calm down people, I watched the whole interview and didn't like it either but I doubt he's being completely up front with it. It's called media spin. I'm confident that they are treating these losses very seriously and looking at ways to correct it. If indeed they are do you really think he's going to give all that away to the media? That's what Sando used to do and it infuriated me. Whether their new game plans will work against these tactics that sides are throwing at us we'll have to wait and see I guess but I'm not overly worried about that interview.
I hope you're right. But there was in the middle of that interview the clearest expression of Pyke's philosophy as you would get. It didn't look like spin, it looked like someone just getting a little arked at the repeated suggestions he needed to respond to the loss when he pointed to successful teams all around the world being 'consistent'. I think that is key for him. Consistency in personnel is why we've played very few players last year and this. Consistency of tactics is why we've played the same way against Geelong every time. He as good as said, 'I'm not going in with anything other than one game plan'. Very Neil Craig indeed.

I hope you're right. But there was in the middle of that interview the clearest expression of Pyke's philosophy as you would get. It didn't look like spin, it looked like someone just getting a little arked at the repeated suggestions he needed to respond to the loss when he pointed to successful teams all around the world being 'consistent'. I think that is key for him. Consistency in personnel is why we've played very few players last year and this. Consistency of tactics is why we've played the same way against Geelong every time. He as good as said, 'I'm not going in with anything other than one game plan'. Very Neil Craig indeed.
I don't want consistency. I want continuous improvement and innovation.

Kodak wanted to be consistent. Apple strived for innovation.

Guess which company produces the most photos.

I'll clarify what I meant in that post.
I'm not too concerned with that interview itself as I've observed Pykes interviews in the past and I believe that he cleverly keeps his cards close to his chest. However I will be gravely concerned if he doesn't start making personnel changes as well as positional changes to combat these tactics of other teams stopping our run. I'll go into this in more detail when I have time but one change I hope to see soon is Beech into the team. A mature body around the contests wouldn't go astray right now.

I'm not too concerned with that interview itself as I've observed Pykes interviews in the past and I believe that he cleverly keeps his cards close to his chest. However I will be gravely concerned if he doesn't start making personnel changes as well as positional changes to combat these tactics of other teams stopping our run. I'll go into this in more detail when I have time but one change I hope to see soon is Beech into the team. A mature body around the contests wouldn't go astray right now.

Jenkins made similar statements on 5aa, which leads me to the view that this has been the internal message as well.

Basically, we're pretty good at 8-3 and should just keep doing what we do. Our losses are aberrations. You can't say we're not hard at it because we lost this game etc.

I can just picture pyke with all the players gathered in front if him "ok boys... be better" and the he walks away with campo whispering sweet nothings in his ear about how inspirational his speech was
Remember all the fun we had last year when Ken Hinkleys big strategy was telling the boys to be more brave ...

The problem is I have too much ******* perspective.

I've got such a wide lens view of our shitful recent history and our endless repetition of humiliating collapse that it's all I can see flashing through my mind every time we win a meaningless game. The full perspective and knowledge that we're repeating the same damn cursed cycle.

We beat a woeful Brisbane and I'm sitting here rocking back and forth muttering 'man up on the loose defender Don. Don, the loose defender', 'Don't leave Massie on Franklin Don', 'the same team that failed in the past is unlikely to succeed in the exact same circumstances Don'.

You know who needs some ******* perspective? The bath water drinkers at the club who decided we'd won the premiership in ******* April and apparently want respect for our 8 wins (which include glorious victories over Brisbane) like that somehow matters if we can't get it done when the going is tough.

Brutal. But fair.

The problem is I have too much ******* perspective.

I've got such a wide lens view of our shitful recent history and our endless repetition of humiliating collapse that it's all I can see flashing through my mind every time we win a meaningless game. The full perspective and knowledge that we're repeating the same damn cursed cycle.

We beat a woeful Brisbane and I'm sitting here rocking back and forth muttering 'man up on the loose defender Don. Don, the loose defender', 'Don't leave Massie on Franklin Don', 'the same team that failed in the past is unlikely to succeed in the exact same circumstances Don'.

You know who needs some ******* perspective? The bath water drinkers at the club who decided we'd won the premiership in ******* April and apparently want respect for our 8 wins (which include glorious victories over Brisbane) like that somehow matters if we can't get it done when the going is tough.
Let's not forget in that Brisbane first quarter, Brisbane played "blueprint football" and we looked terrible.

Maybe a pointer as to why certain players continue to be picked. 18-20 touches is consistent. Along with playing a role makes Don satisfied. I think I have even made the statement ' Don knows what he will get from player x'

Roll Mackay of Douglas back?

Why do we act like these guys are Roo like guns who can move into any position?

Mackay is hopeless, Douglas is irrelevant.

We're bAck to the Reilly/VB shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.

That presser is insane - were ******.
Absolutely.

Out of the 2, certainly Douglas should go back. However, I'd be selecting Doedee for Brown but also shuffling Douglas back given the profile of their forward line, Smith could then go mid.

Why should Douglas go back?

He's irrelevant these days.

Let Kelly play Brown's role, and bring Wigg in.
Yep, was only if a choice between the 2 but also the realisation he wont be dropped.

Personally, I'd love to see Galluci come back in and Douglas out but yeah Wigg deserves his shot too.

Trust me I'm over the veterans getting games cos we cannot envisage a younger guy ever performing just as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, was only if a choice between the 2 but also the realisation he wont be dropped.

Personally, I'd love to see Galluci come back in and Douglas out but yeah Wigg deserves his shot too.

Trust me I'm over the veterans getting games cos we cannot envisage a younger guy ever performing just as well.
If Don doesn't change his career will not extend past 2018 so it's up to him.

Roo isnt stupid, he says what is wrong on MMM but he has to be diplomatic. However, he won't just sit back watching us make the same mistakes, even if we make the finals in the next 2 years, if we bomb out Don will be gone.

Then go throw a shit load at Clarkson.

So it's really up to you Don.

I dunno, going into the Geelong game we thought Don was playing his cards close to his chest. And guess what? Don threw everything Geelong expected at them, which was exactly the same as we did last time.

We keep saying his got something up his sleeve, but he's not exactly showing that at the moment.

If Don doesn't change his career will not extend past 2018 so it's up to him.

Roo isnt stupid, he says what is wrong on MMM but he has to be diplomatic. However, he won't just sit back watching us make the same mistakes, even if we make the finals in the next 2 years, if we bomb out Don will be gone.

Then go throw a shit load at Clarkson.

So it's really up to you Don.

Do you really think this is what will happen? Do you really think the Crows would fire a coach that made the finals?

I dunno, going into the Geelong game we thought Don was playing his cards close to his chest. And guess what? Don threw everything Geelong expected at them, which was exactly the same as we did last time.

We keep saying his got something up his sleeve, but he's not exactly showing that at the moment.

I wonder which side of this long con we're on?

Do you really think this is what will happen? Do you really think the Crows would fire a coach that made the finals?
Yeah I do.

If we bomb out in the finals 3 years running after he keeps sticking to his gameplan then I reckon they will. They will realise we have a decent enough side but time is ticking on Tex and co, I think they will bring in an experienced coach who can take us the next step.

Well shit. There are *so* many things I don't like about this.

That misplaced arrogance / smugness / defiance / borderline petulance is both aggravating and deeply concerning.

Campo was arrogant in his media last week - at the time, I thought it was mind games.

Silly me.

Yep, that was a genuine statement of his philosophy. Hated it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back