News DONE DEAL: Patrick Ryder traded to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had genuine concerns an hour and a half ago the crows we're going to come in with pick 10 on the table. For all we know they were probably going to, but Ryder was obviously so resolute in his desire to come to Port that no other club seriously entered the equation.
Dodo said that GWS tried but Paddy was determined to go to Port and nowhere else.

I dont care what anyone says...we bent them over on this deal...

I cant still hear the noise of rhodes victory....whack...whack..whack...whack...whack.
...whack....

Essendon your supporters are a f***ing disgrace wishing him injury....this even includes one of your mods.....

What a bunch of campaigners F*** em, they get what they deserve.

So happy that this deal has been done. Realistically, where our list is at right now, I'm not convinced that either 17 or 37 would've made a big difference to it. Our depth, though not great, is more than sufficient to cover a number of losses. The only place we really lack any depth is in the bigs department, and no 18 year old was going to be able to fix that. Ryder is going to add another dimension to this team, whilst his work rate means we're not going to lose anything in terms of run.

Welcome to Port Adelaide, Paddy #paddypower

It's not even as if they are blessed with ruckmen or Giles is some kind of a second-rater. He even took Lobbe and Jacobs to town this year.
Most of their games without Giles the hit-outs seem to be taken by Mumford with back-up from Boyd and Patton or other non-ruck types.

The only thing I can come up with is they were being nice to one of their players. He was always going to be traded. Given GWS have so many top 10 draft picks this year + the youth on their list, they were never going to use a pick past a mid 20's one. Essendon weren't going to give them 20 for Giles (even though I would argue he is worth that, but everyone underrates him), so it didn't matter whether it was pick 37, 53, or the eventual pick swap, it was going to be worth nothing to them anyway. Essendon huge winners out of that trade. They don't even lose anything because that will be the pick to upgrade Ambrose, so it doesn't matter whether it is 50 or 60. It still wont stop them from claiming the world is against them though.

Not happy with this deal at all. Port paid too much.

:thumbsdown:

Once you see Paddy Ryder in our colours making us a much better side you'll change your tune pretty quickly. We could've given them our first 10 picks and this would still be a great deal considering where our list is at right now.

Essendon recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro has spoken after today's deals involving Cooney, Giles and Ryder were finalised.
  • Confirmed there was a late offer from GWS for Ryder, but that he had already decided he was heading for the Power
  • "Really excited to get Adam [Cooney]."
  • Cooney chose the Bombers over another club (North Melbourne)
  • Very happy to get Giles too
  • Cooney passed his medical with "flying colours."
  • James Hird was a big factor in Cooney choosing the Dons
  • The club's indoor facilities and specifically the "sponginess of the floor" was also a big factor.
  • Dogs aren't paying any of Cooney's salary
  • Says "we still love Paddy"
  • Essendon wanted to avoid going to the AFL grievance tribunal even though they believed they would probably win

GWS were never going to get Paddy.

"Essendon still love paddy", shit I'd hate to see how they treat people they don't like.

They reckon they would have won the AFL Grievance Tribunal proof the club is as deluded as the fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have always thought the players shouldn't get two year bans. I've got sympathy for their situation, would have been hard to say no even if they thought it might be wrong. But they do need to get something. There needs to be some kind of suspension for all the players involved otherwise the equivalent of the dog ate my homework becomes a legitimate defence for doping from here on.
Or my coach gave me a cough lolly.

Once you see Paddy Ryder in our colours making us a much better side you'll change your tune pretty quickly. We could've given them our first 10 picks and this would still be a great deal considering where our list is at right now.
I hope you're right. Would have preferred to at least keep Pick 37 to bargain with GC for Gorringe. Just think we overpaid given Essendon's weak bargaining position.
Nah, as long as he isn't suspended for 2 years this is an absolute steal.
But that's a risk we are taking unnecessarily and should have been incorporated into his true value - i.e. Pick 17 and nothing more.

Happy to get Ryder, but it don't make it a great off season. Great off seasons see multiple good moves made. We have thrown all we had on one move.

This is brilliant, just added another quality top draft pick with 170 games experience with plenty of footy left. Good talls are so much harder to find, a terrific deal for us.

Lol at that Jade poster. Full mental breakdown on that thread haha. Straightjackets all round!! One of them had the gall to say it was fair and he deserved to get where he wanted after all the shot the club put him through...rounded upon very quickly!

Happy to get Ryder, but it don't make it a great off season. Great off seasons see multiple good moves made. We have thrown all we had on one move.
It is the move we had to make.

Fills 2 gaps with one player.

Great result for Port.

Not happy with this deal at all. Port paid too much.

:thumbsdown:
meh we were hoping to use newton as 2nd rounder level value, instead of using him we used the actual pick. It is a fair deal and we probably come out a little on top.

The key though is we need to find another backup ruck from somewhere.

Lol at that Jade poster. Full mental breakdown on that thread haha. Straightjackets all round!! One of them had the gall to say it was fair and he deserved to get where he wanted after all the shot the club put him through...rounded upon very quickly!

Yeah wow... Jade was actually one of the more reasonable ones, but he's gone thermonuclear.

It entirely depends on what your team requirements are and what you have to work with. Considering we'd have entered the draft so late and we weren't prepared to trade out players who didn't want to go this is a remarkable outcome. The family has stayed together and we've added another key member as our premiership window flings open.

Edit - Trading should also be judged over a number of years. Cripps and co would right now (this offseason) be already in meetings with other players for recruitment next trade period and the one after. You can only eat one meal at a time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back