News Done Deal - Savage +1st round pick for McEvoy - welcome to the Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Not overly phased at the loss of Savage, wish him well at the Saints; thought he was too inconsistent and would often go missing when it mattered. I have plenty of faith in Hallahan, Anderson, Woodward.

To be honest I wouldn't be too upset if we went for Longer as well, Hale is getting old, and he looks like he has the body of a 45yo to boot; Longer and Big Boy would leave our ruck division sorted for the next 6+ years in one fell swoop... If Lowden hasn't cracked a single game, even against an expansion team this far into his career, and isn't knocking down the door I'm starting to think he's not going to make it. As for Ceglar, ruck on the rookie list, easy come, easy go.

Back on topic. This is a very good trade for both clubs and has that feel good vibe about it as all parties seem to be happy. I am certain Sav will do very well at St Kilda and will be watching how he and the Saints progress over the next few years. I think they are on the right path given where they have found themselves. Getting McEvoy is a huge win for us. We could have been in real trouble without a 1st ruck replacement for big Max.

I don't think Longer is in the picture anymore and hope that we retain Lowden and can get a few senior games out of him next year. I think he is worth one more year to continue improving so we could find ourselves in a very strong ruck position by the end of next year.

I also feel that we still have one or two big trades and we could see ourselves becoming a very,very strong marking side next year.

I think we overpaid . . . Shane Savage is a good young running goalkicking midfielder, and Pick 17 is also a valuable commodity.

Having said that . . . what were the Saints thinking trading their only notable ruckman?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we overpaid . . . Shane Savage is a good young running goalkicking midfielder, and Pick 17 is also a valuable commodity.

Having said that . . . what were the Saints thinking trading their only notable ruckman?

They have Tom Hickey. Who they rate quite highly, higher than McEvoy it seems going by their board.

was also hoping Savage would get to a better club.

I think Savage is underreated, and the Saints could be one of the best spots for him - he could get 8 years there and finish around the time they have been in their next window for a couple of years.

Surprised people aren't happy with this, 2 hours ago we didn't have an AFL ruckman on our list, now we've got a better one than we've had for years coming into his prime. On top of that, he's a ripping country lad.

I think people were just conditioned to the idea that we would get a ruck replacement for a first round draft pick in the form of Longer and we would either get something else for Savage or he would stay on. To lose both of those in one swoop takes a bit to digest. No doubt McEvoy is a good player. He's a pretty good ruckman (at least the equal of Bailey) but more importantly he is a lot more flexible than Bailey who if we were honest was pretty useless once he had done his job at the tap outs. McEvoy is a genuine target up fwd as well as "drop back in the hole" defender. He could if the need was there play full fwd quite capably I would think. The real compromise here is the fact that Longer nominated Hawthorn as his club of preference and now looks like being told "no thanks" which is unfortunate. I can't see us spending 2 first rd draft picks on ruckmen and entering the draft late 2nd round.

Great pick up there!

Sad to see Savo go after he showed so much promise, but couldn't quite nail down that senior spot. But on the other hand McEvoy is a quality player and will fit in nicely.

Great recruiting!

And BT can get stuffed if he continues to use that pathetic 'big boy' call.

like a previous poster sort of mentioned...came out of the same draft as cyril:

1 Kruezer - overrated
2 Cotchin - superstar
3 Masten - only now becoming decent
4 Morton C - hack
5 Grant J - underachieved
6 Meyers - hack
7 Palmer R - can't believe he won the rising star over Cyril. hack
8 Henderson L - good player
9 McEvoy B - good player
10 Dangerfield P - superstar
11 Vezpremi - hack
12 Rioli C - superstar

welcome 'your always looking here and there'...and big good luck to sav at the saints...will get the game time he richly deserves.

Not a very good draft hey? So many duds in that top 10. Thank god we picked Cyril.

News Done Deal - Savage +1st round pick for McEvoy - welcome to the Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back