draft top 10 - who do they remind you of

Remove this Banner Ad

theorangeapple said:
franklin is far from a sure thing, wiseby said that and clubs no that. but he was the best available at 5.

lance has some parts of his game which be sorely exposed at AFL. admitedly he has some aspects that will be outstanding at afl. its his ability at improving on those deficiencies that will determine how good he is.
He has plenty of ability but there are still a few questions about his desire.
I think he was a good selection at 5.

tigers1au said:
Yeah I remember the interview, some reporter(not a scout) asked him about being compared to Tarrant and he said, 'no I'm nothing like Tarrent.' Fact is even comparing him to Ottens is being overly generous, he's more like a poor man's Troy Simmonds.

The only reason people will remember Troy Simmonds is for getting cleaned up by Michael Long in the 2000 GF![/B]

OneEyedHawk said:
I guess you didn't need Roughead with all your wealth of Key Position Players at the Bulldogs.
Keep deflecting from the real issue if you want to but height over class generally doesn't work. BTW, did you actually see Roughead play or is the fact that he's 193cm enough for you ?

OldSchool said:
Keep deflecting from the real issue if you want to but height over class generally doesn't work. BTW, did you actually see Roughead play or is the fact that he's 193cm enough for you ?
What's enough for me is that everybody considered him to be the best KPP option in the draft and we desperately needed talls. As you do.

why is everyone having a go at the hawks draft picks, especially richmond fans. Franklin is an awesome prospect, as are all of the top 5 picks, but Franklin is my favourite at hawks over Roughead at this stage. His athletic ability has been well documented, and from the hawks fans who've been down to training have seen, he has a booming left foot kick. poor man's Troy Simmonds? seriously.... come on. His comparisons to Tarrant are obvious. He's quick, takes a good mark on a lead, good left foot kick etc... similiar styles. I'm not saying he's anywhere near as good as Tarrant (hasn't played a game yet if no one had noticed) but its a comparison that can be made.

I believe the reason bulldogs and tiger fans in general are bagging roughead and franklin in this thread is that they are hoping that they don't turn out to be great players as they have both missed out on key position players.

OneEyedHawk said:
What's enough for me is that everybody considered him to be the best KPP option in the draft and we desperately needed talls. As you do.
Didn't think you'd actually seen him play and that's why you cant discuss anything other than the fact that you needed talls.
BTW, Have a look at the Doggies list, there are a number of KPP on it and it's one of the tallest in the comp. There might be a question about the quality of the talls but they are tall and that's what really counts doesn't it ? ;)

cschreuder61 said:
I believe the reason bulldogs and tiger fans in general are bagging roughead and franklin in this thread is that they are hoping that they don't turn out to be great players as they have both missed out on key position players.
Not from my point of view. I hope it works out well but it's the concept of settling for talls rather than the best available for early selections I'm challenging. I also question why you would make a trade to move from pick 10 to 7 and yet take Lewis. He would still have been available at 10.

I have actually said that you got the Franklin selection right but I think you have made mistakes with the other two.

OldSchool said:
Not from my point of view. I hope it works out well but it's the concept of settling for talls rather than the best available for early selections I'm challenging. I also question why you would make a trade to move from pick 10 to 7 and yet take Lewis. He would still have been available at 10.

I have actually said that you got the Franklin selection right but I think you have made mistakes with the other two.
hawks obviously traded up to pick 7 just so they could have the pick 7... they might not have thought it was gonna be for jordan lewis, but they just wanted to have a higher pick... as anyone would I would have thought. I don't know why you think it's a mistake picking him at 7 anyway... he averaged over 30 possesions a game in TAC level and has a mature body already. Mistake with Roughead? Why? We need Key position players... they were the best two. Most clubs think they are good pickups..
cept for doggies and tigers........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oldschool, you seem pretty sure that the Hawks have made some mistakes? the whole Hodge, Ball, Judd thing comes to mind. No one will know until these players actually play some games! remember not every top 10 draft pick is a star player take Kris Massie, Lance Piciaone etc. for example. I'm still not sure about the Hawks taking need (i.e. KPP) over the best available player in the draft, but with Rawlings and Thompson leaving in succesive seasons left our hands tied a bit. we can't really judge who was right or wrong until these players have had 2 years in the system. How many games did Nick Riewoldt play in his debut season? not many, he had injuries etc. I bet St. Kilda wearn't too upset that he took a year to develop!!
There will always be gem players who come from lower in the draft.

OldSchool said:
I also question why you would make a trade to move from pick 10 to 7 and yet take Lewis. He would still have been available at 10.

You don't know that as fact as no one will ever know. You don't know whether others clubs before pick 10 would've picked him if hawthorn didn't have pick 7. They also might have hoped someone they rated higher would slip to 7 leaving the player to them.

Hawthorn obviously wanted a the best combination of kpp, ruckman & midfielder with their first 3 picks
When they missed Tambling at 5 they took Franklin who not only is a mobile kpp but when he finishes growing to 198cm will be able to fill a ruck role if needed ala Goodes.
So with a 193cm CHF/CHB in Roughead, a 198cm kpp/ruck in Franklin they were left with picking who they considered the best midfielder for their needs. They obviously saw Lewis as the best of the type of midfielder that they thought they needed.

I'm sure if they got things how they wished they would have picked Roughead, Tambling & Meeson. There's no way they traded up just to get Lewis, the pause in his selection pretty much confirms that one.

OldSchool said:
Didn't think you'd actually seen him play and that's why you cant discuss anything other than the fact that you needed talls.
BTW, Have a look at the Doggies list, there are a number of KPP on it and it's one of the tallest in the comp. There might be a question about the quality of the talls but they are tall and that's what really counts doesn't it ? ;)
Don't even understand what you are getting at here. If you are suggesting that I am over-rating the need for quality talls, then you are arguing against 100+ years of football history. Teams are built around quality Key Position Players. Good teams that is.
And yes, I have seen Roughead play. Only a couple of games but I have seen him.

OldSchool said:

Western Bulldogs Pick 6: Tom Williams :eek:

deck said:
You don't know that as fact as no one will ever know. You don't know whether others clubs before pick 10 would've picked him if hawthorn didn't have pick 7. They also might have hoped someone they rated higher would slip to 7 leaving the player to them.
Actually, The Crows and and Blues had already committed to Meesen and Russell at 8 and 9 providing one of the top 5 players wasn't still available so how about explaining why there was a need to move up from 10 to 7 to land Lewis again ? BTW the Pies also got the bloke they wanted, Egan, as well.

OldSchool said:
Actually, The Crows and and Blues had already committed to Meesen and Russell at 8 and 9 providing one of the top 5 players wasn't still available so how about explaining why there was a need to move up from 10 to 7 to land Lewis again ? BTW the Pies also got the bloke they wanted, Egan, as well.

They would have also hoped 1 of the top 5 have dropped to 7. The pick they gave up was 37 so they basically lost nothing. And as someone stated above they most likely thought the were only going to get 1 tall in there 1st 2 picks and then would've taken meeson ahead of the crows. It's just the draft ends up falling different to how every thinks it will. Pick 7 will always be better than pick 10 no matter how you look at it as there is 3 extra players in the pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

draft top 10 - who do they remind you of

Remove this Banner Ad

Back