Dumb question from a non-Bulldog

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else noticed that GWS are using Red, White and Blue as their promotional colours too??
Imagine having two "Western" teams basically in the same colours.

I really hope they dont use our colours. It would be horrible

If they use our colours then Smorgo should kick up the biggest stink possible.

What if we changed our name to Western Melbourne Bulldogs... I'd love to be footscray again but I think it limits our potential for growth what if we targeted as growth area in the west like Werribee and became Wyndham or something?

I'd like to qualify I think thats a horrible idea. Just throwing it out there. I don't think we need to change at all.. Anyone that follows english football will know you don't get wolverhampton and bolton confused because they're both wanderers. And you dont get West Ham, Burnley and Aston Villa confused because they're all clarets. We already have a home and an identity, I find it hard to believe people will get confused.

What if we changed our name to Western Melbourne Bulldogs... I'd love to be footscray again but I think it limits our potential for growth what if we targeted as growth area in the west like Werribee and became Wyndham or something?

Well said. The whole naming thing went to the 'dogs' years ago when we were forced to use stupid monickers ... Richmond Tigers / Carlton Blues / North Melbourne Kangaroos ... smacked of wanting to sound all American.

The Americans use the animal names because the city of origin changes so much and quickly depending upon which billionaire buys the team and where he lives!

Re 'limits our potential for growth' ... Collingwood, Essendon, St Kilda, Carlton, et al who continue to use suburb names don't seem to suffer too much. The newer clubs, Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Freo didn't seem too worried about identifying with a suburb or a place.

I only embarrassingly use Western Bulldogs to explain to people up here who I barrack for ... otherwise I still barrack for Footscray ... the team I barracked for by standing at the Barkly Street end of the Western Oval from the 1970's.

Seems to me, we need to stick to our roots ... forget the 1990's abstraction ... and embrace our real name again, otherwise we'll win a flag and the cup will be raised by our captain wearing a silly 1990's graphic design representation of a 'dog', or is it a .... ?

You should have both. I think the ability to identify with the 'Dogs' is still good, just like we, as the Collingwood Magpies still get the "'Carn the Pies" etc.

But we also have the Collingwood! (repeat) and Collingwoooood chants.

Disappointing to lose that part of your history though if it does go away, I hated it when North were called the Kangaroos, the worst part being changing the club song from NM will be premiers... to the Kangaroos etc etc.

But it's all part of your marketing strategy I'm sure, so unless there's some sort of member initiative, I don't see it happening.

Also, I remember reading here a while ago a Dogs fan saying that one main reason for not supporting the change was that Footscray was considered derogatory from opposing fans and that changing the name back would just be food for that. I don't buy into that but still..

Well said. The whole naming thing went to the 'dogs' years ago when we were forced to use stupid monickers ... Richmond Tigers / Carlton Blues / North Melbourne Kangaroos ... smacked of wanting to sound all American.

I don't understand what you're getting at here. Haven't our clubs been using their mascots since, I dunno, the forties or something at the very, very latest, but probably earlier for most clubs.
Are you claiming that the old VFL was trying to americanise the teams way back then?

I don't understand what you're getting at here. Haven't our clubs been using their mascots since, I dunno, the forties or something at the very, very latest, but probably earlier for most clubs.
Are you claiming that the old VFL was trying to americanise the teams way back then?

I don't think I mentioned mascots once?

Yes clubs have used mascots for ages and nicknames for a long time too ... but, and here is what I am saying ... we didn't have this silly nonsense of the nickname being part of the 'name'.
So the game was between Melbourne and Geelong (for example) not 'the Melbourne Demons and the Geelong Cats'.
The notion of the 'the Melbourne Demons and the Geelong Cats' etc, is just marketing malarkey; and of no real benefit to anyone!:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhh, I see what you're getting at.
Yeah, sorry, I substituted mascot for moniker but we were talking about the same thing.

But were the clubs 'forced' to include these monikers by the league or by the the march of capitalism pushing their hands to make their 'brand' appear more 'attractive' in the 'marketplace'?*
Of course the AFL wants financially stable clubs but did they demand all this marketing push from the clubs or did the clubs simply have to adopt these tactics to keep up with the cost of running a modern footy club?

*Apologies for overuse of quotation marks but I'm an anarchist when it comes to capitalism and can't help but be sarcastic.

*Apologies for overuse of quotation marks but I'm an anarchist when it comes to capitalism and can't help but be sarcastic.

All's ok and no apology required. I come from similar origins, perhaps not quite anarchy though!

The end for me was when I started to go to the footy at Docklands and could not easily sit with my friends ... because we all had our seats. The dill I sat beside - yes a Dogs supporter and a total stranger - was an interminable bore and while I was watching the game fairly quietly from a tactical viewpoint, he was just shouting inane 'I don't understand the game' rubbish.
Surely the club(s) could see this enforced seating was a big move away from what the fans wanted or had grown up ... just going to the footy.
(In this case why not sell access to an area / bay and then the supporter jusst pick a seat when they arrive?)

So while I do not see much footy live from up here, the one thing I am missing is old feel of 'going to watch Footscray'!
(or perhpas I am just getting old)

But were the clubs 'forced' to include these monikers by the league or by the the march of capitalism pushing their hands to make their 'brand' appear more 'attractive' in the 'marketplace'?*
Of course the AFL wants financially stable clubs but did they demand all this marketing push from the clubs or did the clubs simply have to adopt these tactics to keep up with the cost of running a modern footy club?

A bit of both ... financial clubs (which we've become) survive. But you can become too much a business and forget your origins.

The end for me was when I started to go to the footy at Docklands and could not easily sit with my friends ... because we all had our seats. The dill I sat beside - yes a Dogs supporter and a total stranger - was an interminable bore (insert Bulldogs Big Footy poster's name here) and while I was watching the game fairly quietly from a tactical viewpoint, he was just shouting inane 'I don't understand the game' rubbish.

I just had to... :p

Anyone else noticed that GWS are using Red, White and Blue as their promotional colours too??
Imagine having two "Western" teams basically in the same colours.

I really hope they dont use our colours. It would be horrible

I'm seriously worried about this more than the name. I hope Andrew Dim doesn't make them wear Red, White and Blue. Our club should be standing up to this crap if it happens.

I've sent an email to the club RE: Team GWS colours.

It too really has me worried now that our colours could be so blatantly used by this new club.

These colours are our identity and we even sing about them in our club song.

There are tons of colour combinations that can be used, no need to poach ours!

I really hope Smorgo is all over this

Vlad was on Before the Couch on Monday and stated quite emphatically that GWS would in no way wear colours that will clash with the Dogs.

Yes, I saw that interview too and he still did not say that they Would Not Be wearing RWB. All he said was the jumpers wouldn't "clash". Huge difference on his spin. If GWS was wearing a hint of black & white at training, Eddie would be all over this. What the hell is Smorgon doing about this???

Remove this Banner Ad

Dumb question from a non-Bulldog

Remove this Banner Ad

Back