Dustin Martin Contract Thread [GWS Will Not Offer Dusty a Contract]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting situation here.

only a month ago in the English Premier League (EPL) christian Benteke, a young (21) Belgium striker who is going to be a star, handed in his transfer request, quit the club, was excluded from all pre season training and practice matches.
about 12-14 days later, after every fan, media outlet ect was resigned to the fact he was leaving, he did a complete backflip and signed on with Villa on a 4 year contract.
Similar situation in that a very young player perhaps got ahead of himself, wanted more money, to play for a big club, realised his situation, how young he was and potential vs performance.
I will give Dusty 2 weeks to re commit to this club, people will get into his ear every day, aka Vlad today and try and influence his decision. I thing we all agree than Dusty is easily influenced and needs guidance, if he dosnt want to re commit to the club with 90% of people saying he should stay... well then he can go, hopefully we get a decent deal for him
Didn't they have welcome back painted on the back of their piss off signs ;)

Regardless if he stays or goes we have seen his true colours.

Good for you though for accepting it so well, lets just hope it doesn't cost us Conca also.

What are his true colors exactly?

No they must offer a trade. They cannot force a player into the PSD. If the AFL considers the offer from GWS fair and we do not accept they'll say that's fine he can go into the PSD if they do not consider it fair they will force GWS to the negotiation table and mediate to provide a fair outcome.

I have been quoted 3 times from that post and everyone is telling me the same thing?

I know that they have to try make a fair trade. THEY DO NOT CLASSIFY PICK 1 as a fair trade this is what I am trying to say!

No one in there right mind would give up pick 1 for Dustin Baggage Martin. If the kid lived the same lifestyle as Cotchin off the field there would be 17 clubs lining up for him but unfortunately he doesn't so it drops he's value.

If Melbourne offer pick 2... Take it and run.

interesting situation here.

only a month ago in the English Premier League (EPL) christian Benteke, a young (21) Belgium striker who is going to be a star, handed in his transfer request, quit the club, was excluded from all pre season training and practice matches.
about 12-14 days later, after every fan, media outlet ect was resigned to the fact he was leaving, he did a complete backflip and signed on with Villa on a 4 year contract.
Similar situation in that a very young player perhaps got ahead of himself, wanted more money, to play for a big club, realised his situation, how young he was and potential vs performance.
I will give Dusty 2 weeks to re commit to this club, people will get into his ear every day, aka Vlad today and try and influence his decision. I thing we all agree than Dusty is easily influenced and needs guidance, if he dosnt want to re commit to the club with 90% of people saying he should stay... well then he can go, hopefully we get a decent deal for him

I found it strange that Benteke never left! He had loads of interest, so the similarities to Dustin are definitely there.

Side note: Belgium are a smokey for the World Cup. Put a bet on!

I can confirm that I have heard Martin is 99% going to Carlton. He's agreed to their deal in principle. Carlton will be looking to trade with Laidler or Hampson/Warnock and our first pick.

I can confirm that I have heard that it's 99% true that you're an idiot.

I would like more information but I'm not sure if anyone has it. I don't think a player can just say I want to go to GWS and GWS say we'll take him in PSD. I think the team that wants him must make an attempt to trade and if no trade eventuates then the player walks via PSD. If someone could find an example of where a player just went straight to PSD please let me know.

As soon as Melbourne enter the bargaining (or any other club for that reason), GWS will have to offer something good if they want him. Pretty simple huh?

If Dusty leaves it is apparently for the money. So he'll basically go to the highest bidder, because he can say no to whatever trade Richmond put forward if it doesn't suit him. Therefore, another club entering the trade process doesn't matter if they're not willing to pay Dusty the same amount that the rival club is. So Melbourne/GWS can just pay him more than the other one and keep their first round draft picks. What the highest bidder can do is tell him to walk into the PSD with a price on his head and pick him up that way. Luke Ball did something similar.

I appreciate that you guys want compensation for him, but you're just really unlikely to get anything worthwhile if he's willing to field other offers.

Just to clarify, why didn't St.Kilda take Wellingham then?

Because Ross Lyon (with Pelchen from memory) is a good coach but terrible list manager. He told Collingwood Ball was worth more then wellingham. Considering he kept ball off the ground for half the GF and it probably cost saints a premiership it was a more then fair offer.

Hell go back to Nick Stevens and Collingwood offered Scotland and a draft pick but port wanted didak.

No it's not!!

AFL is more than just a game... 95,000 die hard supporters turned up to watch the team they love, the team the have supported all their life. People buy memberships, they pay gates each week, they but jumpers, t-shirts, hats..... People invest their hard earned dollars and have supported the club they love... This kid, does not value any of this... he has a career at Richmond and he should take a pay cut like all the rest have....

Anyone that puts themselves first, club second and supporters third, deserves every rude comment in the world. Because he is 22 FFS.... He is not 34 and ready to retire... he will be on $800k by the time he is 28yrs old.... what else does he want?

The funny thing is that it was opposition fans saying these things about Martin everyone of us would be up in arms defending him to the hilt. Yet every other post in this thread is ripping into him as well as social media. If this keeps going I wouldn't blame him if he said **** it I'm out of here.

If Dusty leaves it is apparently for the money. So he'll basically go to the highest bidder, because he can say no to whatever trade Richmond put forward if it doesn't suit him. Therefore, another club entering the trade process doesn't matter if they're not willing to pay Dusty the same amount that the rival club is. So Melbourne/GWS can just pay him more than the other one and keep their first round draft picks. What the highest bidder can do is tell him to walk into the PSD with a price on his head and pick him up that way. Luke Ball did something similar.

I appreciate that you guys want compensation for him, but you're just really unlikely to get anything worthwhile if he's willing to field other offers.
As I said, that is what opposition supporters really truly want but trust me, it will not happen. We will get fair compensation for him IF he leaves, which he will not in any event.
Do you think Judd was ever a chance of coming to us when we threatened to take him in the PSD? No chance no matter what we offered to pay him!!! West Coast stuck to their guns and got a fair deal. Same as what we will do in the unlikely event Martin will leave

Jeez you St Kilda people really are stupid aren't you.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l-to-collingwood/story-e6frf9ix-1225803923294

The Saints refused to entertain sending Ball to Collingwood, his preferred destination, for pick 30 with the prospect of a player as well, or pick 25, which the Magpies had hoped to secure from North Melbourne.

And the player was apparently Wellingham, considering all the injury problems Ball had up until that point I'd say that what Collingwood offered was fair, it's not that Collingwood flat out refused to offer anything and simply told Ball to walk into the draft, it's that St Kilda refused to take an offer which seemed pretty fair at the time.

If GWS or any club and say we offer you a first round pick (possibly 5-15 range) + player and then we refuse to deal because we want a slightly better pick then I'd say it's the clubs fault if Martin walks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You were offered Wellingham more then fair compo for Luke Ball who had massive groin issues and played half games.

The after that Ball refused to do medicals making it harder for teams to pick him, finally he went into the national drafting basically calling out any club risking their first round draft pick.

Dusty has no injury history and is only 22, yes he has off field problems but he is far more enticing then Ball was.

I have been quoted 3 times from that post and everyone is telling me the same thing?

I know that they have to try make a fair trade. THEY DO NOT CLASSIFY PICK 1 as a fair trade this is what I am trying to say!

No one in there right mind would give up pick 1 for Dustin Baggage Martin. If the kid lived the same lifestyle as Cotchin off the field there would be 17 clubs lining up for him but unfortunately he doesn't so it drops he's value.

If Melbourne offer pick 2... Take it and run.

I don't think pick 1 will be on the table unless Melbourne offer pick 2 but he will not walk into the PSD.

Fair enough guys, we'll see what happens. Dusty is clearly worth a very high draft pick or two, I just don't see why any club would give it when they could get in his ear and get him to leave for nothing. They could just say no to any trade offer Richmond proposes, put a price on his head and get him to walk.

From GWS' view, why would they give you a first round draft pick for something they could get for trading nothing by paying him more than Melbourne or Richmond offer? Madness.

Fair enough guys, we'll see what happens. Dusty is clearly worth a very high draft pick or two, I just don't see why any club would give it when they could get in his ear and get him to leave for nothing. They could just say no to any trade offer Richmond proposes, put a price on his head and get him to walk.

From GWS' view, why would they give you a first round draft pick for something they could get for trading nothing by paying him more than Melbourne or Richmond offer? Madness.
If this were truly the case why do clubs always try to make deals. Us with Houli, Blues with Judd, Swans with Tippet, Collingwood with Houli ect...

The AFL will only allow PSD as a last resort. Remember on difficult deals they will mediate.

Will we get pick 1? Probably not unless Dusty does not care where he goes and we get good offers from Melbourne and other clubs.

Well realistically the only club that could pull a stunt like that off is gws, if we can get a top. 10 pick I'm cool, weve aced our r 1 selections in last5 years, long may it continue

Starting to change my tune. Im now hoping he stays regardless and we (the club) just accept he is a unique case and work with him, even if it costs an extra $$$ for minding and personal development.
In the last two days the media clips accompanying his story show just what we will be giving up. He is just to good. If i knew how to tweet i would tell him this.

Starting to change my tune. Im now hoping he stays regardless and we (the club) just accept he is a unique case and work with him, even if it costs an extra $$$ for minding and personal development.
In the last two days the media clips accompanying his story show just what we will be giving up. He is just to good. If i knew how to tweet i would tell him this.

That's the feeling that hit me today too Baz. Started getting a little emotional about it all

What irks me most is how underrated he is by other supporters. There's a guy on the D&T board who said even if he didn't have off field issues he's only worth pick 5-8!! Couldn't believe it. North supporter of course :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back