Recommitted Dustin Martin [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Itsbhard to see dusty playing at all next year.

He's got his money
He had the sever injury last year
Lost his dad
Mental health break
Hammy broken down again.

For a bloke who has achieved everything and from the outside doesn't appear to be the type that is obsessed with playing. At some point he may just say I'm done

Itsbhard to see dusty playing at all next year.

He's got his money
He had the sever injury last year
Lost his dad
Mental health break
Hammy broken down again.

For a bloke who has achieved everything and from the outside doesn't appear to be the type that is obsessed with playing. At some point he may just say I'm done

He may well play next year but I cannot see him moving. It is Richmond or early retirement imo.

He is on big money. BIG.

Just picked up another injury and he's over 30.

How much drive and hunger is left?

Why would any club risk so much landing him when they would need to pay him so much? That doesnt add up for me.

Last edited:

This article is suggesting two first rounders from Sydney. While I was thinking the same earlier in the year, I would be surprised if that would be the result now. Mostly due to him recently starting to get soft tissue injuries.

I think it will be a similar case as when Daniher was interested in going to Sydney. Sydney will see Dusty as something nice to have, but won't be bending over backwards to get him.

Would be very surprised if it was 2 first rounders now. My guess is a first round pick, perhaps next years third round thrown in if Richmond are lucky.

Wouldn't even be that really now. Will be like Mitchell type late late pick

But neither team can afford to pay him what he is on and who would want to pay a 30 plus year old over a million a year who is starting to regularly break down?

It a sure way of pissing off the rest of the team, especially those who will need to play for less and watch the great man walking laps in rehab.

Agree it would need to be a nominal pick, nowhere near two 1st and Dusty takes a big pay cut. That is the only way it would work in reality.

But neither team can afford to pay him what he is on and who would want to pay a 30 plus year old over a million a year who is starting to regularly break down?

It a sure way of pissing off the rest of the team, especially those who will need to play for less and watch the great man walking laps in rehab.

Agree it would need to be a nominal pick, nowhere near two 1st and Dusty takes a big pay cut. That is the only way it would work in reality.
It will be the giants with AFL paying off most of it as an "ambassador"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo everything is pointing towards retirement.

If dusty is trying to escape the fishbowl, changing clubs wont help. No matter where he goes for the first year at least the media will still be all over him, more so if the new club doesn't perform.

Creating a media and industry frenzy doesnt quite suit the hiding in the shadows narrative

This article is suggesting two first rounders from Sydney. While I was thinking the same earlier in the year, I would be surprised if that would be the result now. Mostly due to him recently starting to get soft tissue injuries.

I think it will be a similar case as when Daniher was interested in going to Sydney. Sydney will see Dusty as something nice to have, but won't be bending over backwards to get him.

Would be very surprised if it was 2 first rounders now. My guess is a first round pick, perhaps next years third round thrown in if Richmond are lucky.
It would want to be a very late first and only if Richmond are footing a huge chunk of his salary. Even with that i am still not sure Sydney should do it.

At the end of the day i just don't want 1.3m of my cap being used on Dusty at his current age even without considering the assets required to get him.

It would want to be a very late first and only if Richmond are footing a huge chunk of his salary. Even with that i am still not sure Sydney should do it.

At the end of the day i just don't want 1.3m of my cap being used on Dusty at his current age even without considering the assets required to get him.
Sydney aren't gonna do it. We got bigger fish to fry.

I really like the idea of Dusty joining the Suns tbh.

Suns are finally building a list organically. The last thing they need is to pull a crazy move and trade for Martin, potentially setting back their list build by losing young players they can no longer fit under the cap for a guy who hasn't played his best for 2 years and will likely be out of the game entirely in another 2 years.

In Taranto's case, it's been reported he wants to stay and prefers being in Sydney but GWS have salary cap issues. Trading from Martin on a healthy contract doesn't really help you solve that problem.
Might depend on how many blokes are leaving. There's speculation around Taranto and Hopper. Surely between the two of them you'd be close to Dusty's salary? If they negotiated an extended contract for Dusty (say add a year and reduce his yearly salary) it might work. But it's a stretch I agree. How much does Taranto want, anyone know?

I think the Giants are past the point of signing for marketing, would hope at least.

If they want out sure not much you can do but they would be (imo) asking for young players or draft picks

You may be right, I've got no idea, but I think there would be interest from most clubs in Dusty surely?

Might depend on how many blokes are leaving. There's speculation around Taranto and Hopper. Surely between the two of them you'd be close to Dusty's salary? If they negotiated an extended contract for Dusty (say add a year and reduce his yearly salary) it might work. But it's a stretch I agree. How much does Taranto want, anyone know?

You may be right, I've got no idea, but I think there would be interest from most clubs in Dusty surely?
On your first point I think that makes it even more likely, they are a bottom 4 team. Losing Hopper and Taranto makes them worse even worse with Dusty.

On the last point I think he would have a small market.

At his age you can rule out all rebuilding teams I think. North, Adelaide, Hawks, Giants (imo), Eagles, Essendon.

Now of the others that would theoretically be looking to contend in the next couple years how many have the cap space to accommodate him? Of those teams with the cap space how many are willing to give up assets? Of those how many would Dusty want to go to?

I honestly think he has a very very small market of teams are would both like to have him and also have the ability to get him.

Everyone seems to be hung up on his salary.

If he leaves, he tears up that contract and starts a new one on much less money.

You need to remember, it isn't RFC driving it if it happens, we are not Collingwood.

On your first point I think that makes it even more likely, they are a bottom 4 team. Losing Hopper and Taranto makes them worse even worse with Dusty.

On the last point I think he would have a small market.

At his age you can rule out all rebuilding teams I think. North, Adelaide, Hawks, Giants (imo), Eagles, Essendon.

Now of the others that would theoretically be looking to contend in the next couple years how many have the cap space to accommodate him? Of those teams with the cap space how many are willing to give up assets? Of those how many would Dusty want to go to?

I honestly think he has a very very small market of teams are would both like to have him and also have the ability to get him.
Add to that the only trade rumours around him speculate that he wants out of the VIC 'fishbowl' so you are literally only left with interstate sides that are competing for a flag.

Fremantle, Brisbane, Sydney. That's pretty much it. So if he wants to get to NSW specifically it's Sydney or bust and that means moving on Franklin you'd think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Dustin Martin [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back