News Dylan Buckley officially a Blue !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Great news that we got Dylan this low in the draft and i was certain we would have to give up one of our first or second Rd picks.

Massive bonus regardless of what others say regarding the fact no other club put in a bid. Just worked out better for us.

Welcome to Carlton Dylan. :thumbsu::thumbsu::D

Re: Dylan Buckley officially a Blue !!

Just saw this photo of Dylan with his Dad on Facebook.

299470_10150346956383334_108959538333_8095172_1228885832_n.jpg

Seems to have grown a bit recently. Jim is mid 170's in height and Dylan appears to have about 5cm on him, putting him around 180cm tall by my guess. Decent enough height for a mid, just needs to add plenty of strength to his frame.

Just noticed one thing about him from that picture Sub... check out the size of his forearms... he is going to fill out nicely I reckon now that we have him on the list.

Awesome to see that the rest of the league decided that because we committed to him 2 years ago, they werent going to get into a bidding war with us and potentially screw up their trade picks by being forced to take him for a first round pick they attempted to use to screw us over.

Also, I would just like to say that it is awesome that we got Dylan to the club. Out of the sons of Kenny Sheldon, Wayne Johnson and Jimmy, we got the best of the lot with Dylan. I am really looking forward to seeing him get his first run out in Navy Blue with the CFC logo on his chest.

Welcome to Carlton young man.

FFS what's all this crap about him not being any good just because we're using our last pick? Hello people, take a look at how many ROOKIES we have playing in our best 22; Jamison, Garlett, Carrazzo, Joseph, Laidler, Thornton, Ellard, Curnow (has shown at his best he is up to it), Betts was a PSD pick, Duigan was a late pick also. You people need to settle down and give the kid a chance to prove himself.

Also, to those in the know, could you please outline what sort of player he is, I know he isn't a KPP but what are his strengths and weaknesses? Who will he be challenging for his position. Thanks.

Can I ask what position he plays?

He isnt going to be an in and under mid... more of an outside mid/winger in a similar mode to Simpson... who will be the person that Dylan is challenging for a position in the side.

From everything that I have heard about him... he seems to be a smooth moving player who, like Gibbs, seems to be moving in treacle with excellent decision making abilities and a good kick on him (coming from the Jimmy Buckley tree, he is going to be a very good kick).

Also the interview with Jimmy says how much influence Carlton has had in the junior development of Dylan. With guys like Col Kinnear and David Parkin giving advice as he was growing up, how can he go wrong.

Also... because he is coming to us with a very low pick... it means that there is less expectations on him than there was for Lucas. If SOJ wasnt coming to us as a f/s pick, then we would be expecting him to go around the 8-15 mark in this years draft and I think that Sheedy had slated down pick 8 for him as one of their under 17's last year. Which is why we nominated him 2 years ago.

Breed with 2E?

Just wait for the natural growth... give him two years and he will be a thunder thighs, high speed mover just like his dad.

I seriously reckon that his playing weight once he finishes filling out is going to be around 80-83kg.

He isnt going to be an in and under mid... more of an outside mid/winger in a similar mode to Simpson... who will be the person that Dylan is challenging for a position in the side.

From everything that I have heard about him... he seems to be a smooth moving player who, like Gibbs, seems to be moving in treacle with excellent decision making abilities and a good kick on him (coming from the Jimmy Buckley tree, he is going to be a very good kick).

Also the interview with Jimmy says how much influence Carlton has had in the junior development of Dylan. With guys like Col Kinnear and David Parkin giving advice as he was growing up, how can he go wrong.

Also... because he is coming to us with a very low pick... it means that there is less expectations on him than there was for Lucas. If SOJ wasnt coming to us as a f/s pick, then we would be expecting him to go around the 8-15 mark in this years draft and I think that Sheedy had slated down pick 8 for him as one of their under 17's last year. Which is why we nominated him 2 years ago.

Thanks Dramoth, that certainly is exciting news to hear. Simmo's getting on in the age department so by the time Dylan develops his game at AFL level, he should be ready to slot straight in, unless he is good enough to earn his spot before Simmo's done.

Another point about Simmo is that he has hardly ever missed a game, he plays a really important role so to have found a replacement for him in case he does get injured and miss a few games only adds to our depth.

Especially happy to hear that he is a good kick.

If he was getting enough attention to warrant a pick 8 selection then he is basically a first rounder for free. I wouldn't be surprised if Carlton had something to do with scaring off recruiters, it's a smart move.

Dylan played predominantly as a half back for Metro. He is quick, has neat skills and can find the footy.

Not much of him but he still goes in hard when it's his turn to go.

He's definitely a better player than his draft position will suggest, plenty of talent to work with.

He seems like a really level headed guy and quite well spoken. He knows that he is going to have to work hard and that's a great start.

I loved the fact that he is so keen to earn the respect of his team mates.

Welcome Dylan.

Also, I would just like to say that it is awesome that we got Dylan to the club. Out of the sons of Kenny Sheldon, Wayne Johnson and Jimmy, we got the best of the lot with Dylan. I am really looking forward to seeing him get his first run out in Navy Blue with the CFC logo on his chest.

Welcome to Carlton young man.

Did "Fabulous" have any kids? :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, paying last pick is OK. Can't go wrong from there.
I agree it's a win win no matter if he doesn't make it. I'm glad we didn't use our first pick, it would be kind of foolish to use it on a player that missed near 2 years.

Renewed feud by Jason Phelan
Three years ago Mitchell and Buckley lined up against each other in the Grand Final of the Yarra Junior Football League's under-15 competition - Mitchell for Ashburton and Buckley for Fitzroy.

"My team got up and I still hold it over him, even today," Buckley says with a broad grin.

"It is kind of [surreal] to be in this situation though. If you'd asked three years ago, I would have said that it was a long shot, but it's definitely something we've both been aiming for."

TomDylan316a2.jpg
A lot will have to go right for both players to be selected in the senior squads for their respective clubs when they first meet next season with Buckley, in particular, needing a strong pre-season after an ankle injury stalled his development in 2011.

"I hurt it at the start of the year, but they said that it would come good," Buckley explains.

"I played a bit of footy and it kept coming up, so I had to get a little clean out in the end, but I'm fine now and I'll start running in the next few weeks.

"I think Tommy's probably got me covered at this stage, he used to throw me about a bit and I think he still could, but I'll bulk up soon."

We could have had Buckley and Mitchell if Barry had reached 100 games.#burn

:D

[YOUTUBE]eknPwt8tG5U[/YOUTUBE]

Good players on Youtube

Buckley might be a lightweight and speedy mid/forward like Travis Colyer.

For a rake, Buckley doesn't pull out.

Great run down of the speedy Warwick Andreoli on the wing that missed the cut. :eek: :D

Love that he appeared to relish getting into that dust up at the start.

Buckley also did a bit of directing like Yarran and Whitnall by pointing to where his teammates should be on the ground.

Was voted into the leadership group at the AIS.

I hope we give Buckley more time than Kerr.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dylan Buckley officially a Blue !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back