Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. It was, then we couldn't get on the same page as GWS, as we weren't going to give them 2x first rounders, so Connors gave us time to try and sort it out and in the meantime Bombers put up their hands and said "we'll pay it, come to us". So he did.

Congrats.

Looking forward to your excuses when we don't cough up two first rounders.

Any mention of what the personal terms will be?
4/5 years
would be my guess
In terms of trade I am sure that GWS will push for 2 firsts and Bombers will start at #9 and then depending on what draftees both teams are looking at I am sure a middle ground will be reached but it will be about an ability to move up the draft for the Giants as I think they will have an eye on the Dockers first pick
#9 + 2019 1st for Shiel + #24 or 2019 2nd
#9 + #33 + 2019 2nd for Shiel + 2019 3rd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a little curious how you have this war chest when you only recently re-signed some of your highest profile guys, brought 3 guys in last year on big money and another guy this year on massive money.
The re-signed probably took unders because of their workers comp payouts. They still believe they did no wrong remember.

Why doesn't Dodoro just sit at 9? GWS can't just say no deal and walk away. They have to get Shiel off their list.

We're not going to try and stiff arm them, why would we? we don't really have anything to gain by digging in here. My opinion of his worth hasn't changed since he nominated us, I place him at a decent first rounder + a sweetener.

My proposition is 9 and 34 for Shiel and 51.

Last edited:
Don’t kid yourself.

Look at this keyboard warrior. What a solid contribution of bravado to this thread for the ultimate reward of jumping back into your box.

Face the facts - you're club is a fading giant, just like we have been, and nobody of note wants to board the bus that is about to drive off the cliff. It's simply evolution.

Other fact is that Essendon's offer was the lowest, so he wants to come to a club where he sees the opportunity for success rather than $$$. If you think Jackets is a guy that pays overs, then you are a bigger fool than I thought.

Shiel for Pick 9 is perfect - nothing more, nothing less. As has been widely stated, he is not an elite midfielder.

Essendon would be negligent to cough up 2 first rounders.
im surprised people don't rate him elite. He had a down year, but he was covering a lot of injuries at GWS.
At their best, he was an AA mid in 2017. Even when they had everyone back, he was the one teams tagged during the finals.

Im stoked with this. Essentially getting the 2nd player i'd pick from their list after Kelly...maybe 3rd after Greene.

The re-signed probably took unders because of their workers comp payouts. They still believe they did no wrong remember.

Really surprised this is not called out more often. The insurance payouts to Essendon players involved in the drugs scandal coincided with contract extensions.

For the integrity of the salary cap, Insurance payouts to players who continued at the club surely should have been included in the cap. It was negotiated settlement with each player to remain at Essendon.

From The Age at the time
"Fairfax Media understands the Heppell camp met the Bombers earlier in the week but has not yet decided how big a claim it could seek for loss of earnings and reputation and health-and-safety breaches as a result of the 2012 injecting program.

There are reports Heppell could launch a case for more than $1 million, taking into account this would have been the first year of a lucrative five-year contract. But the Bombers insisted on Friday there had been no discussions about legal action with any of the players, let alone possible pay outs, and they were expecting an amicable outcome."

Heppell and others were able to receive substantial compensation outside the cap, which can only result in additional cap space for traded-in talent. Last year that was Devon Smith, Adam Saad and Jake Stringer, when Essendon outbid rival suitors to become the chosen destination. Now using the additional cap space for Dylan Shiel. Who next?

Massive advantage, and one can only wonder why?

(expects the usual Essendon posters to come deflecting and mocking)

We're not going to try and stiff arm them, why would we, we don't really have anything to gain by digging in here? My opinion of his worth hasn't changed since he nominated us, I place him at a decent first rounder + a sweetener.

My proposition is 9 and 34 for Shiel and 51.

Thought that was Dodoro's MO. That deal seems fair. I was more surprised at people thinking two firsts would be fair for Shiel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Back