Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What deal is acceptable to you?

Giants would want to move up as high in the draft this year and also look to pick up 2nd and 3rd round picks this or next year for other deals (and also for points for next year only) so from this 2 possibilities
Shiel + 24 for #9 + 2019 1st
This won't go through but my thoughts on trading future firsts is it is too much of a risk for the club receiving the pick where as future 2nds will carry less of a risk and be more commonly used
Shiel + 2019 3rd for #9 + 34 + 2019 2nd
Maybe overly complicated but #9 + #34 seems to be unders so it could be a pick swap somewhere

Anyway onto a trade - Ess will do well to keep their 1st rounders this year and next. GWS coming out and saying Shiel is better than Trelour. 9 and if ess finish as they should a pick around 13-16 looks about right. The only danger would be if Ess has a disastrous year and tumbled down the ladder - as its stands that is very hard to see. Maybe Ess get a 3rd round back.

If they get a third rounder back it will equal Shiel for approx pick 4 or 5.

Mate.

You just don't get it.

It's not that Shiel did not pick Hawthorn.

It's that Hawthorn didn't want Shiel.
No, it’s Hawthorn could not/would not get the deal done and Bombers could. Really simple.

Anyone thinking if anything Carlton damaged their chances flying him on a private jet to meet with a billionaire in Noosa?

I’d see that as a desperate chance to impress me not really show me what the actual club is about. I just think it would rub some players the wrong way
I think on field success would be the primary factor not a private jet flight.

Although in hindsight, the return leg on Tiger Air probably wasn't a good idea.

No, it’s Hawthorn could not/would not get the deal done and Bombers could. Really simple.

Pretty shit thing of the club to do then. Why go so far down the path of trying to recruit him if when it comes down to it you couldn't get the deal done. Every club evalutated what they are prepared to pay and would ask the question early on to know if they are in the ball park. Either Hawks simply missed on their man (likely) or they simply were unprofessional in their approach to recruiting him. I choose the former.

Some Essendon supporters, particularly on the Essendon board, are way to determined on figuring out a way to get Shiel without spending two first rounders.

It's going to be two firsts, no need to kid yourselves. For Essendon that works fine because now is the time for them to pay big for big names.

I reckon most reasonable supporters are content with the 2 firsts. Think the talk is that we would like a second back which I think is fair.

Pretty shit thing of the club to do then. Why go so far down the path of trying to recruit him if when it comes down to it you couldn't get the deal done. Every club evalutated what they are prepared to pay and would ask the question early on to know if they are in the ball park. Either Hawks simply missed on their man (likely) or they simply were unprofessional in their approach to recruiting him. I choose the former.

Lol, it’s absolute bullshit.

As reported yesterday the Hawks were up to their necks in it and the first call Shiel made was to Clarkson to advise him he wouldn’t be coming.

Yet apparently the Hawks “wouldn’t pay the price”. Lol.

He just chose Essendon over Hawthorn. It’s impossible for some to accept, for some reason.

Anyone thinking if anything Carlton damaged their chances flying him on a private jet to meet with a billionaire in Noosa?

I’d see that as a desperate chance to impress me not really show me what the actual club is about. I just think it would rub some players the wrong way

I can see what you mean. Pretty sweet deal for Shiel though!

Unprofessional? Nah. Hawthorn never went public, never made a statement on Shiel. Tried to work through it behind closed doors with GWS/Connors but couldn’t.

Fair play to Bombers who got it done.

As reported yesterday the Hawks were up to their necks in it and the first call Shiel made was to Clarkson to advise him he wouldn’t be coming.

He just chose Essendon over Hawthorn. It’s impossible for some to accept, for some reason.

Not an outlandish statement and still may be the case but.... there was a hell of a lot playing out behind the scenes. Shiel may well have simply chosen Essendon over Hawthorn. Fact is though GWS are playing hard ball and want 2 x first rounders a la trelour. We won’t and can’t trade out this years first and next years- even if we get a second rounder back.

Well played Essendon, Shiel is an absolute gun and exactly what they need

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn were up to their necks in it, but couldn’t get on the same page as GWS(would not consider trading two first round picks) which meant Shiel/Connors continued to hold off on making any sort of anmouncement of a decision.

When Essendon put forward their case, they convinced both Connors and Shiel that they could get the deal done with GWS, it was an easy choice. So they made the call.

That takes nothing away from what Essendon did, so I’m not really understanding all the angst.

Unprofessional? Nah. Hawthorn never went public, never made a statement on Shiel. Tried to work through it behind closed doors with GWS/Connors but couldn’t.

Fair play to Bombers who got it done.
You love egging them on dont you.

His 1st choice was the Bombers.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

He really really really wanted to be at Hawks. he really really did guys. I promise you he really did. That's why he took a lower offer to go to Essendon, because he really wanted to go to Hawks but Essendon offered less so he went there.

Not many I'd guess, partly because it is hard to find pure inside mids that do kick more than they handball. Most of the ones that do are not purely inside. Tom Mitchell actually got close this year, but still handballed a bit more than he kicked (16 kicks 19 handballs at 72%). Players like Josh Kelly do it, but I'd consider them not purely inside (in fact Tom Mitchell got outside a lot more this year than last year, and his kick to handball ratio benefited greatly). Pendlebury does it in good years, but not the last two (gets the efficiency but not the K/H ratio).

Guys that start mainly in the square

Sloane, Gibbs, M.Crouch

Cripps, E.Curnow

Pendles, Adams, Treloar

Oliver, Brayshaw, Viney, Harmes

Ect ect

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Back