Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

lets face it, no-one here really knows how this all played out....but it is pretty clear that there is no point nominating carlton or hawthorn, who both were in with a big chance....if they cant get a deal done with GWS....Ess had the best pick on offer....id say they will have upped there initial offer $$ when it became clear that Car / Haw deals were not happening....announcement made

its not rocket science....if SOS had been prepared to trade pick 1, then i bet he would have 'nominated' carlton....if Hawthorn had pick 4 on offer, he may have chosen them....

Mail is mail, I evesdropped Peter Moore talking to Daicos a month ago saying Darcy had agreed to terms with Sydney and all they needed to do was find the currency for the trade. Can’t get much closer to the source than that and it was wrong. Things change.

lets face it, no-one here really knows how this all played out....but it is pretty clear that there is no point nominating carlton or hawthorn, who both were in with a big chance....if they cant get a deal done with GWS....Ess had the best pick on offer....id say they will have upped there initial offer $$ when it became clear that Car / Haw deals were not happening....announcement made

its not rocket science....if SOS had been prepared to trade pick 1, then i bet he would have 'nominated' carlton....if Hawthorn had pick 4 on offer, he may have chosen them....

Nah. ABASI knows.

He has all the answers.

They're struggling to come to terms with the threepeat starting to fade from memories
They are to some extent, but what they are really concerned about is the much lauded 15 week rebuild hasn't worked.
It really looks like the straight set exit this year by the Hawks was further proof the band aids applied by Clarko to his ailing dynasty were folly.
Expect a hard landing for the Hawks unfortunately.

They are to some extent, but what they are really concerned about is the much lauded 15 week rebuild hasn't worked.
It really looks like the straight set exit this year by the Hawks was further proof the band aids applied by Clarko to his ailing dynasty were folly.
Expect a hard landing for the Hawks unfortunately.

Hawks wernt a real top 4 team will get a harder draw next season and can see them missing the 8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no idea what the actual trade will be, but I suspect something along the lines of pick 9, a future 1st or 2nd; with a 2nd or 3rd coming back depending on the previous line item.

What I want to address is the notion (largely being put about by jilted Hawthorn supporters) that 2 first round picks is somehow overpaying, irrespective of what comes back.

The alleged asking price for Hogan to Freo is two first rounders.

Last year Jake Lever attracted 2 first round draft picks in a trade, and I don't recall a lot of angst about that frankly. And out of Dylan Shiel and Jake Lever I know who I would prefer every day of the week:

Adelaide will receive two first-round draft picks in exchange for defender Jake Lever after a trade deal was struck with Melbourne on Thursday morning at Etihad Stadium.

The Crows have acquired Melbourne’s 2017 first-round draft pick (currently pick No.10), a future first-round pick and a future fourth-round pick.

In exchange Adelaide will send Jake Lever, a second-round pick (currently pick No.35) and a future third-round selection.

So if you go by that it seems pretty reasonable.

Even more pertinent to the Hawthorn supporters, the year prior to the Lever deal they acquired a player you may have heard a little bit about (mainly from Hawthorn supporters, naturally, particularly O'Rourke Awakens!! earlier in the year, every time he had a half decent game lol).

Whilst complicated, this is essentially how that panned out:

OUT:

Pick 10 (traded in from St Kilda then out to Gold Coast)

Pick 23 (traded in from Fremantle for Brad Hill then out to St Kilda for pick 10)

Pick 36 (traded to St Kilda for pick 10)

Pick 48 (traded in from Melbourne for Jordan Lewis then out to Carlton for future second rounder)

Pick 66 (traded in from Melbourne for Jordan Lewis then out to Carlton for future second rounder)

Pick 70 (traded in from West Coast for Sam Mitchell then out to Carlton for future second rounder)

2017 first round pick (traded to St Kilda for pick 10)

Carlton’s 2017 second round pick (on-traded to Gold Coast)

IN:

Jaeger O’Meara

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/oth...meara-hawthorn-afl-/hx2wor08rile1c0x2a7b395ep

So, yeah...

you can have whatever view you think about the respective merits of JOM v DS, but it's a bit rich for Hawthorn supporters on the one hand to chirp about Essendon potentially overpaying for Shiel whilst being all fine and dandy with what was paid for for O'Meara.

Hawthorn were up to their necks in it, but couldn’t get on the same page as GWS(would not consider trading two first round picks) which meant Shiel/Connors continued to hold off on making any sort of anmouncement of a decision.

When Essendon put forward their case, they convinced both Connors and Shiel that they could get the deal done with GWS, it was an easy choice. So they made the call.

That takes nothing away from what Essendon did, so I’m not really understanding all the angst.
without having the desire to trawl your post history, I am certain I have seen you post many times along the lines that if a player chooses a club, the deal gets done. This is a mantra of yours.

Yet now you're making the sincere case that Hawthorn wanted Shiel, and Shiel wanted Hawthorn, but ultimately the manager twisted Shiel's arm to take Essendon because the deal couldn't be done?!!

giphy.gif

without having the desire to trawl your post history, I am certain I have seen you post many times along the lines that if a player chooses a club, the deal gets done. This is a mantra of yours.

Yet now you're making the sincere case that Hawthorn wanted Shiel, and Shiel wanted Hawthorn, but ultimately the manager twisted Shiel's arm to take Essendon because the deal couldn't be done?!!

giphy.gif

There is no way whatsoever he simply preferred playing at Essendon over Hawthorn. No way at all.

as for the argument that the price is too high for a player who is a free agent/uncontracted next year, please...
  • The player is not a free agent or uncontracted this year.
  • Anything can happen in 12 months.
  • Including, as much as it might pain you to consider it, an Essendon premiership that is contingent on having top line players now.
Whilst some might not want to see it, the value you put on 12 months of service by a top line player cannot be overstated, and must be accounted for if you are going to bang on about contract status next year.

Essendon have secured the services of a contracted player. That's the reality of the situation. Fortunately there is significant leverage in the fact that GWS can't really keep him - but that doesn't mean Essendon can or should lowball him. Although, interestingly, that's the position some of the other suitors seemed to take; and a pretty sure contributor to why they ain't getting the prize

as for the argument that the price is too high for a player who is a free agent/uncontracted next year, please...
  • The player is not a free agent or uncontracted this year.
  • Anything can happen in 12 months.
  • Including, as much as it might pain you to consider it, an Essendon premiership that is contingent on having top line players now.
Whilst some might not want to see it, the value you put on 12 months of service by a top line plaer cannot be overstated, and must be accounted for if you are going to bang on about contract status next year.

Essendon have secured the services of a contracted player. That's the reality of the situation. Fortunately there is significant leverage in the fact that GWS can't really keep him - but that doesn't mean Essendon can or should lowball him. Although, interestingly, that's the position some of the other suitors seemed to take; and a pretty sure contributor to why they ain't getting the prize

I’d be shocked if we traded next year’s first (unless we were getting one back).

Everything else would be on the table.

giphy.gif
It is.

Shiel announced Essendon, and it will get done.

No one ever said Shiels arm was twisted, lol.

Can I get a leave pass from this thread now, please?

It is.

No one ever soda Shiels arm was twisted, lol.

Yes you may leave now, thank you for your contribution.

PS. Only quoting this message so you have to check in one more time.

It is.

No one ever soda Shiels arm was twisted, lol.

well, you did say something along the lines of he "instructed his client to pick Essendon" in another post, but it was probably on your board and as I know full well I can't quote that elsewhere or you'll report it and get me a day off.

But more pertinently, this is more sophistry from yourself. If Shiel wanted Hawthorn, and Hawthorn wanted Shiel, and players always get where they nominate; why didn't he just nominate Hawthorn?

It makes no sense man

I'd say throw the future 1st in. You're in line for a flag tilt, so let it rip. Bet on yourselves, and if it all works out, you're only out a virtual second rounder.

Just ask Gold Coast!
Essendon have invested heavily in the draft up until 2017, and have a glut of players in the lower 20s age bracket.

The time is absolutely right to spend draft assets on established talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Back