Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

No way he's worth 2 first rounders! Especially with a glass shoulder.
Tell them to keep him for that.
Pick 9 and a 2nd Rounder with their 3rd coming back.
Yeah his shoulder is so glass that he's played like 48 of the last 49 games.

It'll be two first rounders, no doubt about it. :)

Yeah his shoulder is so glass that he's played like 48 of the last 49 games.

It'll be two first rounders, no doubt about it. :)
I’d be happy with two firsts and something coming back but I’d imagine the club will start with this years first, next years second and negotiate from there

But more pertinently, this is more sophistry from yourself. If Shiel wanted Hawthorn, and Hawthorn wanted Shiel, and players always get where they nominate; why didn't he just nominate Hawthorn?

It makes no sense man

Only because you don't want to make sense of it.

It is pretty straightforward explaining what happened if Shiel did have his first preference as Hawthorn.

Unlike in most cases where "a deal gets done when a player wants to go to club A" the player was contracted here. Hawthorn had zero leverage if Shiel wanted to leave GWS more than he wanted to go to Hawthorn. If Hawthorn was just his first preference and his primary goal was just to get back to Vic this year, then GWS can basically just run an auction between all the clubs that want him and tell Shiel "You want to go home, fine, but were are going to say no unless it is to a club who can give us a top 10 pick. Hawthorn can't, so pick someone else."

Obviously he liked Essendon. If not he'd have stayed put or picked Carlton or Saints if they were happy to put up their top 10 picks (and it sounded like saints were). In hindsight, I think even if Hawthorn was his first in line, we really were last in line in terms of chances of ever getting him because of GWS's strong position once they knew he'd still be happy to go to more than one club.

This also fits the media speculation circus where very few thought Essendon were a chance until late on the weekend, which might have been when it became apparent GWS were not taking anything less than a top 10 pick and Shiel was happy to look at going to a club who could.

The reason he wouldn't nominate is because you look like a complete dick if you nominate one club and then have to switch to another when the deal can't get done. Fans especially hate that shit. In this situation his contract meant there was a much greater chance that a deal couldn't get done. I believe this is the first player Hawthorn has tried to get since Clarko arrived that was under contract, so the fact that it went down differently to all the others isn't that surprising. Seems like Hawk fans may have to put up with a similar circus with contracted Wingard now. Can't see us getting that deal done either, but think Chad might be more likely to wait a year so we can deal with him unencumbered by contract, but time will tell.

Of course it is possible Essendon and Shiel ran an amazing stealth campaign and this was all worked out weeks ago, but not many people with contacts in the different camps seemed to think so. You can probably find someone who'll say they knew this was going to happen, and said it before the deal went down, but with 1 million monkey's typing shit on the internet, you are always going to get a few masterpieces produced.

Hawthorn were up to their necks in it, but couldn’t get on the same page as GWS(would not consider trading two first round picks) which meant Shiel/Connors continued to hold off on making any sort of anmouncement of a decision.

When Essendon put forward their case, they convinced both Connors and Shiel that they could get the deal done with GWS, it was an easy choice. So they made the call.

That takes nothing away from what Essendon did, so I’m not really understanding all the angst.
Hey, thanks for the community announcement. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only because you don't want to make sense of it.

It is pretty straightforward explaining what happened if Shiel did have his first preference as Hawthorn.

Unlike in most cases where "a deal gets done when a player wants to go to club A" the player was contracted here. Hawthorn had zero leverage if Shiel wanted to leave GWS more than he wanted to go to Hawthorn. If Hawthorn was just his first preference and his primary goal was just to get back to Vic this year, then GWS can basically just run an auction between all the clubs that want him and tell Shiel "You want to go home, fine, but were are going to say no unless it is to a club who can give us a top 10 pick. Hawthorn can't, so pick someone else."

Obviously he liked Essendon. If not he'd have stayed put or picked Carlton or Saints if they were happy to put up their top 10 picks (and it sounded like saints were). In hindsight, I think even if Hawthorn was his first in line, we really were last in line in terms of chances of ever getting him because of GWS's strong position once they knew he'd still be happy to go to more than one club.

This also fits the media speculation circus where very few thought Essendon were a chance until late on the weekend, which might have been when it became apparent GWS were not taking anything less than a top 10 pick and Shiel was happy to look at going to a club who could.

The reason he wouldn't nominate is because you look like a complete dick if you nominate one club and then have to switch to another when the deal can't get done. Fans especially hate that shit. In this situation his contract meant there was a much greater chance that a deal couldn't get done. I believe this is the first player Hawthorn has tried to get since Clarko arrived that was under contract, so the fact that it went down differently to all the others isn't that surprising. Seems like Hawk fans may have to put up with a similar circus with contracted Wingard now. Can't see us getting that deal done either, but think Chad might be more likely to wait a year so we can deal with him unencumbered by contract, but time will tell.

Of course it is possible Essendon and Shiel ran an amazing stealth campaign and this was all worked out weeks ago, but not many people with contacts in the different camps seemed to think so. You can probably find someone who'll say they knew this was going to happen, and said it before the deal went down, but with 1 million monkey's typing shit on the internet, you are always going to get a few masterpieces produced.
that's all fine and well; but it would be a lot better if certain Hawthorn supporters had shown any kind of understanding for that fact, and had not completely poo-poohed anyone who pointed that fact out to them in the lead-up to this...

that's all fine and well; but it would be a lot better if certain Hawthorn supporters had shown any kind of understanding for that fact, and had not completely poo-poohed anyone who pointed that fact out to them in the lead-up to this...

Yeah, I think a lot of Hawthorn people had convinced themselves that we were his pick, and that he'd rather stay another year if GWS refused to trade with us. I was certainly hopeful that was the case, as it was our only potential leverage. As soon as he was willing to go to more than one destination (and for all I know we may have never been his first choice anyway) our trade position was terribly weak, and going to any of the other 3 clubs started to look more likely than us getting him.

It is.

Shiel announced Essendon, and it will get done.

No one ever said Shiels arm was twisted, lol.

Can I get a leave pass from this thread now, please?
Not so quick- can you please explain how I can get posting access to the Hawks board?
It appears I’ve been black balled for no obvious reason.
Thanks

I have no idea what the actual trade will be, but I suspect something along the lines of pick 9, a future 1st or 2nd; with a 2nd or 3rd coming back depending on the previous line item.

What I want to address is the notion (largely being put about by jilted Hawthorn supporters) that 2 first round picks is somehow overpaying, irrespective of what comes back.

The alleged asking price for Hogan to Freo is two first rounders.

Last year Jake Lever attracted 2 first round draft picks in a trade, and I don't recall a lot of angst about that frankly. And out of Dylan Shiel and Jake Lever I know who I would prefer every day of the week:

So if you go by that it seems pretty reasonable.

Even more pertinent to the Hawthorn supporters, the year prior to the Lever deal they acquired a player you may have heard a little bit about (mainly from Hawthorn supporters, naturally, particularly O'Rourke Awakens!! earlier in the year, every time he had a half decent game lol).

Whilst complicated, this is essentially how that panned out:

OUT:

Pick 10 (traded in from St Kilda then out to Gold Coast)

Pick 23 (traded in from Fremantle for Brad Hill then out to St Kilda for pick 10)

Pick 36 (traded to St Kilda for pick 10)

Pick 48 (traded in from Melbourne for Jordan Lewis then out to Carlton for future second rounder)

Pick 66 (traded in from Melbourne for Jordan Lewis then out to Carlton for future second rounder)

Pick 70 (traded in from West Coast for Sam Mitchell then out to Carlton for future second rounder)

2017 first round pick (traded to St Kilda for pick 10)

Carlton’s 2017 second round pick (on-traded to Gold Coast)

IN:

Jaeger O’Meara

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/oth...meara-hawthorn-afl-/hx2wor08rile1c0x2a7b395ep

So, yeah...

you can have whatever view you think about the respective merits of JOM v DS, but it's a bit rich for Hawthorn supporters on the one hand to chirp about Essendon potentially overpaying for Shiel whilst being all fine and dandy with what was paid for for O'Meara.
Jaegar would eat Shiel for breakfast twice on Tuesdays and you know it

Essendon have invested heavily in the draft up until 2017, and have a glut of players in the lower 20s age bracket.

The time is absolutely right to spend draft assets on established talent
Exactly. It's not like we've spent the last 5 years topping up the list with older established players in order to wring every last drop out of our shitty middle of the road or worse seasons before we admit defeat and start hitting the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Back