Eagles actively seeking a trade with all picks up for grabs

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you check the thread topic?

Yeah, that's what got them into this mess in the first place. They must've had nearly a dozen second round picks over the past 3 or so years, and all they've ended up with is the first pick at the good average player.

That's a poor assumption. In fact there is nothing to separate your assumption than from the morons talking up a trade for an established player, I see a misguided sense of belief in the current playing group. We are currently 16th of the ladder. That's the one and only reality that needs to be dealt with in this coming trade/ draft period.

If we go into the draft and take the available junior talent then we will be doing the same think as we did in 06 and 07, instead we should go after players on the basis of attribute criteria(s) then we can add some depth and variety to our list. A serious lack of diversity is hurting our list and we went some way in the 2009 drafts to fixing that.

Need to trade players for picks, strengthen our position within the second round where other teams will be potentially looking at an exit from. No pick is a sure thing but id like us to emulate your attitude where you are getting some decent prospects middle draft in 08/09.

What ab absolute load of horse shit. 12 players, thats the absolute max that could have been taken out of the early part of the draft. I can guarantee you that not all of the 17 year olds that were taken would have been in the top 30 of the draft.

You are seriously lacking in the stakes of mental prowess if you believe the 12 absolute best 17 year olds in the country all signed up and decided the gold coast was the place for them.
Couple that with the fact most of the time the 17 year olds picked up in the draft are a lot more speculative than the 18 year olds as they have had less time to show their wares. 2 of the 17 year olds they've picked have genuine claims of possibly being picked up in the top 10 and another couple that may have gone in the top 20. Also add to that with the fact that they are going to have to be a lot more needs focussed in regards to the draft as opposed to how clubs normally respond with just taking the best available talent and its highly unlikely pick 27 this year is going to be of much less relative value than any other year.

The issue this year like last year is there seems to be 3 real genuine top picks and the draft doesn't seem to go as deep as far as smalls are concerned in regards to some previous drafts. But the depth of talls this year is excellent and depth wise is similar to 06.

Theres also a train of thought that with the possible shift towards picking up a lot more mature age players in the draft along with gold coast needing to have a needs focus, that as far as youngsters are concerned draft picks could have more value this year, than last year or other years previously.

Show where I said this? Don't make stuff up to help your argument, it reflects poorly on you.

The train of thought regarding the mature age pickups is due to the GC taken the good young talent.

GC choose the best 17 year olds available and they got some amazing talents in there. IMO all 11, Keath no longer there, would have been around the top 35 mark and Both Weller and Toy are top 5 picks IMO, with Matera and Mckenzie around about 10-15.

So IMO pick 4 is like pick 6 but pick 26 is like pick 32-24ish etc. so alot of the talent at the top is gone already and the GC get 9 first rounders. Also if the 17 year olds didnt sign up then they would have had to wait an extra year, the only one with claims would be Ben Jacobs but that would be doubtful.

Wow, just wow, what a simple and narrow minded view. Where to start? There's so much to choose from. :D

I get a giggle out of your comment of Carlton luring players from Melbourne.
Chris Johnson, hah!! Oh yeah, we were devastated about losing him! :eek:
McLean couldn't even get a gig in our midfield rotations when we were on the bottom of the ladder, he was played in the forward pocket. How would he go now that Scully, Trengove, McKenzie etc are all developing? :eek:
Although I suppose going by your reasoning you'll be able to lure some of our greats like Brad Miller or Daniel Bell, LOL, epic fail Obeanie. :cool:

So, let's just presume that the Eagles are prepared to pay over the odds for a contracted Bennell to lure him home. Sweet, you go girls!!!!
You won't be able to get him via the psd draft as he is contracted so you'll have to trade picks/players for him. You don't have any players who you'll be prepared to let go who have any decent trade value so it will have to be picks.
In this draft picks 4 and 27 may be the same number, but how much decent talent have the GC already taken from this batch? In reality pick 4 isn't worth a standard pick 4 for this very reason, pick 27's value is even more diminished. I'm amazed that you guys don't get this simple fact :confused:

Pick 27 won't be enough to get Bennell so it will have to be pick 4, hell, we'll even throw in Brad Miller and Daniel Bell to sweeten the deal :D

Actually Obeanie, you're onto something, pick 4 for Bennell, Miller and Bell, done!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Thats narrow minded.

Players who are hold trade value who I would put on the table.

Adam Selwood - very good tagger who can get the ball himself, also can play HBF / small back.

Matt Pridis - inside mid who tackles well and would excell in a midfield where he is the 4th / 5th best midfielder.

Ash Smith - taken one pick after Bennell. Dashing HBF / wing. May want to head back to Vic.

Mitch Brown - KP CHF / CHB taken pick 13 in 2006.

Ben McKinely - medium forward, strong overhead, good lead, good kick on goal.

Dean Cox - needs to go to a Melbourne club close to playing off for a flag.

Matt Rosa - winger who runs hard and is actually improving even though he's playing in a young side.

If you think there is no talent worth trade value at the Eagles its you with the narrow mind.

Thats narrow minded.

Players who are hold trade value who I would put on the table.

Matt Priddis - inside mid who tackles well and would excell in a midfield where he is the 4th / 5th best midfielder.

Mitch Brown - KP CHF / CHB taken pick 13 in 2006.

Ben McKinely - medium forward, strong overhead, good lead, good kick on goal.

Steven Brown (West Perth) + Jeff Garlett (Swan Districts) + picks for McKinely/Brown + Priddis?

Interestingly enough, even though I don't think the Eagles would trade Priddis, what would he be worth in the market? What would you expect for him?

Steven Brown (West Perth) + Jeff Garlett (Swan Districts) + picks for McKinely/Brown + Priddis?

Interestingly enough, even though I don't think the Eagles would trade Priddis, what would he be worth in the market? What would you expect for him?

Steven Brown has little trade value. A squad member, who's not best 22, who doesn't play often won't be traded for a best 22 player.

Neither Garlett or S.Brown, alone or combined, is trade worthy for M.Brown.
Good talls are of greater value given their rarity compared to midfielder/flanker types.

McKinley for Garlett is acceptable.

WC don't need S.Brown. There's an over abundance of his type at WC. Despite WC's ladder position, WC have better options for the position S.Brown would play. He'd be WAFL bound and unlikely to get any opportunity.

Priddis I doubt will be let go by WC. I find it hard to gauge his worth. I'll leave that to others to speculate upon.

Steven Brown has little trade value. A squad member, who's not best 22, who doesn't play often won't be traded for a best 22 player.

Neither Garlett or S.Brown, alone or combined, is trade worthy for M.Brown.
Good talls are of greater value given their rarity compared to midfielder/flanker types.

McKinley for Garlett is acceptable.

WC don't need S.Brown. There's an over abundance of his type at WC. Despite WC's ladder position, WC have better options for the position S.Brown would play. He'd be WAFL bound and unlikely to get any opportunity.

Priddis I doubt will be let go by WC. I find it hard to gauge his worth. I'll leave that to others to speculate upon.

Yes, I am seriously doubting Browns ability at AFL level, I just gave up some of our WA talent as bait.

I doubt Carlton would trade McKinley for Garlett, but I agree it is probably a fair trade.

M.Brown would be a great get, but I'm not sure if the Eagles would let him go...

@ EasternHills

2nd rounder for Priddis or Kerr? I would take Priddis before Kerr, currently anyway, but where do I sign up :eek:

Not a lot of love for Priddis on the Eagles board, but he is exactly what Carlton need, someone to get down and dirty.

He really is underated should be a top ten without a doubt. only 24yo people forget that. probly looking around pick 6/7. no way i'd trade him less than 12. slightly less for A selwood. 7-14 pick. i wouldnt trade less for either of those and im all for attacking the draft. club unlikely to trade either of those however basically our two best players outside lecras and with glass and kerr injured and cox out of form.

Actually with GC taking the best 12 players from the first third of the year already, it's more like pick 4 is still pick 7-9. Pick 27 is about pick 40. That's not factoring in the zone selections taken as well (they'd probably be picks 20-60 generally).

Liked the rest of your post though. :thumbsu:

They picked the some of the best 17 year olds. Every draft year we hear countless stories of a kid who was rated a certain first round draft pick at 17, who then slides back several rounds, or often not being picked up untill the rookie draft, if at all. Sure some of the kids they picked up would be highly ranked in this draft, but to say that almost half of them would be rated higher than the kid who goes at #4, or every one of them would have gone first round, is a little over the top.

From what I've heard from recruiters, less than half of them would have gone first round in this draft. At that age, physical maturity would be a big reason why they stood out from the pack. As the other kids catch up physically, many of them wont look nearly as impressive as they originally did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kerr has played a handfull of games in the past few years, and when he has played, it hasn't been top notch football. He's got the ability to play, but it's probably behind him. He's 28 come next season, with a dodgy body.

It's a tough one with Kerry, too risky for clubs to offer a 1st rounder, and a mid 2nd round is mid 30's. Would WC take what could be a few years of A grade football, a seasoned player to lead the group, or one of those iffy draft picks that would usually be 3rd round.

Kerr has played a handfull of games in the past few years, and when he has played, it hasn't been top notch football. He's got the ability to play, but it's probably behind him. He's 28 come next season, with a dodgy body.

It's a tough one with Kerry, too risky for clubs to offer a 1st rounder, and a mid 2nd round is mid 30's. Would WC take what could be a few years of A grade football, a seasoned player to lead the group, or one of those iffy draft picks that would usually be 3rd round.

You're right, WC missed the boat on trading Kerr by 2 years. At 25 and on the back of a few fantastic seasons, we could have demanded the world for him. Instead, we lost Judd (traitor), Cousins (drugs) and Kerr (injury) for near peanuts. At least Kennedy is qualty, otherwise it'd have been a complete ar.se raping of our star midfield.

Still, a GC might take him due to his profile, and the fact that the kids would need an older player to help lead them. Particularly with it looking increasingly like GC won't be pinching a single marquee player.

Priddis & Kerr would have to be worth a hell of a lot more than a second rounder.

Especially this year, 2nd rounder = say a pick in the mid 30's to low 50's

Instead, we lost Judd (traitor)
Is Brad Dalziell a traitor?
Tyson Stenglein?
Damien Adkins?
Daniel Chick?
Richard Taylor?
Mark Merenda?
Michael Collica?

Are they all traitors or just the guy that left your club?

Is Brad Dalziell a traitor?
Tyson Stenglein?
Damien Adkins?
Daniel Chick?
Richard Taylor?
Mark Merenda?
Michael Collica?

Are they all traitors or just the guy that left your club?

How many of these were club and premiership captains?

When a serving captain bails out on a club its not the same as just a decent player asking to be traded.

If Judd felt he couldn't act like a club captain and display commitment and loyalty then he shouldn't have accepted the job.

Yes, I am seriously doubting Browns ability at AFL level, I just gave up some of our WA talent as bait.

I doubt Carlton would trade McKinley for Garlett, but I agree it is probably a fair trade.

M.Brown would be a great get, but I'm not sure if the Eagles would let him go...

@ EasternHills

2nd rounder for Priddis or Kerr? I would take Priddis before Kerr, currently anyway, but where do I sign up :eek:

Not a lot of love for Priddis on the Eagles board, but he is exactly what Carlton need, someone to get down and dirty.

Carltons 2nd rounder for Priddis this year would be pick 33. That is a bargain / steal for who would get him. Carltons 1st rounder would be pick 17, which is closer to the mark, and thats after the U17's have already been snapped up.

M Brown and Priddis + our 3rd rounder for Garlett, Armfield + pick 17.

Armfield would release Hurn into our midfield, Garlett plays forward to release Le Cras for half a game and pick 17 we use on best available mid.

Blues get a CHF / CHB combo of Waite / Brown, a tough inside mid to help Judd plus a pick in the low 40's.

Or Priddis for Lucas could be an option. Lucas will be peaking just as Judd retires.

If you think there is no talent worth trade value at the Eagles its you with the narrow mind.

I didn't say that, however feel free to misquote again if you think it will assist your argument.

It's sad that you have to make stuff up, just shows that you have nothing

It's interesting that even though I've asked several times no one is willing to offer a realistic trade to get a player like Bennell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles actively seeking a trade with all picks up for grabs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back