Eddie: Pies selfish

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting comments from Eddie at the B&F.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/departing-pies-miss-award-night-20131004-2uzyd.html

"A pervasiveness of selfishness has crept into our club," McGuire told the Copeland Trophy dinner, which was not attended by Dale Thomas and Heath Shaw, who are both poised to leave the club.

McGuire said: "We won in 2010 by being side by side by doing everything required to win. Side by side means being that always, not while you are being supported but then turning your back when it doesn't suit.

"We know football is lucrative these days ... this club demands the highest standards, attitudes and application. Any form of selfishness will not be tolerated. It is about Collingwood first and only.

Pretty strong whack there, and delivered at the club's night of nights. But at who exactly? The departing players in particular? The whole playing group? A little swipe at MM for the situation he left behind - did his attitude at the end of 2011 rub off on some of his players?

It's all a little bit cryptic - he seems to want to give some people a big public spray, but obviously won't name names.

Personally I was never really aware this year that the Pies had such culture issues.

Interesting stuff from big Ed. Massive cleanout will leave them in a good position. Anyone think he was also talking about daisy?

Interesting stuff from big Ed. Massive cleanout will leave them in a good position. Anyone think he was also talking about daisy?
Think Swannie might have directed some of his comments during his acceptance speech at Daisy too.

I was surprised to read Shaw & Thomas didn't attend. The B&F night is about the season that has just passed and as both were Collingwood players in 2013 they should have gone. Chappy, PODs & Hunt went to our night after being delisted in a gut wrenching few weeks for some. That shows class to me.

Good to see the Pies being honest about what is wrong at their club. That's the only way to fix it.

The culture has been ****ed at collingwood for long time now we can go back to the darren millane days tosee this maybe before even there is a strong culture of rubbing the boots in and dictatorial control down collingwood

I was surprised to read Shaw & Thomas didn't attend.

Shaw probably confirmed why he is being traded by not attending. Showed the class difference between Shaw & Chapman as far as solid citizens go.

Thomas was probably best to stay away. He would have been booed like Carlton supporters gave the bronx cheers to Murphy at Carlton when they were getting flogged by the Bulldogs recently.

I recall Leigh Colbert was told to stay away from Geelong's B&F when he transferred to North Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was surprised to read Shaw & Thomas didn't attend. The B&F night is about the season that has just passed and as both were Collingwood players in 2013 they should have gone. Chappy, PODs & Hunt went to our night after being delisted in a gut wrenching few weeks for some. That shows class to me.

Good to see the Pies being honest about what is wrong at their club. That's the only way to fix it.

This is me trying to put the pieces together so I may be a bit off.
I think Shaw realised the negative effect he had on the playing group and hence the club during his review. When the enormity of it hit, it was too late. The Pies had had enough and there was no way back. If that was playing on his mind, he probably wouldn't have felt comfortable being there. I'm still not happy that he is gone though.
As for Thomas, his rift with Bucks and admin meant that Pies supporters were always going to react badly to him leaving. So those who would normally be ok with him leaving for dollars are less forgiving when they hear stories(not sure if true) of him white anting. The players can compartmentalise and still love him as a bloke but supporters normally don't because they don't know him personally. I think he knew the fans wouldn't be loving him at the night so the best thing was to stay away. Anyhow, most would have known what the theme of the night would have been so I really can't see him sitting there and listening to it.
Chappy, PODS and Hunt never had issue with the direction of the club and understand they are being moved on for playing issues only.

It's the old story, used by all clubs and supporters.

A player leaving for money, or because he doesn't like the place is a mercenary scum.

A player coming for money, or because he didn't like his old club is a top bloke.

I thought I read somewhere they were told not to attend. Thomas always wanted to go but was told in the last couple of days don't bother.

The culture has been ****** at collingwood for long time now we can go back to the darren millane days tosee this maybe before even there is a strong culture of rubbing the boots in and dictatorial control down collingwood

Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember the late 80's and early 90's club scene when you had a shit load of players out on the piss mid week and weekends. I managed to see some so-called evidence of ****** cultures at most clubs.
I'm not sure how the bold part of your post is meant to read.
In any case, Pendlebury spoke of giving more responsibility to the players. That's not a dictatorship.

It's the old story, used by all clubs and supporters.

A player leaving for money, or because he doesn't like the place is a mercenary scum.

A player coming for money, or because he didn't like his old club is a top bloke.

True. Also a player gets traded and delisted against his will it is because it is best for the club and it would be selfish to list clog. Cuts both ways. Very disappointed to lose Thomas, was an important and gun player but he is entitled to pursue his career how how he sees fit. The Carlton thing is overhyped. just another club, would there be this much angst if he went to GWS or Brisbane? Thomas and Shaw should have both been invited to attend, presented and thanked for their service along with the other departing players. Wrong call whoever made it.

I thought I read somewhere they were told not to attend. Thomas always wanted to go but was told in the last couple of days don't bother.

I think it was more like "Mate, they supporters will eat you alive."
If it was don't bother, I would love to have been a fly on the wall at Westpac just to see what was happening with Thomas all year.

True. Also a player gets traded and delisted against his will it is because it is best for the club and it would be selfish to list clog. Cuts both ways. Very disappointed to lose Thomas, was an important and gun player but he is entitled to pursue his career how how he sees fit. The Carlton thing is overhyped. just another club, would there be this much angst if he went to GWS or Brisbane? Thomas and Shaw should have both been invited to attend, presented and thanked for their service along with the other departing players. Wrong call whoever made it.

Invitations are extended to all players on the year's list. Shaw decided not to go. I hear Thomas agreed not to go when he and the club realised that you can't control the supporters reaction to him on the night. Hell, many on the tables were talking and having a laugh during presentations. Imagine what it would have been like had Thomas been presented?

Invitations are extended to all players on the year's list. Shaw decided not to go. I hear Thomas agreed not to go when he and the club realised that you can't control the supporters reaction to him on the night. Hell, many on the tables were talking and having a laugh during presentations. Imagine what it would have been like had Thomas been presented?

Can't control the supporters or can't control the president?

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie: Pies selfish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back