Eddie: Pies selfish

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't control the supporters or can't control the president?

Pickering was on radio today and he advised Bud not to attend Hawthorn's B&F. Said there would have been a discussion between Thomas, Connors and the club and the consensus would have been the same as Pickering's.

Pickering was on radio today and he advised Bud not to attend Hawthorn's B&F. Said there would have been a discussion between Thomas, Connors and the club and the consensus would have been the same as Pickering's.

Thomas had indicated as late as Wednesday he would attend. Seems the decision to change his mind was not his.

I was surprised to read Shaw & Thomas didn't attend. The B&F night is about the season that has just passed and as both were Collingwood players in 2013 they should have gone. Chappy, PODs & Hunt went to our night after being delisted in a gut wrenching few weeks for some. That shows class to me.

Good to see the Pies being honest about what is wrong at their club. That's the only way to fix it.

Thomas was told not to attend by the club due to the way they thought fans would react at the B&F.Sorry but that sounds like a crap excuse.Ablett attended the Geelong B&F the day he signed with GC and didn't get booed.I wouldn't thought at a B&F the crowd is a lot more well behaved than at say an actual game.

Didak wasn't there,but I think his reason is totally understandable.

I'm led to believe now that Shaw & Thomas did not turn up for their own reasons and not because they were told by the club to stay away. I apologise to pie fans who took my posts the wrong way but I never definitively accused the pies of wrong doing I just expressed an opinion based on what some others had said that has turned out to be false. Just another day on BF o_O

Thomas was told not to attend by the club due to the way they thought fans would react at the B&F.Sorry but that sounds like a crap excuse.Ablett attended the Geelong B&F the day he signed with GC and didn't get booed.I wouldn't thought at a B&F the crowd is a lot more well behaved than at say an actual game.

Didak wasn't there,but I think his reason is totally understandable.

I guess that's the difference between us and them ;)

If that's true then I find that a strange way to treat a couple of Premiership players at a club. Players leave all the time for various reasons. Pity some can't be mature about it and thank the guys for their contribution to the club. Especially when they're Premiership players for that club.

Especially when one is a mutual decision to part ways (Shaw), and the other is getting offered a big contract but with some doubts over his future so probably best to maximise income while young (Thomas).

And even Malthouse had a decent reason to leave, not sure why you would take a shot at him either.

Interesting comments from Eddie at the B&F.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/departing-pies-miss-award-night-20131004-2uzyd.html

Pretty strong whack there, and delivered at the club's night of nights. But at who exactly? The departing players in particular? The whole playing group? A little swipe at MM for the situation he left behind - did his attitude at the end of 2011 rub off on some of his players?

It's all a little bit cryptic - he seems to want to give some people a big public spray, but obviously won't name names.

Personally I was never really aware this year that the Pies had such culture issues.

What Eddie fails to understand that this sort of attitude generally filters down from the top, it's a reflection of the leaders within the club and that starts with Eddie. Whilst not trying to bring up old news it's no secret that this started creeping into the club the moment that Eddie selfishly decided to replace MM in his bid to keep Bucks so personnally Eddie and Collingwood has no one to blame but themselves if this attitude crept into the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes one premiership is all you get. Collingwood are still a solid team, just a little off the pace now, may get back to top 4, probably wont.

I think it is simply Eddie's expectations are too high, they are just not that good.

They treat two leaving Premiership Players like shit by telling them not to attend and not giving them the respect they deserve for what they did for the club. Then Eddie gets up and says the selfish culture within the team needs to change. There's something seriously wrong with that.

Shaw was invited be he chose not to attend. He left for holidays on Thursday night.

Most others have said he was told not to attend, as was Thomas. So you'll have to show proof of your statement.

Conversely they have to show some proof of theirs.

& don't take the moral high ground. Leigh Colbert was barred from attending Geelong's B&F when he was your captain and moved to North.

How would you feel a Joel Selwood would be received at Geelong's B&F if he was on the move to Hawthorn?

Keep wanking each other off if you want. You're kidding yourself if you think moving from Geelong to GC is the same as from Collingwood to Carlton.
Maybe so, but these guys are former Premiership players for your club. They deserve a little bit of respect for that. If you can't see that then there's nothing I can say that'll change your mind no doubt.

What Eddie fails to understand that this sort of attitude generally filters down from the top, it's a reflection of the leaders within the club and that starts with Eddie. Whilst not trying to bring up old news it's no secret that this started creeping into the club the moment that Eddie selfishly decided to replace MM in his bid to keep Bucks so personnally Eddie and Collingwood has no one to blame but themselves if this attitude crept into the club.

How was it selfish to replace Malthouse? When that was put in place Malthouse had spent 9 years at the club with zero flags. Most coaches are lucky to get that long without achieving premiership success.

Maybe so, but these guys are former Premiership players for your club. They deserve a little bit of respect for that. If you can't see that then there's nothing I can say that'll change your mind no doubt.

You seem to have missed my point completely, but that's fine.

At the same time, how do we know that selfishness was tolerated under the last coach and came home to roost during instances leading into the 2011 finals series? Speculation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie: Pies selfish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back