Preview Elimination Final - Sydney Swans vs GWS, 3:20pm, Saturday August 29 @ UTAS, Launceston

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

For those saying we've been lucky with injuries Games missing this week from regular players 567 Brissy. 563 Geelong , Swans 480 and Giants 281 !
I still think Mills will play
To be fair, we have been pretty lucky this year. Halfway through the season we'd had the least players miss through injury this year. That stat does just go to show how unlucky we've been in previous years though.

Yeah, bit unfortunate that we have been hit with injuries to key players on the eve of finals. We need Mills and Kennedy (despite what some have said about Kennedy).

I'm amazed at how Mills had 18 disposals before being subbed out half way through the 3rd quarter against GC. He was obviously hampered by injury, but still managed to have an impact (and score a goal!!). Brilliant player, and is crucial to our success.

There's been quite a bit of talk about us playing games with Mills. It appears we went in with that plan, to see how he responds, but also wrap him up in cotton wool. Don't think the external scruitiny was warranted.

I hadn't seen how Kennedy left the game with his hamstring complaint but hopefully it was purely precautionary (or at least mostly).

Can't afford to lose any critical players, particularly with Blakey out for the year.

UTAS is enormous which should suit us more than gws, as we like to use the full width of the ground to spread opposition defence. More I think about this match, I reckon swans will win comfortably. It might be close early, with high pressure from both sides but I don't think GWS will be able to sustain the pressure for long enough to impact our ball use.

A combination of ground size and our ball use has me pretty confident. Mumford will be useless on this ground unless there's a ton of stoppages. Hickey will run him ragged. I get Mumford is important for GWS because he gives them confidence with his presence but he's pretty limited with what he can actually do.

I reckon Mills will be named tonight and given until the very last minute to come good so wouldn't be surprised if he's a late out on gameday.

And unless he's keeping Warner out of the team I'm happy to play him even if he's not 100%

Contrary to popular belief teams play injured in finals all the time and every premiership team has them. If it comes down to a 100% Stephens vs an 80% Mills I'm going with Mills.

My team this week I think mills plays …… Campbell out Warner in
McLean Out Reid in
Fox sub again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am thinking they will select Mills and there will be no changes. The Chad will warm up with him and be ready to go if Callum is not right. Personally I would prefer to rest Mills.

JPK could not be considered ahead of the PF. That would be 4 weeks which is the minimum.

I liked Campbell and hope we keep him in. Foxy was good when he replaced Mills and his skills as a plug and play utility suit him to the med sub role.

Was interesting hearing the comments from Fagan last night RE Robinson in particular and being glad he didn't risk him in the R23 game, and that that comes with the hindsight of having secured Top 4 without him. I tend to think we do need to take the same view with Mills and Kennedy as much as we can. I know the early discussion this week was regarding needing to go all out in this game as it's do-or-die, but at the same time, I don't think we should be suicidal about it. Imagine if we could approach a SF with a reasonably fully fit Mills rather than an underdone Mills limping through the EF and struggling to back up?

Was interesting hearing the comments from Fagan last night RE Robinson in particular and being glad he didn't risk him in the R23 game, and that that comes with the hindsight of having secured Top 4 without him. I tend to think we do need to take the same view with Mills and Kennedy as much as we can. I know the early discussion this week was regarding needing to go all out in this game as it's do-or-die, but at the same time, I don't think we should be suicidal about it. Imagine if we could approach a SF with a reasonably fully fit Mills rather than an underdone Mills limping through the EF and struggling to back up?

Agree with this. I guess it depends on whether we think the guys underneath would be able to get the job done without them. I'd be leaning towards yes, especially if Rowbottom is approaching something near fully fit and Warner has plenty of match fitness into his legs. And as I said earlier I actually think going in with a lighter, quicker midfield could work against GWS' midfield. But then I'm not privy to what Horse & co are.

Agree with this. I guess it depends on whether we think the guys underneath would be able to get the job done without them. I'd be leaning towards yes, especially if Rowbottom is approaching something near fully fit and Warner has plenty of match fitness into his legs. And as I said earlier I actually think going in with a lighter, quicker midfield could work against GWS' midfield. But then I'm not privy to what Horse & co are.

Acknowledging it was only North and the Suns, but I do think we've shown enough the last fortnight to be confident in the ability and structure of our side with virtually anyone missing. We need to back the fit players we have available. I just get really nervous taking someone as clearly underdone as Mills into such an important match, when I would hope someone like Warner is in a better position to be fit and available.

Very true, but would be difficult to assess I'd imagine. Which is probably the reason we gave mills a run in rnd 23, we needed to see how he performed and recovered without the pressure of a do or die final.

They've done the best they can in assessing his injury / recovery, so we back their decision regardless of the outcome. There's no clear cut answer, and there's a risk either way. But they'll take an educated guess with the info they have available.

Acknowledging it was only North and the Suns, but I do think we've shown enough the last fortnight to be confident in the ability and structure of our side with virtually anyone missing. We need to back the fit players we have available. I just get really nervous taking someone as clearly underdone as Mills into such an important match, when I would hope someone like Warner is in a better position to be fit and available.

Well luckily for your nerves, I reckon we won't know what the coaches go with until about 30 minutes before the bounce :p

(Unless they just flat out don't name Mills and Kennedy in either the team or as emergencies lol... in that case it'd be pretty clear cut!)

Very true, but would be difficult to assess I'd imagine. Which is probably the reason we gave mills a run in rnd 23, we needed to see how he performed and recovered without the pressure of a do or die final.

They've done the best they can in assessing his injury / recovery, so we back their decision regardless of the outcome. There's no clear cut answer, and there's a risk either way. But they'll take an educated guess with the info they have available.

I think this is spot on, giving him the run in R23 was invaluable for the decision on him pulling up for the Final.

I think it'll be on and bodies will be flying til we stamp some authority.

Getting eager with team selection. Would absolutely love a fit Mills and Kennedy around the ball.

Razor not doing us
Hell
Am thinking they will select Mills and there will be no changes. The Chad will warm up with him and be ready to go if Callum is not right. Personally I would prefer to rest Mills.

JPK could not be considered ahead of the PF. That would be 4 weeks which is the minimum.

I liked Campbell and hope we keep him in. Foxy was good when he replaced Mills and his skills as a plug and play utility suit him to the med sub role.
I would of thought we will be unleasing the Chad if he's fit regardless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back