Preview Elimination Final - Sydney Swans vs GWS, 3:20pm, Saturday August 29 @ UTAS, Launceston

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The home and away season has drawn to a close and at the start of the year that’s where plenty of us thought the season would finish up. But for the Swans, who finish 6th on the ladder, the season is still very much alive as we go into an elimination final against our cross town rivals.

Few could have expected our mix of stubborn veterans and youth to have come this far. But the boys just continue to deliver the goods. The Swans pulled together 15 wins - 10 more than last year - and have played some of the gutsiest footy of the season, back-ended with the longest road trip in AFL history. If they see it through to a premiership, they should be awarded two trophies.

Again and again this team has achieved the unexpected. When they headed to Brisbane in the opening round of the season I gave them little hope, but the Lions could barely keep up with them. In round three I expected a mauling against the tigers, but it was the swans who bloodied the reigning premiers. We beat premiership hopefuls the bulldogs in Melbourne, blitzed the Eagles by close to a hundred in Geelong and held on against the red hot cats at home. It's been one hell of a ride.

This is a team that plays with dare - a new look swans outfit that hits targets and runs through the corridor - a team that believes in its capabilities, whether the odds be great or be small.

Buddy's 9 year deal now looks a masterstroke with the competitions most compelling commodity still playing match-winning footy as he draws in on 1000 goals.

The engine room of Parks and JPK keep winning the hard ball after all these years and you sense they are as eager as ever for another red hot tilt. As smarter men than me have opined, Millsy is a Rolls Royce. Even on one leg he's incredible.

Isaac Heeney is surely the leagues most graceful player. And if you thought the teams exploits were a surprise, the contributions of big Tom Hickey have been nothing short of staggering. The lure of September success is clearly revitalizing the lovable big fella.

Who hasn't loved the season of Jake Lloyd, or enjoyed seeing Georgie Hewett run in the midfield? Who hasn't cheered the workmanlike dependability of Harry Cunningham? Who hasn't roared on another Tom Papley goal celebration and appreciated Will Hayward's best season to date?

Much has been written about our brigade of youth. From the quiet determination of Tom McCartin, the pinpoint passing of Errol, the dash of Jmac and the sublime skills of Jordan Dawson (just quietly, my favorite swan) one senses that there'll be plenty more September action in years to come.

What a great team we've got. What a club we support!

Just the team to tackle the Giants. A worthy opponent - and let's face it, we owe them a September belting.

We've shared the spoils in our two games this year. But they're 2-0 over us in finals. Greene, Taranto, Mummy, Whitfield, Kelly - they're a bloody good line up. And when they move the ball fast they're hard to stop. But they're definitely not unbeatable. And if Millsy and JPK can get up for this one (and even if they can't) this could be the start of a decent September campaign for the boys in red and white.

There have been plenty of tough assignments thrown at the team this year ... and they've answered just about all of them. It'd be a brave man to bet against 'em now.

Let's get it done.

Swans by 14.

Last edited:

Just quietly, Sydney should say something if they don't get a choice of where to play.

As it currently stands:
Melbourne will get to choose, and will choose Adelaide Oval
Dogs will get to choose, and will choose GABBA

But purely cuz the AFL want a game in Tasmania, they won't even give us the option

Yes, a team that seems to match up well on us.

Now the big question is though, where do we pick to play them considering we can't play them in NSW, Victoria or WA. Means we can basically play them in QLD, SA or Tasmania.

What is GWS's record at Launceston?
Considering there will definitely be 2 games at Adelaide Oval and apparently now the Dogs are choosing the GABBA, I can't even see us getting an option anymore. We will get shafted to Tasmania........where we have never lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is GWS's record at Launceston?

They have drawn once and lost once. We have only played there once for a win.
Hobart, we have 3 wins and no losses. GWS has 2 wins, a draw, and 2 losses in Hobart.

We have never lost in Tasmania 4 wins from 4 visits. GWS has 2 wins, 2 draws, and 3 losses in Tasmania.

Both the Swans and GWS have a 50% win record at the GABBA.

Hence I can see why there might be a leaning towards playing the game in Tasmania, and more likely in Hobart over Brisbane.

They have drawn once and lost once. We have only played there once for a win.
Hobart, we have 3 wins and no losses. GWS has 2 wins, a draw, and 2 losses in Hobart.

We have never lost in Tasmania 4 wins from 4 visits. GWS has 2 wins, 2 draws, and 3 losses in Tasmania.

Both the Swans and GWS have a 50% win record at the GABBA.

Hence I can see why there might be a leaning towards playing the game in Tasmania, and more likely in Hobart over Brisbane.

Which is the bigger ground as I think bigger grounds help our style of play?

GWS only injury concerns out of their game are Callan Ward/elbow & O'Halloran (leg) but when you've got someone like Coniglio coming on as a medical sub I'm pretty sure if you're a Giants fan those two aren't going to worry you all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back