VFL Elimination final v Carlton - Sunday August 28th @ Vic Park. 1:05pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

The same people who got us to fourth on the ladder.

Were they also the same people who got us to 17th last year? or 5 years of 12th or less finishes in the decade prior? Our AFL team is having a great season JMAC but I’d be very careful reading too much into what kind of scope the list has from this years results.

There is a distinct lack of flair and talent down there, also very small to a man in comparison to other clubs, also I thought Carlton looked much more well drilled in executing their game plan then what our boys did. In fact we often looked like headless chooks who just bombed and hoped for the best.
Carlton always had players positioned for out let recieves or switch kicks never over committing to the contest, had spares getting back in defence and used the ball well on rebound to open play and have forwards in space.

Were they also the same people who got us to 17th last year? or 5 years of 12th or less finishes in the decade prior? Our AFL team is having a great season JMAC but I’d be very careful reading too much into what kind of scope the list has from this years results.

There is a distinct lack of flair and talent down there, also very small to a man in comparison to other clubs, also I thought Carlton looked much more well drilled in executing their game plan then what our boys did. In fact we often looked like headless chooks who just bombed and hoped for the best.
Carlton always had players positioned for out let recieves or switch kicks never over committing to the contest, had spares getting back in defence and used the ball well on rebound to open play and have forwards in space.
Today’s result means bugger all.

Because a we have won a silly amount of games where we have comeback in and won by a kick Or 2. This is unsustainable moving into following seasons even the coach has raised concerns around it. It’s a great ride and the momentum can carry you to a flag but after this year is done there are some major flaws in our game that will be exposed long term.

pendles sidebum Elliott mihocek Howe etc are all getting on. 2 years max for a few of them, replacing that quality is not easy especially when you don’t want to rebuild through draft.

Draper looks miles off it, was Harrison even out there today?

In terms of young talents in the vfl Henry and macrae the only two to standout the rest all look non descript role types or flawed.
In his first hit out in 4 months, I thought Krueger looked ok. The fact is, if we play at least 3 more games, then in all likelihood we are going to have to call on some them before our season is done.

Didn’t think I saw or heard him mentioned. Let’s hope he is all he is cracked up to be been a lot of big wraps on him Dangerfield like explosiveness was the last I read.
As someone who's seen every game of his, the Dangerfield comparison made by one poster is unfounded and actually pretty unfair on the kid. Nowhere near that, and I actually like him.

In his first hit out in 4 months, I thought Krueger looked ok. The fact is, if we play at least 3 more games, then in all likelihood we are going to have to call on some them before our season is done.

Krueger needs to protect his himself more. His kamikaze style isn't going to see him play many consecutive games of AFL footy!!

He worked into it after a poor first half imo. But is a vfl player some players perform well at this level then every time they step up can’t bring the same level of performance he is one.
You have to pick a massive deficiencies in CB, to be categorical in this opinion. But there isn’t one.
His skills are fine as is his effort and application, once he gets confidence he will comfortably achieve AFL standard.
But he may have run out of time at Coll.

What are the big question marks on our direction?

Overall talent on the list, old players retiring in next few years and replacing that output. We also can’t keep losing in all statistical measures and steal victory from the jaws of defeat as a long term gameplan.

We are defying the odds currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked like most of them were all ready for mad Monday.

Cal is a step ahead of most VFL talent but a step behind AFL.

Great to see Kreuger back. If he dodges injury, should be a player.

Henry looked good at times, but terrible screaming at his teammate.

Bianco - meh

Ruscoe - I don't see what others do

Will Kelly doesn't seem to have enough agro

Carmichael will be great with a couple of preseasons

Fin likely sub next week.

Overall talent on the list, old players retiring in next few years and replacing that output. We also can’t keep losing in all statistical measures and steal victory from the jaws of defeat as a long term gameplan.

We are defying the odds currently.
We’ve been winning the most important statistical measure.

The scoreboard.

You have to pick a massive deficiencies in CB, to be categorical in this opinion. But there isn’t one.
His skills are fine as is his effort and application, once he gets confidence he will comfortably achieve AFL standard.
But he may have run out of time at Coll.

I have 6 years of evidence to form my categorical opinion and he has been given more opportunities then most players in his position.

He is too small to be effective vs the AFL role equivalents, he is bullied in the midfield at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back