List Mgmt. End of season trades and delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

I just watched that video and I really miss Harper :( I'm really hoping he has another good preseason (the club said he did last one) but starts 2014 strongly and cements his spot until he retires (based on form not on favourtism).

Do not trade!

Wow people seriously want to trade Harper because he's had a poor 3rd season on the list.

I don't care what anyone would offer. Not for sale.

Big call.

I am also in the keep Harper camp and have faith he will turn it around, but would be prepared to consider offers if other clubs were prepared to trade overs for him.

Big call.

I am also in the keep Harper camp and have faith he will turn it around, but would be prepared to consider offers if other clubs were prepared to trade overs for him.

What are overs though?

You to the draft hoping for a ridiculously gifted talent. Then hope they physically develop.

We got one. He did. Jeremy Cameron or Harley Bennell would have to be on the table for me to consider parting with Kieran. And that's only if he wanted to go.

Seriously. The kid has the tools to be our Stevie J, he's committed to being part of our club thereby buys into the culture. No way would I give him up.

Talent + Loyalty = no deal.

I believe the coaching staff are enforcing a "physical readiness" policy, where they are not playing anyone who they judge has insufficient size or tank. When Scott started, we were forced to do that and our early picks were slotted straight into the team. Now, however, we see McKenzie had to wait two years and Garner may have to wait the same.

Also, with the demand for more midfield rotations and the interchange cap being introduced, the team cannot afford to carry Harper as a non marking, low touch getting finisher. Even if he was amazing in that role. He needs more size, tank and to find more ball. Probably, thinking out loud here.

What are overs though?

You to the draft hoping for a ridiculously gifted talent. Then hope they physically develop.

We got one. He did. Jeremy Cameron or Harley Bennell would have to be on the table for me to consider parting with Kieran. And that's only if he wanted to go.

Seriously. The kid has the tools to be our Stevie J, he's committed to being part of our club thereby buys into the culture. No way would I give him up.

Talent + Loyalty = no deal.

Really? I would trade Harper for Cameron and Bennell in a heartbeat (won't happen of course). One is still prospective, the other two stars already so to me that would be a no-brainer, loyalty or otherwise. I would say those two are clearly overs.

But yep, I would not trade Harper for a draft pick which is another hit and hope when we already have talent in Harper who appears to have the tools. Not sure he will get to Stevie J levels, but it would be great if you are correct.

He has that finishing ability to be so dangerous, and he knows it too! One of only a couple in our side that you wouldn't mind them being hungry around the sticks.

I'm not sure if it was a tactic to try and get him around and up into the midfield more but we don't need him there, keep him on a half forward flank and then push Adams up to a wing with Sierra or wright out.

A forward line of
Thomas Petrie Tarrant
Harper Black Harvey

Damn! Skill, pace on the flanks and scoring ability all over it. Add in wellsy off a wing and that's enough fire power to let the rest of the team play defense!

I believe the coaching staff are enforcing a "physical readiness" policy, where they are not playing anyone who they judge has insufficient size or tank. When Scott started, we were forced to do that and our early picks were slotted straight into the team. Now, however, we see McKenzie had to wait two years and Garner may have to wait the same.

Also, with the demand for more midfield rotations and the interchange cap being introduced, the team cannot afford to carry Harper as a non marking, low touch getting finisher. Even if he was amazing in that role. He needs more size, tank and to find more ball. Probably, thinking out loud here.

But Garner is in right now and he's built like a pube?

Just throwing it out there but Daniel Cross as a mature age rookie/ late draft pick. A 200 gamer who averages 23 disposals ( 9 contested per game) who we could virtually get for zilch.

I don't now see the point of Cross or Tuck now that we are maturing as an inside unit. Unless we trade out the likes of Greenwood I think we have enough reasonably ready depth to cover any issues.

Three years ago? Yeah, maybe.

Harper is no Stevie J & never will be!!!

He has the talent to be a very good footballer, but just cannot find the ball. Averages about 9 touches & 1 goal a game in the VFL. Averages even less possies/goals at AFL level.

He has one more year to show what he has got or he should be gone!

Would take a second round pick for him if offered this year & use it on Dayle Garlett who is already a better player than Harper.

Don't think any club would offer a second rounder anyway...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has the talent to be a very good footballer, but just cannot find the ball. Averages about 9 touches & 1 goal a game in the VFL. Averages even less possies/goals at AFL level.

Would take a second round pick for him if offered this year & use it on Dayle Garlett who is already a better player than Harper.

Where was Stevie J's career in 2004?

Are you aware Geelong tried to palm him off to Collingwood in 2006?

And Kieran has 2 more years. Or that's what his contract says.

I don't now see the point of Cross or Tuck now that we are maturing as an inside unit. Unless we trade out the likes of Greenwood I think we have enough reasonably ready depth to cover any issues.

Three years ago? Yeah, maybe.

I was thinking as insurance like Richmond did with Petterd.

Garlett is playing WAFL against largely non AFL players. Yes he's done well for one year but he had a lot to come back from. I'm simply not sold on him.

Harper has real promise.

Where was Stevie J's career in 2004?

Are you aware Geelong tried to palm him off to Collingwood in 2006?

And Kieran has 2 more years. Or that's what his contract says.
Just because Stevie J turned it around... doesn't automatically mean Harper will...

Sometimes players came along show something early & are never seen again... we can't expect to get every early draft pick spot on...

If he cannot break into the senior team & cement a spot next year, remembering he will have Garner & hopefully Garlett also looking to play his position, then we should be looking to trade him...

G
Garlett is playing WAFL against largely non AFL players. Yes he's done well for one year but he had a lot to come back from. I'm simply not sold on him.

Harper has real promise.
Garlett was a top 10 prospect last year on talent.

He has been killing it in WAFL this year & will definitely get drafted (probably mid-late 2nd round)

If he were playing VFL this year, I reckon he would be doing a lot better than Harps, who has been useless in the magoos...

I don't want to cut Harps now, he deserves at least next year to show something, but if a club wants to offer a mid second rounder I reckon we'd be mad not to trade...

Dayle Garlett stats for 2013:

Average disposals: 16.3
Ave. marks: 6
Ave. tackles 1.7
Ave. goals: 2.6

Season high disposals of 29
Season high goals 6 (5 goals 3 times)

That's pretty good for a 19 year old in the WAFL playing half forward.

Ave. tackles 1.7

Season high disposals of 29
Season high goals 6 (5 goals 3 times)

That's pretty good for a 19 year old in the WAFL playing half forward.

Want.

I very much like that he has an extra year of growth on him than a normal draftee. Less wait time, more kick ass time. We would have essentially two first round picks from last years draft fighting to come into the team next year.

wonder why he has gone backwards this year? is that an indication of the coaching staff?

Personally I think they tried to take a shortcut with his development, and it has come back to bite them on the ass.

They played him until he was so out of form, and so down on confidence that he is now barely VFL level.

Ave. tackles 1.7

Is that anywhere near 3 goals a game?

Harper is very patchy from what I've seen of him but that's hardly unusual for a kid. Some settle quick and some just take time.

Have a feeling that we'll be talking to one another through the trade period.

Is that anywhere near 3 goals a game?
Don't quote me on it bit I think it's about .6 of the way between 2 and 3.

Harper is very patchy from what I've seen of him but that's hardly unusual for a kid. Some settle quick and some just take time.
Very true.

Have a feeling that we'll be talking to one another through the trade period.
What do you reckon the Blues would want from us?

Would not be trading Harper. His young, showed us he can play at AFL level, Good Size and Height, great goal sense. He showed us all this so far at the age of 21. The only thing he lacks as a player is that he can't find the pill enough, easy fix imo, when he gets his fitness up to the stage where he can consistently run out full game, you'll all notice that he'll find the ball more.

Its only Fitness people.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. End of season trades and delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back