List Mgmt. End of season trades and delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Would not be trading Harper. His young, showed us he can play at AFL level, Good Size and Height, great goal sense. He showed us all this so far at the age of 21. The only thing he lacks as a player is that he can't find the pill enough, easy fix imo, when he gets his fitness up to the stage where he can consistently run out full game, you'll all notice that he'll find the ball more.

Its only Fitness people.
Well, this is not exactly true.

In a recent article he stated that he has been working hard with the coaches watching his vision to try and fix the issue of getting himself in a better position to get his hands on the pill. He has a habit of being where the ball isn't nor where it is likely to go. Once he figures this out he should be fine because he has all the attributes to be a successful player, but he does need to figure it out.

Don't quote me on it bit I think it's about .6 of the way between 2 and 3.

What do you reckon the Blues would want from us?

Just kidding with the 2.6 as it comes across as 2 goals 6 points. :)

A tall Back or Forward, doesn't matter as we'd like both if we could accommodate.

Our KPP stocks haven't come along as we would have liked and I think we may just be tyre-kicking with Watts, but that's just my opinion.
Therefore Hansen and Tarrant would be the most obvious players we may forge a win/win from. North won't entertain of putting Black on the table though.
I'm not convinced with Tarrant but there may be upside with him. Oh, there is also Delaney but..............

I see North looking for more outside speed but not sure Carlton have something that will fit the bill though.
Maybe a three way somewhere along the line? Who knows?

Obviously, I'm not as au fait with your list as you guys are but would you look at trading one of your work-man mids?
North just seem to be a little top heavy with similar types. Could be a good year for you to balance through these types.

Well, this is not exactly true.

In a recent article he stated that he has been working hard with the coaches watching his vision to try and fix the issue of getting himself in a better position to get his hands on the pill. He has a habit of being where the ball isn't nor where it is likely to go. Once he figures this out he should be fine because he has all the attributes to be a successful player, but he does need to figure it out.

Once he gets fitter he can get to those positions on more occasions hence he gets the ball more.

Its only Fitness people and maybe just maybe a wee little bit of bad positioning.

I'd keep Harper, we won't get fair value (perceived) after his rubbish 2013.

Delaney is our 1 bit of currency that I would trade. Saints 2nd rounder and Dal Santo for our 2nd Rounder and Delaney. Use that 2nd pick to get the gangsta from WA. We will be the fastest team in the comp!

Delaney is our 1 bit of currency that I would trade. Saints 2nd rounder and Dal Santo for our 2nd Rounder and Delaney. Use that 2nd pick to get the gangsta from WA. We will be the fastest team in the comp!

I don't get this Delaney for Dal Santo thing.

Just kidding with the 2.6 as it comes across as 2 goals 6 points. :)

A tall Back or Forward, doesn't matter as we'd like both if we could accommodate.

Our KPP stocks haven't come along as we would have liked and I think we may just be tyre-kicking with Watts, but that's just my opinion.
Therefore Hansen and Tarrant would be the most obvious players we may forge a win/win from. North won't entertain of putting Black on the table though.
I'm not convinced with Tarrant but there may be upside with him. Oh, there is also Delaney but..............

I see North looking for more outside speed but not sure Carlton have something that will fit the bill though.
Maybe a three way somewhere along the line? Who knows?

Obviously, I'm not as au fait with your list as you guys are but would you look at trading one of your work-man mids?
North just seem to be a little top heavy with similar types. Could be a good year for you to balance through these types.
It is likely the only KPP we would consider moving on this year would be Luke Delaney. Tarrant seems set in the coaches mind as a key plank to our forward line for the next few years, considering Petrie is only a few seasons away from pulling up stumps. Hansen has been in magnificent form for the last 10 weeks, is contracted and would require some serious return to even consider moving on considering the amount of development gone into him. I highly doubt the club would look at it this year. Last year was another story.

As for mids, if you guys are looking for someone who likes to get their hands dirty in the guts, then you could do worse than targeting Levi Greenwood. He has come back into the squad with Swallow out but he is one of the guys who floats around the fringes due the Ziebell, Swallow, Cunnington and Wells playing in his position more often than not. He may be keen for a more regular gig, although his disposal can sometimes be circumspect.

You are right that we need outside talent, and good outsiders are costly. Not sure we are willing to pay via trade for that this year, although we do have the coin to pay one well. Outside our current 22 there is really only Harper and Garner that can be considered somewhat outside types, but Luke McDonald has the pace and skill to fill that role, Brad McKenzie is certainly dangerous with his disposal if not his pace. I think that is why we are reportedly looking very closely at Dayle Garlett.

It is likely the only KPP we would consider moving on this year would be Luke Delaney. Tarrant seems set in the coaches mind as a key plank to our forward line for the next few years, considering Petrie is only a few seasons away from pulling up stumps. Hansen has been in magnificent form for the last 10 weeks, is contracted and would require some serious return to even consider moving on considering the amount of development gone into him. I highly doubt the club would look at it this year. Last year was another story.

As for mids, if you guys are looking for someone who likes to get their hands dirty in the guts, then you could do worse than targeting Levi Greenwood. He has come back into the squad with Swallow out but he is one of the guys who floats around the fringes due the Ziebell, Swallow, Cunnington and Wells playing in his position more often than not. He may be keen for a more regular gig, although his disposal can sometimes be circumspect.

You are right that we need outside talent, and good outsiders are costly. Not sure we are willing to pay via trade for that this year, although we do have the coin to pay one well. Outside our current 22 there is really only Harper and Garner that can be considered somewhat outside types, but Luke McDonald has the pace and skill to fill that role, Brad McKenzie is certainly dangerous with his disposal if not his pace. I think that is why we are reportedly looking very closely at Dayle Garlett.

The closer you look the more you may find that you may not be happy with.
Just reading between the lines on Garlett as I have no inside word on him, but he may present a risk that many won't wish to take up.
Hope to be wrong and for the kid to settle and produce great football but he may be a type that really needs to be grounded. Uprooting him may help and it may hinder.

I see us getting to a stage that we won't be afraid to trade where a benefit exists.
Free Agency is slowly going to shake us about with our notions of what it is to be loyal and I see players being more open to trades without fear of being labeled a traitor.
This year may just be the start of clubs being aggressive at the trade table and if one is over 22 and not part of what you'd call best 22, then trading to favour your list should be welcome by club and supporter.
Carlton would now be regretting hanging onto players for longer than need be, just for those same players kicking around in the VFL.

Dayle Garlett stats for 2013:

Average disposals: 16.3
Ave. marks: 6
Ave. tackles 1.7
Ave. goals: 2.6

Season high disposals of 29
Season high goals 6 (5 goals 3 times)

That's pretty good for a 19 year old in the WAFL playing half forward.

However the key is to examine the stats.

He averages 16.3 disposals but in only 4 of those games has he got above 20 possessions in a game and only two of those games were against top 4 teams.

He averages 1.6 goals per game but he only scored above 2 goals per game on 6 occasions ( and each occasion kicked 4 or more) but only one of those games was against top 4 sides.

In his 2 games against the top side by a canter, Claremont, he has got 35 possessions and scored 2.3.

In his 2 games against the second best side, West Perth he scored 2.3 and got 35 possessions.

Which is to say that against the best sides he ha been held and against the weaker excelled. All that glitters....

Re
However the key is to examine the stats.

He averages 16.3 disposals but in only 4 of those games has he got above 20 possessions in a game and only two of those games were against top 4 teams.

He averages 1.6 goals per game but he only scored above 2 goals per game on 6 occasions ( and each occasion kicked 4 or more) but only one of those games was against top 4 sides.

In his 2 games against the top side by a canter, Claremont, he has got 35 possessions and scored 2.3.

In his 2 games against the second best side, West Perth he scored 2.3 and got 35 possessions.

Which is to say that against the best sides he ha been held and against the weaker excelled. All that glitters....
Regardless, as a 19 year old he is having a good season against men playing in the WAFL. If Harps was doing that in the VFL we would be blowing jizzum all over Arden Street.

I wonder what his midfield time is like? Any idea? He was seen as a little podgy and slightly unfit as an U/18 and I am curious to determine if he really has knuckled down.

Some of these Harper calls are hilarious. Player X didn't play this year so he has all of a sudden become trade bait, out of favour, no good. Did anyone actually watch him play last year? You want to get rid of someone with that outside potency? Seriously, what would we trade to get in something like that?

His endurance is just not good to take in along with all the other mids who can't run out games. He just can't play until his tank is built up.

He has worked hard over the pre-season to build on his fitness (he was only playing 59% ToG last year), he has struggled with the load, he will have another solid endurance building pre-season and they will build his strength and endurance up.

Harper is going to be icing on the cake, he kicked 25 goals last year only playing 59% ToG, get him up to 85% ToG at the same potency and that is 36 goals, if we can make it as a top 4 side without him then when he comes into the side he is going to give us that firepower to blow teams off the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Del Santo is a free agent. We don't need to trade for him.

The only trade I can see being made is Keys Delaney for GWS's first pick with possibly Sierakowski thrown in as a sweetener along with Anthony. Everybody else who wears a blue and white jumper is that good they still deserve to be at the club. That's why we are top 2 at the minute. :stern look

Dal Santo has another year on his contract I thought. Free Agent or not, he can't walk without St Kilda getting compensation.

The compensation doesn't come from us though. It's granted by the league.

Harper is no Stevie J & never will be!!!

He has the talent to be a very good footballer, but just cannot find the ball. Averages about 9 touches & 1 goal a game in the VFL. Averages even less possies/goals at AFL level.

He has one more year to show what he has got or he should be gone!

Would take a second round pick for him if offered this year & use it on Dayle Garlett who is already a better player than Harper.

Don't think any club would offer a second rounder anyway...

can you use the report button like a "notlike" button or is it for something else?:)

Some of these Harper calls are hilarious. Player X didn't play this year so he has all of a sudden become trade bait, out of favour, no good. Did anyone actually watch him play last year? You want to get rid of someone with that outside potency? Seriously, what would we trade to get in something like that?

His endurance is just not good to take in along with all the other mids who can't run out games. He just can't play until his tank is built up.

He has worked hard over the pre-season to build on his fitness (he was only playing 59% ToG last year), he has struggled with the load, he will have another solid endurance building pre-season and they will build his strength and endurance up.

Harper is going to be icing on the cake, he kicked 25 goals last year only playing 59% ToG, get him up to 85% ToG at the same potency and that is 36 goals, if we can make it as a top 4 side without him then when he comes into the side he is going to give us that firepower to blow teams off the park.

This x 100 :thumbsu:

Garlett wont be allowed anywhere near our club.... and unless he gets in the boxing ring for a good 10 rounds with Levi every training session i dont want him around either....

St kilda wont let Dal leave... they dont want to make the same mistake as melbourne....
Harper has no right to get frustrated... there are guys who are clocking up near the 30's at VFL level and cant break into the side..... he needs to get to around 20 and 1 to be considered.... he tackles well though, does tendto give away a few frees as we all know.... not trading material we need him to come good.....

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. End of season trades and delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back