AFL Autopsy Essendon v Melbourne, Melbourne by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is we have no lead up forward/s, and no small forward/s. For some reason the players have lost all ability and/or confidence to create space and lower the eyes when moving forward. Even before tonight, we would have to be the worst skilled team for when the final ball is distributed inside 50.

The forwards don't create space, they all stay in one big clump and the mids are forced to kick it there. Melbourne defenders had no problem punching it away as they were altogether defending as a unit.

Just dumb football.

It's not even so much losing, given we were never going to win the premiership this year. It's just the way we have been playing. Uninspired, uninterested and generally without development of the 3-5 year players.

I know the argument's been run and done, but would love to see if we could swing a certain someone from the backline into the forwardline that has shown flashes of brilliance when thrown forward in the past - surely a big body down there will give Joey a bit more freedom to not be scragged at every opportunity, and a bit of pack busting will create opportunities for others.

Melbourne were paying $2.95 before the game.. best value bet of the round. I can't bet against us.. but Melbourne were always a sniff.. which is the problem..

First quarter we dominate.. Melbourne has a shot late to go within a goal..
We get 33 points up in a low scoring game.. and then stop playing flowing football and go back to slow chip chip crap

Our club is mediocre and I'm not enjoying it. Last year I was proud of the games we played and the effort and heart we showed.. this year I have been disgusted by most of it.

Week 1 was the high point and it has been all downhill from there.

Sloppy skills, poor effort, bad match day coaching, zero heart factor.. low scoring, ugly and boring football that is rewarded with scrappy wins against bottom 4 teams.. just pathetic all round.

We are a bottom four side.

Daniher is not the problem.. the fact that a 17 GAME young forward is our KEY marking option.. and is generating 3-4 shots on goal a game.. should be enough to have us excited about the future..

His kicking will come.. and if not.. we have a Richo on our hands..

I agree, people are too hard on young Joe.

He is our only key forward and is trying his hardest. Its almost unfair that a player so young and with not much strength has so much pressure to be the only goal kicking option for his team.

He will improve. What he needs to do this summer is hit the gym but more importantly just practice goal kicking.

Remember the great Mathew llyod? His goal kicking was poor and criticized during the 95-98 seasons. Once he worked out a technique he could use he became a star. I believe that Joe being the type of person who geniuenly loves playing football and playing for the bombers that he will try very hard to improve his kicking.

If you guys want to blame some one blame our over rated second tier hack players like TBC, Myers, Stanton, Melksham etc

It's not even so much losing, given we were never going to win the premiership this year. It's just the way we have been playing. Uninspired, uninterested and generally without development of the 3-5 year players.

I know the argument's been run and done, but would love to see if we could swing a certain someone from the backline into the forwardline that has shown flashes of brilliance when thrown forward in the past - surely a big body down there will give Joey a bit more freedom to not be scragged at every opportunity, and a bit of pack busting will create opportunities for others.
Yeah.. at least put a little bit of the fear of god into defender backing into the space..

But we don't change a single thing... ever.. just rinse and repeat the shame bullshit each and every week..

Ashby's games have been better than Melksham's. Some saying trade TBC, ffs he missed a lot of the pre-season. Took important grabs but just farked up two very easy shots.

Daniher's marking was a problem tonight but yeah he'll learn.
To me though it's very difficult to knock players as we have no idea how things are effecting them. Three of our best players tonight were Zaka, Goddard and Z Merrett.

MEMO to mods: The game thread on main board is a farking poor with so many ASADA/drug references.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL look at the fixture for the rest of the season

Essendon vs Adelaide
Geelong vs Essendon
Port Adelaide vs Essendon
Essendon vs Collingwood
Western Bulldogs vs Essendon
Sydney vs Essendon
Richmond vs Essendon
Essendon vs West Coast
Essendon vs Gold Coast
Carlton vs Essendon

Bolded are the games we can pencil in as a win.

Ashby's games have been better than Melksham's. Some saying trade TBC, ffs he missed a lot of the pre-season. Took important grabs but just farked up two very easy shots.

Daniher's marking was a problem tonight but yeah he'll learn.
To me though it's very difficult to knock players as we have no idea how things are effecting them. Three of our best players tonight were Zaka, Goddard and Z Merrett.

MEMO to mods: The game thread on main board is a farking poor with so many ASADA/drug references.
Shocked...

Definitely a midfield problem - not enough skill, or match awareness. Anyone who can cop that defeat is kidding themselves. Chappy is giving us nothing, and the same players make the same mistakes, time after time.

Brave effort by us. We only had 2 more days break then them and managed to get run down by 30 points at the G.

My anger has gone and all I can do now is laugh. Waiting for our excuses this week. Can't wait till we start our super fitness run late in the season.

And to top off a shit game for us there's the usual "playing an absolute spud into a superstar"..

Dunn. Check
Pedersen. Check
Jamar. Check

Ah good, we made sure that was covered then.

**** sake

What shits me the most is Port have achived way more in 2 years then we have since the new coaching regime came in.
Because they actually hired the best coach, and not the most popular name amongst the supporter base (which is what Port somewhat did with their previous coaching hire in Matthew Primus, that went well for them...).

And to top off a shit game for us there's the usual "playing an absolute spud into a superstar"..

Dunn. Check
Pedersen. Check
Jamar. Check

Ah good, we made sure that was covered then.

**** sake
Yep, we're the masters of playing players, and clubs, into form. Have been for a long time.

it's certainly good enough to compete with any of those, we more than hold our own in the middle when we play most of those sides, sometimes we dominate, but the forwards lead to all the wrong places and the ball just pings straight back out.

Everyone is hanging shit in Melksham, but he should have hit one of our forwards on the chest in the square with an absolute bullet, but he (i think it was ryder, may have been TBC) tried to cheat and get out the back and it hit Dunn on the chest). Melksham was awful tonight, but that's not on him, that's 100% not having any forward IQ and no understanding of your teammates

This makes zero sense. Melksham was shit because he doesn't work hard enough and has VFL level decision making ability. His skill level is also ridiculously inconsistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Essendon v Melbourne, Melbourne by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back