Preview Essendon vs North Melbourne, Etihad, Saturday 22/07/17 @ 1:45 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying I hope he never plays again is probably not quite right. Do I want him to play again? Of course, but I know that if we play him, his selection will cost us matches because there are other players who can play his role better. I'd rather we play someone else in better form instead of someone who is a shadow of their former selves. I'd like him to come back and play the way he used to, but he can't so I'd rather he retire and we move on with different players.

If we play finals Jobe will be important. We're not at the stage of having to rush kids in to get games, that was last year. Now it's just about settling the team as a whole. Next year we'll hopefully see a lot more of these kids.

Travis Cloke.

When was this? He was a pretty permanent fixture for Collingwood since making his debut, until last year when Collingwood treated him poorly.

The point I'm getting at is, that in this case in particular, it's crazy to drop someone for one bad game in front of the sticks. Before Friday night, he had only kicked 4 behinds in his 8 games

Crucial game this one. At the moment there are 8 teams above us and they all play each other next week.* We will make up ground on at least four of them if we win...

*pending WC v Fremantle

Ins: Watson, Mutch
Outs: Bird, Green

Watson for Bird is a no brainer.

Mutch rewarded for his consistency. Tippa and Fanta forward + Colyer, Mutch rotating will do the trick for me.

Mutch for Green? Why? If anyone (don't think Green will be dropped anyway) Begley can play forward, been emergency last four weeks and looked better than Mutch on weekend. Mutch is a mid anyway. Strange suggestion tbh

I have 100% confidence in Woosha and the selection panel. Will support any changes.

Just hope they put as much effort into breaking down the Kangas game plan as they did against the Saints. And nullify their strengths. Because that is exactly what they will be trying to do to us.

Mutch for Green? Why? If anyone (don't think Green will be dropped anyway) Begley can play forward, been emergency last four weeks and looked better than Mutch on weekend. Mutch is a mid anyway. Strange suggestion tbh

Begley only touched it 12 times on the weekend. Against the bottom side I don't think thats enough. His form might have tapered off over the past few weeks.

Not too fussed which one plays but I think its time we rotated another kid in to give them a taste.

Mids resting forward > Green.

Nah, we arent in a position to flirt. Just play the best 22 to win the game.

Im hesitant to take Bird out. He was exceptional in the centre bounce area.

Watson will come back in, but what concerns me at Etihad is his lack of pace and how quickly the ball bounces around. Jobe becomes a liability often at this venue.

My changes: no changes

What i think will happen:

Bird out
Watson in

Green was good and plays a different way to Laverde and Begley, so dont see that swap happening.

I think Laverde's form will be putting pressure on Stewart, who despite inaccurate on the weekend, i feel like he is getting better every week.

Our last victory in a 'home' game against North Melbourne/Kangaroos was...

Round 16 2001.

The 'Comeback' Game. It's been that long.

14 out of 18 overall since that game, including the 2014 final. A bogey team of epic proportions.

That's depressing. However so was the record about losing our last 10 Friday night games before our win against St.Kilda.

Hopefully we can manage to turn up to this game and give Norf the hiding they so richly deserve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it is Stewart that comes out for Laverde after the radar failed Friday night.

Goddard may be rested too and Watson gets a second week off.

Out: Goddard (rested), Stewart (stiff but gets a chance to straighten up)
In: Laverde, Langford
Crazy stuff

Our last victory in a 'home' game against North Melbourne/Kangaroos was...

Round 16 2001.

The 'Comeback' Game. It's been that long.

14 out of 18 overall since that game, including the 2014 final. A bogey team of epic proportions.

Heaps of young players these days which got me pondering, here is our list from the 2014 finals loss...
Screenshot_20170716-211457.png
No real point other than around half our current side played then, and nostalgia is interesting yo.

Heaps of young players these days which got me pondering, here is our list from the 2014 finals loss...
View attachment 393121
No real point other than around half our current side is currently playing from then, and nostalgia is interesting yo.
Well it's interesting.

Roughly;
Full Back:
Hooker vs. Hartley
Small Defenders:
Steinberg, Licka, Pig vs. McGrath, Kelly, Irish
Mid/Onball:
Stanton, Hocking, Howlett vs. Zerrett, Parish, Colyer
Small Forwards:
Zerrett, Chapman, Colyer vs. Walla, Fanta, Green
Full Forward:
TBC vs. Hooker
Ruck:
Ryder vs. TBC

I forget if Dempsey was forward or back that year? If back then it's a change of structure.
Dempsey vs. Stewart

Fantasia omitted. Times, they change.

Well it's interesting.

Roughly;
Full Back:
Hooker vs. Hartley
Small Defenders:
Mid/Onball:
Small Forwards:
Full Forward:
TBC vs. Hooker
Ruck:
Ryder vs. TBC

I forget if Dempsey was forward or back that year? If back then it's a change of structure.
Dempsey vs. Stewart
He was back. Dempsey only went forward a bit in 2015.

Last edited:
Well it's interesting.

Roughly;
Full Back:
Hooker vs. Hartley
Small Defenders:
Mid/Onball:
Small Forwards:
Full Forward:
TBC vs. Hooker
Ruck:
Ryder vs. TBC

Dempsey vs. Stewart
Wow cool.

Could we have another tall in Laverde in place of the small Green? Would that have any chance of working? or would his defender run off him

Four talls can work if they are mobile. Hooker is the only one of the four who isn't mobile. West Coast used it to great effect only a few years ago.

It's only a matter of time before we find out.

Fantasia omitted. Times, they change.

He was back. Dempsey only went forward a bit in 2015.
Ah yep, I remember now. Sort of mid-year last ditch attempt before he was delisted. So a bit of a change in structure then.

I think Hooker is better than Hartley down back, and Ryder better than TBC in the ruck, but overall I think the team we have now is better than the team we had then, and that's without taking into account any of the guys that haven't had games this year for one reason or another.

For the love of god, can we just start winning these games we're expected to?

In the context of season, it's our most important game ytd. We're fortunate to be in a position again where we jump back into 8 if we get the job done.

I really hope we treat Norf with respect & acknowledge that this game is season defining.

This club needs to start banking points consistently against sides below us & until we do, we're going nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back