IN: Laverde, Watson

Kelly Hurley Baguley
Gleeson Hartley McKenna
Goddard Watson Zakka
Green Hooker Colyer
Stewart Daniher Fantasia

Bellcho Heppell Z.Merrett

Bench from: McGrath Parish Tippa Laverde
Myers will not be left out after his best game of the year. He was awesome the other night and a contested beast. His spot is locked unless we get smashed by Norf in and around the contest.

Myers will not be left out after his best game of the year. He was awesome the other night and a contested beast. His spot is locked unless we get smashed by Norf in and around the contest.

yeah your probably right - maybe a straight swap Watson for Goddard who could do with a freshen up

Out: Green.

In: Watson.

Not like for like I know but think we can carry an extra big body against North who have no real pace to worry about. If we extract the ball from the contests we will win this game in a canter.

Watson can rest forward if needed.

May be a unpopular opinion but I think Stants comes in for Parish.
Dropping Parish or resting him?

Don't see why Parish would be dropped.

I know. Haha. Begley has been named emergency 4 weeks in a row. There's no chance Laverde gets picked before him.
Wouldn't be 100% on that. Laverde was in sensational form yesterday - form that can jump queues.

Having said that, he probably won't get picked.

Hahaha the melts when Laverde doesn't get picked will be a sight
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him play another game or 2 in the VFL to build some consistency before he comes in. They've done that with Langford, Begley, Myers and TBC. I, like most, would be talking about what our best team is going forward.

Last edited:
Laverde won't play against North.
He needs to build his match fitness in the VFL.
Corrigan (VFL) coach directly after the match against Northern Blues mentions this by saying Laverde's next challenge is to get his body conditioning up to be able to play four quarters of AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it is Stewart that comes out for Laverde after the radar failed Friday night.

Goddard may be rested too and Watson gets a second week off.

Out: Goddard (rested), Stewart (stiff but gets a chance to straighten up)
In: Laverde, Langford
There is zero chance Stewart will miss. Besides the inaccuracy the game against the saints is exactly what the coaches want. Laverde stays in VFL to build his tank.

I'd take any win to be honest. North haven't been bad at Etihad all year. They may be 17th, but they've arguably choked at least 3-4 games this year.

I'm expecting a competitive North
Yeah North's ladder position is incredibly deceptive especially if they set up behind the ball like the lions did.

Minimal changes for our guys going into a game we should win, and win easily. If there is anything the guys have learnt from the past month it is that you simply cannot just turn up. Hooker mentioned in a comment, Woosha has made a note in press conferences, time to deliver on your word EFC.

North Melbourne will actually be a good test for us, they have a very comparable inside midfield brigaide, Ziebell, Cunnington, Andrew Swallow. We need the (inside/) outside guys to play a big part this week. Merrett, Zaka, Parish to use the ball efficiently and deliver inside the forward 50. They play a man on man defence very well but we have the edge here with Daniher, Stewart and Hooker monstering the much shorter Tarrant, Thompson and a variety of McDonald/Nielson/Mullet.

Our defenders will need to work hard and help each other out as good as they have been, Brown and Daw 1:1 would be a nightmare for Hurley & Hartley. Expecting McKenna to have a prominent role rebounding from D50 this week.

As an aside, this is surely the week that Andy Mac gets more game time up the ground? The young and inexperienced Roos small forwards (bar Thomas who Baguley will mark) are easily accounted for by Gleeson, McKenna & Kelly.

Changes for mine are fairly easy. Craig Bird did his role but makes way for our returning champion, Jobe Watson after a week off. Josh Green is skating on very thin ice (once again) whilst his tight calf/hamstring could very well be a blessing in disguise to give Josh Begley a go as a like for like small forward.
Would be very tempted to give Parish some time in the VFL but he is the future and has shown signs of returning to his best the past fortnight despite playing limited time through the midfield. Stanton was dominant yesterday.
Can people please temper there expectations on Laverde. He really is like a shiny new toy returning. He struggled to run out quarters yesterday, imagine how he would blow up playing such a high tempo style we do in the seniors? Leave him on the slow burn for 2018. Langford can keep building, put in more dominating performances is required to step up to senior level imho.

Lacking in the backline: speed and elite users

wait what?

Not happy with McGrath? with McKenna? with Kelly who has elite decision making?
We have arguably the two best kicking KPD in the game and you don't trust any of the back 6 to deliver the ball from defence?

sarcasm meter is switched off but I really hope you are joking

I know. Haha. Begley has been named emergency 4 weeks in a row. There's no chance Laverde gets picked before him.
Laverde won't be picked to play next week most likely. The only reason for that, is his need to build fitness and confidence in his body.

Begley, nor any incumbents in the AFL side are keeping this mad dog out.

Nope not joking, just aimed at dps little "so you must want Brent Stanton in for uncle drew" jab. Still making me mad, I hate hearing the name Brent Stanton. Especially when it comes at the other end of Out: McGrath

Stanton was very good yesterday. Will agree that he is not apart of the future but sometimes you have to think about the hear and now and if he could perform a role better than someone in the seniors then we should think about it.

[not at the expense of McGrath, he has been exceptional all year for us]

Stanton was very good yesterday. Will agree that he is not apart of the future but sometimes you have to think about the hear and now and if he could perform a role better than someone in the seniors then we should think about it.

[not at the expense of McGrath, he has been exceptional all year for us]

Best on against a weak northern blues does not = call up though. Brent is a VFL player now, will not come in unless we start getting injured. Too many guys ahead of him

this is the perfect game to give Begley a run. give Tippa a rest.

Best on against a weak northern blues does not = call up though. Brent is a VFL player now, will not come in unless we start getting injured. Too many guys ahead of him

Stanton was a class above. It wasn't just his possession count that was impressive, it was his decision making, his work rate, his ability to settle the team that stood out yesterday. He may very well be a VFL player now but it is handy back up to have.
[fwiw, do not think he will be selected in the AFL again barring an incredible run of injuries or a token send off game if we are out of finals contention]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back