Coaching Staff Eye on our Coaching (Ratten, Lade, Batchelor, Slater sign on)

Remove this Banner Ad

I suggested awhile ago that we should go after Hodge, and someone put on this forum the assistant coaches tenures.

I was dismayed regarding the years they have been here, I think that we really need some new blood, especially someone like Hodge.

Look at Richmond, they added new voices, and it seems either have had a positive affect on the playing group, or they playing a different style.

I personally, have had a gutful of the way we lose, I could understand if we only lost by small margins, but to still be losing by large margins is not an enjoyable way to sit through a game.

If we have a plan B when things are going wrong, I haven't seen it, but with new coaches with different ideas it cant be any worse, as long as we can get the right personnel.

I don't know if Richo is the right man to be our coach going forward, but I think he needs more time, because we are coming from a long way back.

I'm not in a position of expertise so I normally avoid these discussions, but I think there are couple of issues that are having a greater impact on the gameplan/development/list concerns than are being given credit for.

Richo has a reputation of being a great developer - I think from the odd player interview here and there and the way we set up that his development technique is to emphasise simplicity with the younger players so that they are concentrated on a relatively small set of roles within the team.

I think the concentration on simplicity in the short term reduces the number of guys going through the stoppage/centre bounce plans and reduces our flexibility in match. Crucially it means that he hasn't confused them by adding a significantly varied plan B at this stage as he's still not got them fully across a plan A.

I'm hopeful that when he's got his list fully up on a plan A we'll add a more physically manageable fallback plan B (or alternative plan A) which hopefully will allow more consistency across a season.

The other thing is underestimating the impact that our sheer lack of pace has on gameplanning. As we can't rely on our guys on the outside/in the mids to keep up with the opposition we've had to overcommit numbers to the outside as we were previously getting killed there. The over commitment is allowing the more technically proficient teams to simply to go back to where we've committed the numbers from and cut through us.

I really think adding a relatively small number of decent paced mids with good skills will have a massive impact on our gameplan potential and if we do we're not as far off as people are thinking.

I suggested awhile ago that we should go after Hodge, and someone put on this forum the assistant coaches tenures.

I was dismayed regarding the years they have been here, I think that we really need some new blood, especially someone like Hodge.

Look at Richmond, they added new voices, and it seems either have had a positive affect on the playing group, or they playing a different style.

I personally, have had a gutful of the way we lose, I could understand if we only lost by small margins, but to still be losing by large margins is not an enjoyable way to sit through a game.

If we have a plan B when things are going wrong, I haven't seen it, but with new coaches with different ideas it cant be any worse, as long as we can get the right personnel.

I don't know if Richo is the right man to be our coach going forward, but I think he needs more time, because we are coming from a long way back.

I'd be dismayed if we dismissed coaches on the grounds that they were too experienced in favour of a good player who has a record of questionable off-field judgement. My question is "why Hodge"? "Why will he be a good coach"? I would expect that Leigh Montagna whilst still playing, is just as good a coach as Hodge.

I'd be dismayed if we dismissed coaches on the grounds that they were too experienced in favour of a good player who has a record of questionable off-field judgement. My question is "why Hodge"? "Why will he be a good coach"? I would expect that Leigh Montagna whilst still playing, is just as good a coach as Hodge.

I think it's more about what Hodge brings tote table in terms of a successful system that is Hawthorn and Clarkson.

I think it's more about what Hodge brings tote table in terms of a successful system that is Hawthorn and Clarkson.

Like Ben McGlynn? ( Hawthorn AND Sydney ), oh but he's not famous like "Hodgey".
Seriously, recruiting random retired players with good reputations as a player or because they happened to come from a club who won some finals is a pathetic method of selection.

I see Chris Connelly rated richo the 3rd worst coach in the league on Sen this morning.

Of course, he also referred to him as Richison and also talked about us not having enough support for Jack StevenS and the injuries to McCartney. So I'm not sure I'll give his opinion too much weight

I would love to see 3 appointments.
1 Matty Egan as development coach
2 Adam Schneider as fwd coach
3 Robert Harvey as senior Assistant
Not sure who do those roles currently but they can GTFO .
Schneider no thanks, would prefer someone outside of the club and with experience

I would love to see 3 appointments.
1 Matty Egan as development coach
2 Adam Schneider as fwd coach
3 Robert Harvey as senior Assistant
Not sure who do those roles currently but they can GTFO .

Well at the moment Schneider has made certain that Beaumaris will be relegated from the A grade ammos. Also Harvey likely to be sacked from the pies.

Schneider no thanks, would prefer someone outside of the club and with experience

I like Schneider, very smart footballer, premiership player , experienced Sydney's winning culture and was a valued member of our Club , currently coaching Beaumaris .
Seems to tick a few boxes in assistant coach requirements IMO .

I like Schneider, very smart footballer, premiership player , experienced Sydney's winning culture and was a valued member of our Club , currently coaching Beaumaris .
Seems to tick a few boxes in assistant coach requirements IMO .

Schneider was a great influence on Lonie. Taught him to flop around like a ballerina.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the best bloke to be working FULLtime with our non dangerous small forwards .

He can also show them how to miss sitters in front of goal, like he did regularly.

Look away handballs - tick
Duck and flop - tick
Miss sitters - tick
Kick like a millionaire when you only get 5 kicks a game - tick

He's perfect.

Struggling at the Sharks ?
Havent they got Milney , Fish and Raph Clarke this season ?

THey haven't won a game. 2 draws one because of lightning. Only Milney playing. Chips played 2 games and has a bad back and Raph stayed in Darwin. Trying to talk him into playing again but all to late. They are certain to be relegated.

Like Ben McGlynn? ( Hawthorn AND Sydney ), oh but he's not famous like "Hodgey".
Seriously, recruiting random retired players with good reputations as a player or because they happened to come from a club who won some finals is a pathetic method of selection.
Our only premiership coach was a backman who played in an ordinary Saints team way back. Turned out to be one of the great coaches... the club recruited some great players and got the results.

THey haven't won a game. 2 draws one because of lightning. Only Milney playing. Chips played 2 games and has a bad back and Raph stayed in Darwin. Trying to talk him into playing again but all to late. They are certain to be relegated.

Sounds like A grade to much for their kids .

For starters. Intellectual property. He's also not just a mole. He's been an onfield leader of that club through all the successful years.
He'll have 18 coaching offers in front of him.

I see Chris Connelly rated richo the 3rd worst coach in the league on Sen this morning.

Of course, he also referred to him as Richison and also talked about us not having enough support for Jack StevenS and the injuries to McCartney. So I'm not sure I'll give his opinion too much weight

luckily for us chris connelly is incompetent

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Eye on our Coaching (Ratten, Lade, Batchelor, Slater sign on)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back