Unofficial Preview Face/Off - Adelaide v Brisbane - Round 13 - 4:15 June 27, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Great write up. Not sure if it has been mentioned already but you missed Mitch Robinson as an in for Brisbane.

Not in my ins? Gee, that's disappointing - I thought I'd got everyone, it's not like i forgot him either, just didn't add him.

#pooreffort

really in need of a % boosting win, if VB is sent to cool the oppositions point post and not stray we'll go close to 70+,
otherwise 30+. good read that!

A Tale Of Two Cities

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,.
9c8c966b7b54377a1f4ddc2cdb584582.jpg

All that aside when we move the ball quickly with handballs and kicks to advantage we do look dangerous. Luckily Leppa has decided that thats not really the go and the short kick to hit up a target followed by a long pause and a bomb up the line to the opposition is a much better way to go.

This has been the go to plan for the Crows for as long as I can remember. Stop stealing our moves!

A Tale Of Two Cities

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way-- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Now, I've never gotten around to reading this oft-quoted tale of the peasantry and the aristocracy set in 1775 London and Paris, but I think there are some striking parallels. Also, I thought it would be pretty bad-ass to start the Face/Off that way. But instead of London and Paris, we have Adelaide and Brisbane. Yikes. Instead of a working-class capital full of criminals and scum, we have Adelaide. And instead of a flashy capital full of sleaze and villany, we have Brisbane. Next time I do this, I'll compare David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest to Port's 119-point GF loss. You get super-karma points from me if you can work out the comparison I'll make between the two - post it in this thread!

View attachment 145950 View attachment 145951 View attachment 145952

Okay, so our logo has Magna in it. Which is a Mitsubishi car. Whoops. And Brisbane... they've got more logos than modern-era premierships! I stole that from somewhere obviously, Google it and thank Ben Newton with karma points. Also i threw Natus Ad Magna Gerenda into the Internet Anagram Server and got "A Guaranteed Damn Snag". That's not a good sign.

So like what's the haps since the last time they met?

Adelaide:

IN: Phil Walsh, Mark Ricciuto, Andrew Fagan, Kyle Cheney, Luke Lowden, Jake Lever, Harrison Wigg, Mitch McGovern, HarryDear, Reilly O'Brien, Keenan Ramsey, Anthony Wilson, general competence, a gameplan

OUT: Trigg (knob jockey), Sando, Angus Graham (delisted), Lewis Johnston (delisted), Shaun McKernan (delisted), Jared Petrenko (delisted), Jason Porplyzia (retired), Ben Rutten (retired), Luke Thompson (delisted).

Brisbane:

IN: Harris Andrews (Academy Nomination), Dayne Beams (trade), Allen Christensen (trade), Josh Clayton (father-son), Liam Dawson (Academy Nomination), Josh Watts, Jaden McGrath, Josh McGuinness, Billy Evans, Hugh Beasley, Cian Hanley, Matthew Hammelmann

OUT: Jonathan Brown (retired), Jack Crisp (traded), Jordan Lisle (delisted), Ashley McGrath (retired), Brent Moloney (retired), Joel Patfull (traded), James Polkinghorne (delisted), Andrew Raines (delisted), Patrick Wearden (delisted).

Adelaide went into this season with trepidation. A 3-0 start with what appeared to be a gameplan cheered the supporter base no end, yet as has often been the case for us, uneven performances and sputtering form has brought us back to 6-5. However, I believe aren't on the form rollercoaster as much as last year - the general rule being, we are good enough to beat up the teams below us, and not good enough to beat up the teams above us (which is how a ladder works I guess). We found the nucleus of a bad-ass backline in Kelly, Lever, Talia, Brown, Laird & Hartigan. Up front Betts and Cameron are doing well, but depending on your viewpoint Walker is good/bad and Jenkins is a marshmallow/soft marshmallow.

Brisbane's season has been much more interesting, sort of. I was sad they were losing Crisp - I thought he would have a break-out year, and he appears to be doing good so for the Woods - but they'd assembled quite a midfield: Tommy Rockliff, High Beams, Low Beams, Jack Redden, Daniel Rich, Allen Christensen, Stefan Martin, Dayne Zorko, James Aish, Sam Mayes. They still had Pearce Hanley and Jed Adcock down back. Sure Joel Patfull had buggered off to Greater Western Superannuation, but Daniel Merrett was still there, somewhere. What's that? Forwards? Forwards of what? Oh, forwards. Nope, got none. Well, they do have Josh Green, who led their scoring last year with 33 goals, and right now he's equal 30th (tied with Jesse White!) on the goalkicking list with 18.9 and Daniel McStay with 13.5 (equal 47th with Patrick Dangerfield!). Ah, Brisbane. The land where full forwards* don't exist. You'll remember Jonathan Brown. He's on one of those footy shows I don't watch now, booming out his impossibly deep voice to discuss footy stuff with mates, and good on him. However, the Lion's reliance on him as their goalscoring avenue for so long, meant they never bred a KPF to take over after he died. I mean, left. There was Fev (gold!), Aaron Cornelius, Jordan Lisle, Lachie Henderson... all gone now, and currently Jonathan Freeman, Michael Close, Matthew Hammelmann... the list goes on. Even Lueueueueueuberger cameos in the forward lines now, which is good because Stefan Martin overtook him in the ruck at a billion miles an hour.

a gratuitous gif of Emma Stone agreeing with me:

giphy.gif

So let's look at the line-ups from last round:

Our defence against their attack:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Adelaide's defence will have the measure of Brisbane's attack. It's a big call I know, but Talia should have the measure of Leuenberger despite the height disadvantage, and Hartigan will be able to keep McStay quiet. Cheney may go to Lester, Brown to Bewick, and Laird to O'Brien, leaving NVB to use his experience and guile to easily beat Zorko**.

Our attack against their defence:

Whilst the Brisbane defence is tall, I'm not sure they have the class to win here. Paparone has been a surprise packet for the back-line this year (after originally being drafted as a... key forward) and will get the job on Lynch due to his mobility. Bourke (3 games) / Clarke (47 games) / Beasley (2 games) will cross their fingers hoping the other two get Tex and Leroy. I don't know they've got anyone to go with Betts, nor Cameron. Adcock and Hanley will do their best, which is pretty good, but their defence will take some shuffling to get right.

Funnily enough, their defence is even less experienced than ours - but you have to start somewhere, hint hint.

Our midfielders slept with their midfielder's mums:

This will be the bit to watch. Jacobs has done well this season working around the ground, but he'll be up against Martin who does it longer and better; he will need to run with his man a lot more and he could be knackered quicker. High Beams has added a whole bunch of class since coming over, but they are an engine with the spark leads connected in the wrong order - lots of misfiring (if I understand engines right). So much talent in the middle: when it works it's great, when it doesn't... you're 17th with a % of 65. Conversely, we have a midfield of Mackay, Wright, VB... okay I'll stop being facetious, we have some guy no-one's ever heard of named Dangerford or Dingerfield or something, Slown, Smyth, Crotch, Dougless, and the Thompson Twins***. I'd expect our guys to come out on top here.

The Milk Carton People

Hang on deaneus - aren't there some names missing? are you so ridiculously good-looking you've omitted people?

Hey, you're right. Also I yes missed some people. No serious look at this game could go without discussing both teams horrible run with injuries. We know about ours... how Smith got concussed when he tried to tackle Reiwoldt? How Shaw did his ham- what? he's alright and playing in the 2's? What the ****?

List courtesy of AFL.com.au - last week

Adelaide Injury Estimated Return
Harry Dear Shoulder TBA
Mitch Grigg Ankle TBA
Ricky Henderson Back Test
Matt Jaensch Knee Season
Sam Kerridge Ankle 2-4 weeks
Jake Lever Ankle 1-2 weeks
Luke Lowden Achillies/illness Test
Andy Otten Knee 4 weeks
Sam Shaw Concussion Test

Brisbane Lions Injury Estimated Return
Jed Adcock Calf 1 week
James Aish Jaw 2-3 weeks
Claye Beams Knee Season
Michael Close Knee Season
Jonathan Freeman Ankle 4-6 weeks
Darcy Gardiner Calf Test
Cian Hanley Knee Season
Ryan Harwood Concussion Test
Matt Maguire Concussion Indefinite
Jaden McGrath Foot 8-10 weeks
Luke McGuane Knee Indefinite
Daniel McStay Finger Test
Daniel Merrett Hamstring 1-2 weeks
Jackson Paine Ankle Season
Jack Redden Back Test
Tom Rockliff Ribs 3-4 weeks
Brent Staker Hamstring 1 week
Trent West Knee 1 week

Those of you who have been following the Crows know our injury list has been ridiculous. Also, Sam Shaw, concussion? Do his hamstrings have concussion? FFS. Of course he played on the weekend and did very well, so I expect him to injure himself shortly and be out again. As for Brisbane, perhaps their pre-season training had them runnings under ladders, crossing the paths of black cats.

Tom Rockliff's most recent injury

0.jpg

Final prediction:

in the corresponding Face/Off thread last year, I predicted Brisbane by 20, based on our utter inconsistency and their final quarter the week before. We won by 105, basically twenty-one goals (goals, not points) different to my educated guess*****. So, let me quote some sporting odds:

View attachment 145959

Now, if I know sports betting - and I don't - I reckon Adelaide are favourites, and are even money to win by 4 goals. My tip is we should win by 40 points.

*that's KPF forwards. You'll find they do have some good short forwards - Green, Taylor.
** God help us / Allah willing.
*** description of Adelaide midfield brought to you by the Advertiser sports section, voted #1 for accuracy in reporting****.
**** that was also inaccurately reported, but by me instead.
***** thanks to Danoz for the correction - apparently, twenty goals plus six points equals twenty six goals in my head, which would be fine if i wasn't an accountant.
Done it again mate! Top effort

(Log in to remove this ad.)

will tex make it on the park? feels like not much has been made for it.
I am wondering the same. I am also interested in who would be game day stand in captain? If Tex out. Could cause another round of media BS if PD doesn't don the cap. My thoughts would be Sloane. Hope Tex makes it though

Except when *you* bomb it long you are aiming for a Walker ... when *we* bomb it long we aiming for a Luenberger :(

You would think that, given he's our best key forward, but you'd be surprised how often we seem to try bomb it long when aiming for Eddie Betts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Face/Off - Adelaide v Brisbane - Round 13 - 4:15 June 27, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back