Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

**** you nunez you coward.

clears throat

Men of Rohan! Of Gondor! My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. An hour of wolves, and shattered shields, when the Age of men comes crashing down. But it is not this day, this day, we fight!

I teared up. You're back!

Unfortunately time travel doesn't exist. Joe kicks that last shot and we might’ve lost if we made changes in the last 10

No, it doesn't, but "Footy Nous" does (at least at GWS & Collingwood - who both changed things up after being nearly blown away in the first quarters) ........... and I wasn't necessarily referring to the last 10 minutes. We could, at least, have tried something earlier when the opposition was getting a roll on so as to, maybe, not have needed Joe to do what he's paid to do late on.

Look, we can go on back & forward ..... maybe we can agree on the simple fact that, kick a reasonable amount of "gettable" goals that presented, and we most likely would've won*.

* both games - Bad kicking for goal is bad football

Seems we've moved from Joe to Fagan about why we lost on Saturday...

View attachment 2084598

How would you know whether Chris Scott would do better but I’m not naive enough to completely discount out of hand everything in that article isn’t true. He is a poor match day coach, countless people on here say as much and whilst he’s done exceptionally well, we’ve still achieved nothing.

David King or Champion Data aside; what is he wrong about if you’re looking at our lack of success impartially?

How would you know whether Chris Scott would do better but I’m not naive enough to completely discount out of hand everything in that article isn’t true. He is a poor match day coach, countless people on here say as much and whilst he’s done exceptionally well, we’ve still achieved nothing.

David King or Champion Data aside; what is he wrong about if you’re looking at our lack of success impartially?

King is no better than the plebs on here who are silent when we are winning and then say fagan can’t coach when we lose

I can understand your frustration McIvor but I just don't see it as something I personally can get all bent out of shape about, what the Lions do on field is a total uncontrollable for us supporters. I do love the discussion and banter on here about our prospects though.

I just enjoy the journey and try not to get obsessed with the ultimate goal(the flag), if you are you will be disappointed/depressed most years. Even the Cats and Hawks who have won 4 flags this century have been "losers" in 20 post 1999 seasons in that time as non GF winners.

It has been a fantastic ride being a Lions fan, no flag since 2003 but plenty of fantastic memories.

eg. Miracle on Grass.. Pandemonium at the Gabba.. Great Finals wins(beating the Demons in a Semi Final at the G a couple of seasons ago was still the most elation I have felt at a live game).. and plenty of thoroughly enjoyable wins at the Gabba particularly since 2019.. unforgettable live GF experiences in 2004 and 2023.

King is no better than the plebs on here who are silent when we are winning and then say fagan can’t coach when we lose

This is just the most trite stuff though?

I mean I agree, I think Chris Scott is the best tactical coach in the comp so he probably would do some things differently. But he's not our coach and won't ever be so what's the point?

If we are real we are comparing Fages to actual alternatives - unproven assistant coaches or guys like Buckley who have a pretty similar record whilst playing more boring footy.

I’d have much more respect for King if he had been pushing this view even when we were on a winning streak.

It’s a bit weak to go silent for 9 weeks and only come back to it again when we lose.

Hey McIvor needs articles to quote when they support his rants
Unlike your one line jibes or criticisms on every match day thread.

At least I'm willing to post Lions content on here when I come across things, but sure, more than happy for y'all to find it yourselves (which maybe you do anyway).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand your frustration McIvor but I just don't see it as something I personally can get all bent out of shape about, what the Lions do on field is a total uncontrollable for us supporters. I do love the discussion and banter on here about our prospects though.

I just enjoy the journey and try not to get obsessed with the ultimate goal(the flag), if you are you will be disappointed/depressed most years. Even the Cats and Hawks who have won 4 flags this century have been "losers" in 20 post 1999 seasons in that time as non GF winners.

It has been a fantastic ride being a Lions fan, no flag since 2003 but plenty of fantastic memories.

eg. Miracle on Grass.. Pandemonium at the Gabba.. Great Finals wins(beating the Demons in a Semi Final at the G a couple of seasons ago was still the most elation I have felt at a live game).. and plenty of thoroughly enjoyable wins at the Gabba particularly since 2019.. unforgettable live GF experiences in 2004 and 2023.
Appreciate all that, but to not win anything throughout this era is disastrous. Sure, coming down and watching us win more often that the losses like we used to is much more enjoyable, but its all pretty pointless if the club doesn't mature up and win one once in this period. Wasteful in fact.

Appreciate all that, but to not win anything throughout this era is disastrous. Sure, coming down and watching us win more often that the losses like we used to is much more enjoyable, but its all pretty pointless if the club doesn't mature up and win one once in this period. Wasteful in fact.

Except we'd be as big a basket case financially as the expansion clubs if we hadnt performed this well

Completely understandable tbh.

I think there's an onus on coaches of top-8 teams needing to win a premiership in their first few years with a club otherwise they're just wasting the list according to media pundits. Like, Chris Scott at Geelong for example, he won one with a terrific list in 2011 and then it took him another 11 years to win another one. Despite King calling for Geelong to sack him in 2019.

Hard to say it is disastrous, disappointing, sure but you need a hell of a lot to go right, at the right time to win a premiership. Last year we were very close and I would bet my left nut that we that game anywhere but on Collingwood's home ground. We did that while losing Ashcroft and Payne who at their best would've made up the 4 point difference and having Ah Chee underperform due to injury.
Do I think it is possible that with Scott, Clarko, Mitch or someone similar as our coach that we would have won one by now if not this year? I sure do but it is also possible that the list we have and the talent we have been able to bring in isn't here without Fages.

David Kings assertion that Chris Scott would do better with our list is simply filling his contractual radio airtime and subsequent written articles. There's no way of knowing that's the case.
Round-23 we got beaten by 1-point by a Collingwood team that are playing for their spot in the finals. Geelong got overrun to the tune of 18-points by a St Kilda team with nothing to play for, from a slightly greater margin. Aside from round-23, we're 2 points behind Geelong on the ladder, who have been equally up and down this season.

The reason we're 5th on the ladder is all 95% about goal-kicking. The other 5% from Saturday is how we couldn't shut down the game in the last 5 minutes, but this can come down to individuals giving away free kicks, not coaching.

God I would hate to coach... I would be utter shit at it.

The balance between faith/trust and panic/reactiveness is such an incredibly fine line. I wouldn't even try.

How does Fages reconcile our first quarters with our second? How does he compare our utter domination to our complete capitulation 5 minutes later?

His faith is his weakness at times I think but man what a headfuk our team can be. I'm not sure how you can anticipate what we do next.

To me it's not so much game day coaching that fails us, our best beats anyone and we and they know it. It's something from week to week we need to work on and that's more about the people around him than Fages himself.

Last edited:
God I would hate to coach... I would be utter shit at it.

The balance between faith, trust and panic, reactiveness is such an incredibly fine line. I wouldn't even try.

How does Fages reconcile our first quarters with our second? How does he compare our utter domination to our complete capitulation 5 minutes later?

His faith is his weakness at times I think but man what a headfuk our team can be. I'm not sure how you can anticipate what we do next.

To me it's not so much game day coaching that fails us, our best beats anyone and we and they know it. It's something from week to week we need to work on and that's more about the people around him than Fages himself.
Well said - experienced players missing regulation goals over and over must give Fages recurring nightmares...just coach killers.

Fagan's been an amazing pick up to coach our club and has built an outstanding list and in return gotten great loyalty from the players.

No one's perfect. Even coaches that have won 4 flags have made some big mistakes and had moments they'd rather forget.

My impression is that Fagan has mollycoddled the players too much and that we don't respond well to real pressure. It's evident with each passing year.

Do I want to sack him ? Of course not . Has he been an outstanding coach for our club ? Of course. But imo he needs help and a tinkering in approach to get this list to get the best out of themselves. There I said it.

That shouldn't be taken as a criticism of him per se because it's a tough job where most fail every year . Some for years on end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back