Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe it’s time for some fresh ideas and less Yes men around Fages

Am I doing it right?
Watching the Midweek Tackle and I’d say Daly is goooooooooonnnnnne sadly.
Yeah I saw that too, Fages to head of footy would be a good move if he were to step away from coaching.

Fagan's loyalty to senior players is admirable, but I'm glad he's realised that it was preventing new blood from coming in, and we've benefited from being able to have that now.
agree, but a little concerned regarding the second last quoted sentence in the article, virtually states those boys with injuries will be back in the team. Kiddy yes, Linc likely (although I like Kai).

agree, but a little concerned regarding the second last quoted sentence in the article, virtually states those boys with injuries will be back in the team. Kiddy yes, Linc likely (although I like Kai).
It's a collective term, and I don't know how much that applies to every single player who did their ACL. Gardiner might not have a place in the team when everyone is fit, for example.

I do think Linc returns because we've been atrocious at kicking for goal this year and Linc is the most accurate kick for goal of all our forwards. Maybe Ah Chee drops out so Kai can stay in the team.

It's a collective term, and I don't know how much that applies to every single player who did their ACL. Gardiner might not have a place in the team when everyone is fit, for example.

I do think Linc returns because we've been atrocious at kicking for goal this year and Linc is the most accurate kick for goal of all our forwards. Maybe Ah Chee drops out so Kai can stay in the team.

I think Lincs field kicking will be a valuable attribute. Apart from Morris we don't have forwards capable of that perfectly waited kick to a forward running into space

Many may disagree, but I do still see AhChee as the weak “Linc” in the forward line currently.
Could easily see him going out for Linc next year or AhChee moves further up the ground or to sub.
He isn’t as good as Linc at applying pressure, pinpointing a kick off both left and right like Linc or Goal kicking accuracy imo.

Darcy Gardiner will find it much tougher to get back in the team once Doedee is fit and as long as Morris stays in good form.

Kiddy will be a walk up start once completely fit.

Many may disagree, but I do still see AhChee as the weak “Linc” in the forward line currently.
Could easily see him going out for Linc next year or AhChee moves further up the ground or to sub.
He isn’t as good as Linc at applying pressure, pinpointing a kick off both left and right like Linc or Goal kicking accuracy imo.

Darcy Gardiner will find it much tougher to get back in the team once Doedee is fit and as long as Morris stays in good form.

Kiddy will be a walk up start once completely fit.
I agree about Ah Chee, he just doesn’t get enough of the ball imo. He really plays a cameo role where he might do 3 or 4 really good things but then almost disappears for the rest of the game. He was badly shown up in the GF last year and was replaced at 3/4 time from memory. If we could get him to improve his output over 4 quarters he could be a major influence on the team, but not sure if he can manage to do that.

I agree about Ah Chee, he just doesn’t get enough of the ball imo. He really plays a cameo role where he might do 3 or 4 really good things but then almost disappears for the rest of the game. He was badly shown up in the GF last year and was replaced at 3/4 time from memory. If we could get him to improve his output over 4 quarters he could be a major influence on the team, but not sure if he can manage to do that.

100% agree with this and the previous commentary, and have stated similarly previously.

He can certainly have a presence in the air (for a medium size player), but I think he can get fumbly when the ball hits the deck, and his decision making isn't great at times either (McCarthy has him covered on both fronts for mine).

Be interesting to see the makeup of the team once McCarthy is fit again.

Darcy was struggling to hold a spot in the team already before his ACL. He was squeezed out of the backline and trying to be squeezed into the forward line. We would have loved him available in the backline after he did his ACL.
I think he’ll be one of the options in the backline in 2025, but no certainty. Totally dependent on form and injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy was struggling to hold a spot in the team already before his ACL. He was squeezed out of the backline and trying to be squeezed into the forward line. We would have loved him available in the backline after he did his ACL.
I think he’ll be one of the options in the backline in 2025, but no certainty. Totally dependent on form and injuries.
He will be great depth, for sure 👍

Sounds like the perfect sub.

Interesting that Eagles not announced McQualter yet. Seeing demons out of finals.
So you think coach is either Montgomery or the Daly as both involved in finals..
If Daly was just getting announced as a pairing for McQualter as footy manager.
You think that not stop them announcing he is the coach. Seeing they after some tigers boys who know him well.

Interesting that Eagles not announced McQualter yet. Seeing demons out of finals.
So you think coach is either Montgomery or the Daly as both involved in finals..
If Daly was just getting announced as a pairing for McQualter as footy manager.
You think that not stop them announcing he is the coach. Seeing they after some tigers boys who know him well.
Steven King now Cats assistant is also being considered to.

Mmmm…

Brisbane Lions to extend coach Chris Fagan’s contract to 2026 regardless of finals results​

Brisbane Lions’ hierarchy will back Chris Fagan in with a contract extension regardless of how the Lions finish finals and despite a poor start to 2024.

Brisbane will back long-time coach Chris Fagan to the hilt, with a one-year extension on his current deal certain to be in place before the start of next season, regardless of how the Lions’ rollercoaster 2024 season ends.
Fagan said last week that he would walk away from the Lions if he did not consider him the right man for the job.

But the Herald Sun understands the Lions’ hierarchy has seen enough across his entire tenure and has been impressed by his steady hand this season following a 0-3 start to guarantee an extra year. It would see the 63-year-old locked away until the end of the 2026 season.

Fagan has yet to put pen to paper, but the Herald Sun believes an extension will be done with the coach before the start of next season, and potentially as early as before Christmas.

The deal could see Fagan (187 games) overtake Brisbane triple premiership mentor Leigh Matthews (237) as the coach with the most games in the club’s history.

The Lions are yet to win that elusive premiership in Fagan’s eight seasons at the helm, despite coming close in last year’s thrilling grand final loss to Collingwood, which remained alive until the final siren.

At times Fagan has been criticised for a lack of cutting edge acumen, but as he showed again this season, he has a close connection to the playing group and insiders credit him with helping to resurrect the club’s season when it was sliding away earlier this year.

The Lions take on the Giants on Saturday in an effort to keep their season alive, coming off the back of an elimination finals victory over Carlton last week.

A one-year extension, which pushes his current deal into 2026, is seen as a fair reward for the coach who has taken the Lions to six consecutive finals appearances – the best current streak of the current clubs.

The club is bullish about the premiership window remaining open for some time given they will secure father-son Levi Ashcroft in the first handful of picks and academy selection Sam Marshall in the first round.

The injection of youth in recent seasons has seen the likes of Darcy Wilmot, Kai Lohmann, Logan Morris and Jaspa Fletcher continue to take strides, despite five knee reconstruction victims which hurt the depth at stages.

All five players who suffered ACL injuries are expected to be ready by the start of next year.

Fagan said after the finals defeat of Carlton last Saturday that he was thrilled so many of those players had stood up on the big stage.

“I was a little bit worried about them, to be honest, because the first final can be a little bit overwhelming but we had a couple of really good guest speakers,” Fagan said.

“I interviewed ‘Hodgey’ (Luke Hodge) and Trent Cotchin who is doing some leadership stuff with us and they talked about what they thought was important in finals. There were good messages for everyone in the room but particularly our younger players and I thought they all contributed well.

“Wilmot was terrific, Lohmann was great, Logan Morris, Ashy, Fletchy did his two bobs worth. It has been one of the great things about our season. The crisis with knee injuries has created some opportunities for young players and they stood up tonight.”

Huh, that's surprising news.
Impossible. But who knows ,maybe we've more Docherty's on our hands.

I'm not unhappy about extending Fagan till 2026 and can see why we'd do it.

But I'd be equally happy if we got hold of someone else and Fagan stayed on as Director of coaching.

Of course it's too hard to go through that process if Fagan wants to stay on ,as he's entitled to.

Interesting to see how we finish the year off.

Call me negative but I think it's a bad choice. 2025 would have been a perfect year to bring in an understudy to take over from 2026 onwards.

Provided the above does happen but using 2026 as the understudy year and 2027 as the takeover year, I could be okay with that. Effectively giving 2025 as the final year for Fagan and Fagan alone to finish things off.

Call me negative but I think it's a bad choice. 2025 would have been a perfect year to bring in an understudy to take over from 2026 onwards.

Provided the above does happen but using 2026 as the understudy year and 2027 as the takeover year, I could be okay with that. Effectively giving 2025 as the final year for Fagan and Fagan alone to finish things off.

Our understudy is already in place. #DoTheDew

I was under the impression that Mr Dew had consolidated credentials as an assistant but shown he was not a good fit for the senior coach role...?

No one is a good fit to coach Gold Coast.

(I tend to agree as I did not love how Gold Coast played at all under Dew, but my question on that is recruiting).

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back