Favourite Player in Long Sleeves

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberlicious

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2008
Radelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
I just replied in the "They played for you, but are one of ours" thread, and happened to mention Brad Plain.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here, but my enduring memory of Plainy was the long sleeves.

This got me thinking, because as a kid I preferred the long sleeves, even to the extent of buying an extra guernsey to wear underneath. Probably had more to do with the fact I had stick arms as a kid, but even as an 85 kg FB/CHB in my twenties I still preferred the longies.

There have been some absolute greats wear the longies over the years, like Hirdy & Tucky, as well as some cult heroes such as Andrew Jarman (also a superb footballer) and Simon "Axe" Atkins.

There's also the category of those who donned the longies on the odd cold occassion, I can remember Ron McKeown wearing them.

I know there will be a raft of you to say "longsleeves are pissweak", but let's try to keep that out of it and remember our stick armed bretheren who donned the mighty longies!!

• Banned
Hird wore one sometimes didn't he?

That's one of the reasons behind my bromance with Hirdy, plus he shat all over Plainy!!!

I can remember, about 2000-ish, when Hird, Caracella, Heffernan, Solomon and Blumfield (I think), all sported the longies in a couple of games.

Tucky started the trend, Hirdy made it popular!!

How soon they forget

The greatest ever Saint

mark.jpg

How soon they forget

The greatest ever Saint

mark.jpg

Many apologies :eek:

How the hell did Barks not win a Brownlow - blonde hair, long sleeves, took a speccy, he had it all!

Swannies - I can remember Mark Bayes wearing the longies on occassions, can anyone confirm?

Also, I seem to remember the Bears having a 'no long sleeves' policy sometime in the early 90's, part of a plan to toughen up the team. I know Craig Lambert wore them at Richmond, but I'm not sure if he was forced into the sleeveless guernsey or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hirdy for me, the only lions player who i can recall that often wore long sleeves is ash mcgrath. adem yze wore them a lot as well, although rolled up to the elbows iirc

Bayes was a big bandit for the Long Sleeves....

As was Brad Seymour IIRC.....

I knew I liked Bayesy for more than the raking left foot!!

Seymour - good get!

SOS wore them quite a bit, more so than Hirdy i would have thought

How could I forget SOS!! Me playing FB in my longies and all...

Great champion, shame about the team...:p

Ironic that the first player u mention was Bradley Plain, when i read the thread topic, he was the first player i thought of as well.

SOS was a big long sleeve wearer, and Brad Hardie was too, to the point that at brisbane when he went there, he wore a sorn off jumper that resembled a t-shirt cos it was too hot for the sleeves but didnt want to get the shoulders burnt...

Ronnie McKewan was a regular magpie long sleever, and I reckon Brett Allison was too at the Kanga's. what about Jeff Hogg, i reckon he might've been a long sleeved wonder as well from memory. He wasn't a regular wearer, but i reckon i remember David Schwarze rolling around in them from time to time as well...

Justin Longmuir. Extremely talented so much so he looked lazy especially with the long sleeves, Career ruined by degenerative knee problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Favourite Player in Long Sleeves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back