Fixture Fixture Change - Playing Sydney in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

The G would be preferable as both teams would have more supporters in Melbourne (and we lost the chance to play there against Carlton).

I'm looking forward to the chance to break two losing streaks at grounds without playing the home tenant in the one season though.

Not where I expected us to play and I’m not looking forward to the drive down to bloody Geelong but it is what it is.

They have lost their home game and are stuck in Melbourne. They deserve the right to choose where they want to play. They have chosen to play at a ground we are awful at as the four points is their main priority rather than ticket sales which would be larger if played in Melbourne.

Doesn’t matter where we play them, if we are good enough we win.

First let’s deal with the Bulldogs then we can worry about them after.

One week at a time.

The G would be preferable as both teams would have more supporters in Melbourne (and we lost the chance to play there against Carlton).

I'm looking forward to the chance to break two losing streaks at grounds without playing the home tenant in the one season though.
Yes, there is some delicious irony in that.

Seriously though. Why is anyone complaining that it's moved? If the shoe was on the other foot and we played the game at Adelaide Oval we'd all be cheering at how smart our club is.

Should still beat them so just deal with it. It's their home game, no need for Facebook level sooking here.

It's an away match, the club were always going to travel interstate to somewhere.

If anything, it presents as the perfect motivator for the team to atone for its performance there in Round 6.

Win and it will be the first time that the club has won matches at the SCG and Kardinia Park during the same season since 1999.

1. Availability - The MCG and Marvel aren’t available. There’s two games already scheduled at each ground and none of them can be played on the Friday without giving someone a short break. So both grounds are already in use Saturday and Sunday.

2. Home team’s choice - Sydney can’t play at their home ground so they should be able to have a say in where they play it, within reason. They’re basing themselves in Vic, there’s three AFL grounds there, they can nominate any of them.

3. What’s the issue for us? The game has been shifted from a ground on the East Coast we don’t play well, to a ground on the East Coast we don’t play well. Melbourne based fans might struggle to get there, but they’ll have much more of a chance than they would have if it was being played at the SCG as originally planned.

But apart from that yeah it’s an outrage, I’m furious,

Can’t believe the AFL scheduled some of our Qld hub games last year at the Gabba, knowing we don’t win there much and knowing that we were staying closer to Metricon. What possible reason could they have had other than doing their utmost to shaft us?

Other than, you know, logistics and stuff.

So when do you propose the game will be played, and what will be the Thursday (possibly) and Friday night games?

Because there are already 2 games each at MCG and Marvel that weekend, unless one of them were Friday (and there is only one option for that) then the grounds are booked.

If that weren't the case I'd maybe side with you, but in reality the AFL probably decided as much around ground availability as anything.

And I'm annoyed that I can't (or won't, because of the extra hour travel) go. 100% would have at a Melbourne stadium, but too far to Geelong from the east, south East or southern suburbs.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thank you for your reply. I am not sure about the fixturing, I think something could be done if the will was there.
I don’t live in Melbourne, but I had an idea that it would be difficult for supporters of both clubs to attend. You have confirmed this view. A small crowd becomes a negligible one. Clearly, that is not the priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Latest information is that we will be playing Sydney in Geelong. As far as I am concerned this decision stinks. What criteria have the AFL used to make this decision? Not crowd support - there would be minimal support for either team in Geelong. Not logic - they have two ‘A’ class stadiums in Melbourne in the MCG and Marvel which could host the game. The only reason is that they have listened to silly Matthew Lloyd who had serious credibility as a player but far less as commentator who had a brain wave that Sydney should press the AFL to hold the game in Geelong because the Eagles record is so poor there. And the AFL appear to have listened to him. The criteria as espoused by Lloyd is make it as hard as possible for the Eagles to win. The AFL should give up all pretension to be a serious, impartial body. They are there to further the interests of VFL teams and anti Eagles. This should be in their mission statement. Stop pretending otherwise. This is truly disgusting and sickening.

Tom Harley probably the only person happy with the game being played at Geelong ..
😜

Jokes aside and I don`t mind your opinion but looking positively I would say this a good opportunity for WCE to get familiar with the ground v a neutral team without a biased crowd ..

OP is correct in saying Matthew Lloyd chugs **** though.
giphy.gif

Playing Sydney at Kardinia Park is still better than playing them at the SCG

And by a considerable margin

Compared to most, if not all, other sides we’ve been relatively unscathed by fixture adjustments due to covid. Haven’t lost a home game and only one ( the derby) have we not been able to have a crowd. The Sydney game will be the second time this season we play an away game at a neutral venue

We’ve also managed to avoid any significant lockdown/quarantine measures since our training ban for a week during preseason

Don’t think we have much cause for complaint

Really missed the chance to put AFL back at princess park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would have been good but it’s undergoing reconstruction at the moment. It’s a building site.

Sydney isn’t going to be going home anytime soon. The next step will be working out where they hub.

It still makes sense when you take the tin foil hat off. Crowd sizes in Victoria are still limited, you can only play so many games at MCG/Marvel in a weekend and noone in Melbourne will care about Sydney v WCE outside of the supporters of both clubs, which won't match the crowd a Melbourne team can pull. There's a perfectly good stadium down the road so shifting our game makes more sense compared to shifting games involving Victorian clubs.
From watching lots of games at marvel we are good for 5k fans there at least - sydney can pull a crowd too - geelong will have tumble weeds and crickets

Fixturing is what it is and all, but I hope the club uses this internally to generate a bit of an us-versus-them vibe for this game. GWS had their home game against the Hawks sent to the MCG so building a narrative of the AFL screwing us does work.

Even if it is a stretch here, I think that mentality was an important ingredient in 2018 and might help get the team up and about so we should take any chances to get it back.

The current Swans lineup would also be quite different to the team that won most of those games in Geelong anyway. If we bring our A game this is completely winnable and could easily backfire on Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back